U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2014, 10:20 AM

16,561 posts, read 24,768,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Everyone ******* about America, Owen. The only difference is we're brothers. We're going to fight and have our disagreements, and things we don't like about each other over here. But we always love more about each other than have issue with, and will stand up for each other against all threats. At the end of the day, we have the same roots, and as a result, mostly the same traditions. Not because we're a "copy cat". We have the greatest partnership, and most powerful bond in the history of the world.
Exactly and we would defend one another like brothers do by default. If some foreign power ever threatened Canada, most Americans would find that highly offensive, more so than if it happened to another country. I would imagine Canadians feel the same way.
Rate this post positively

Old 11-09-2014, 10:21 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,906,854 times
Ok so here is the accent tag videos.

Accent Tag - Canadian (Toronto) - YouTube

Doesn't sound too Canadian as me.

Accent tag: Winnipeg, Canada!! - YouTube

this is what I associate with Canadian accent. Although hers isn't very strong..

Old 11-09-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
That's just what neighboring countries do. Canadians talk about the US, we talk about them as well as Mexico and Mexicans talk about the US. All three countries however have a love and respect for one another.
A yea I sincerely doubt that the same relationship exists.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
Indeed. I think this thread should have been closed after Camaro's excellent post a few pages back considering nobody has made a convincing argument against him.
^^^^EXACTLY^^^^

Now, let's see if I'll be chastised for agreeing with you.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
Well what exactly seperates the two countries? I struggled to find differences.
System of government comes to mind. Major differences there. The US is a republic, Canada is not. Canada's head of state is the queen. The US does not and has not ever recognized a monarch. Canada has a parliament, the US has a congress and there are important differences between the two. The American equivalent of a Prime Minister is the Secretary Of State.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:33 AM

And how can you be sure of that? We have our own secretary of state..

Old 11-09-2014, 10:37 AM

4,557 posts, read 5,735,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
The American equivalent of a Prime Minister is the Secretary Of State.
Nope. The Canadian equivalent of the Secretary of State is the Minister of Foreign Affairs. The Canadian Prime Minister is head of government, just like the President of the United States.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Ok so here is the accent tag videos.

Accent Tag - Canadian (Toronto) - YouTube

Doesn't sound too Canadian as me.

Accent tag: Winnipeg, Canada!! - YouTube

this is what I associate with Canadian accent. Although hers isn't very strong..
There are different accents in Canada just like there are in the US and like there are in Ireland. As I mentioned earlier, people from Minnesota, especially northern MN as well as North Dakota are often mistaken for Canadians when they speak. However, Vancouver has a completely different accent, more typical of the west coast in general.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:40 AM

Well I don't live in Ireland lol. Yes I know i've actually been there and heard the Minnesota and Canada accent but what i'm saying is that the Toronto accent is more American than Canadian.. at least the Canadian that I know of.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
A yea I sincerely doubt that the same relationship exists.
Of course it's not the same, it's a different country. However I can assure you that Tijuana is probably more conneccted to the US than Toronto is. Many people who live in TJ work in San Diego. Some of them are Americans who have moved there for cheaper rent. San Diego and Tijuana are very closely connected. Three of our radio stations and one TV station actually broadcast from TJ even though they are American owned English language stations. Now, should Tijuana join California?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.