U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-09-2014, 06:01 AM
 
Location: Toronto
12,892 posts, read 12,856,972 times
Reputation: 3959

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
they're more typically Canadian if anything. Though the French-speaking ones obviously don't get much American influence.
Actually Nei - I think you'd be as likely to find a Montrealer shopping at Walmart or watching Interstellar at a Cineplex as you would a Torontonian.. I will say however that there is certainly a more developed separate French language culture obviously but the American influence both corporately and culturally in terms of stores, TV and movies is still very very strong.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 11-09-2014, 06:02 AM
 
Location: Toronto
12,892 posts, read 12,856,972 times
Reputation: 3959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
Well they own a house in arizona so you are wrong.
Well maybe they talk about America so much because they live there? lol.. most Canadians don't though a lot of snowbirds (retired Canadians) do because of cheap real estate and nice weather.. They can afford it and the bones can't take the cold no more in the winter.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-09-2014, 06:03 AM
 
Location: Northern Ireland
3,402 posts, read 2,907,248 times
Reputation: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Actually Nei - I think you'd be as likely to find a Montrealer shopping at Walmart or watching Interstellar at a Cineplex as you would a Torontonian.. I will say however that there is certainly a more developed separate French language culture obviously but the American influence both corporately and culturally in terms of TV and movies is still very very strong.
I'm not talking about shops we have walmart here and forever 21 etc but culture.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-09-2014, 06:04 AM
 
1,274 posts, read 1,089,048 times
Reputation: 1415
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Yes what the heck is that all about - GOD its annoying

Its like the insecure person who needs to constantly be reminded how much he is loved and how great he is....
Indeed. I think this thread should have been closed after Camaro's excellent post a few pages back considering nobody has made a convincing argument against him.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-09-2014, 06:09 AM
 
Location: Northern Ireland
3,402 posts, read 2,907,248 times
Reputation: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well maybe they talk about America so much because they live there? lol.. most Canadians don't though a lot of snowbirds (retired Canadians) do because of cheap real estate and nice weather.. They can afford it and the bones can't take the cold no more in the winter.
Yes they said they moved because they can't take the cold anymore.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-09-2014, 06:09 AM
 
Location: Toronto
12,892 posts, read 12,856,972 times
Reputation: 3959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
I'm not talking about shops we have walmart here and forever 21 etc but culture.
what culture are you referring to? music, movies, tv? who doesn't watch American TV or Movies or listen to American music.. If you do it doesn't make you American. I like to listen to Pavarotti - does this make me Italian?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-09-2014, 06:10 AM
 
Location: Toronto
12,892 posts, read 12,856,972 times
Reputation: 3959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
Yes they said they moved because they can't take the cold anymore.
Ok so that's why they talk about America.. You answered your own question
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-09-2014, 06:15 AM
 
Location: Northern Ireland
3,402 posts, read 2,907,248 times
Reputation: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
what culture are you referring to? music, movies, tv? who doesn't watch American TV or Movies or listen to American music.. If you do it doesn't make you American. I like to listen to Pavarotti - does this make me Italian?
Well what exactly seperates the two countries? I struggled to find differences.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-09-2014, 06:24 AM
 
Location: Toronto
12,892 posts, read 12,856,972 times
Reputation: 3959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
Well what exactly seperates the two countries? I struggled to find differences.
I don't get your logic... I'm pretty sure you listen to American music, watch American TV shows and watch American movies... Does this mean that the UK or any other country that heavily consumes American 'culture' should be required to justify its separation from the U.S? Again I think you can find all the answers on your own if you think about it logically. Aside from that, if you are that interested in what actually does separate Canada from the U.S or any other nation for that matter - why don't you visit us and see and experience it for yourself..

If you need an example or two - many Torontonians go to the Symphony and listen to performances from Composers the world over and more so foreign than domestic but this doesn't mean that because we listen to more foreign performances than domestic that we aren't separate from Italy, Russia, France etc.. It also doesn't mean that I don't engage in Canadian performances or watch locally produced Canadian theatre at the Tarragon theatre...
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-09-2014, 06:27 AM
 
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
11,261 posts, read 14,797,356 times
Reputation: 13506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
Well what exactly seperates the two countries? I struggled to find differences.
Government, sometimes political views, some minor cultural things and other small stuff.

I've seen you complain about the Irish, but I'd bet nobody but the people from NI and Ireland could tell the difference between the two of you.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top