Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2014, 04:51 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
You should move to a better place then. Venezuela or Zimbabwe would probably be good places for people with your mentality.
How about Canada?

Old 09-10-2014, 06:02 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
These incidents DON'T happen frequently - which is why they make the news when they do.
Good point... Even in Toronto which is regarded as one of if not the safest large city in N.A you are going to have bad and sensational things happen from time to time (see article below re 2012 Eaton Centre shootings in busiest mall in Toronto) and they make the news exactly for the reason you specified - they really don't happen that frequently. I have been to this mall frequently before and after the shooting and the most drama I've seen is long line ups at Old Navy.

Families of two men killed in 2012 Eaton Centre shooting sue alleged shooter, police, Crown | Toronto Star

Odd and tragic connection to this story is that a young woman - Jessica Ghawi who evacuated the Eaton Centre and was eating at the food court when the shootings occurred was from Colorado and was in Toronto visiting her boyfriend - she escaped unharmed but the very next month she was one of the 14 victims killed in the Aurora movie theatre shootings!

Anyway point to all this is we can constantly live our lives in fear or just accept that sometime bad and random things happen.. I'll just go on and enjoy my life and take measured risk knowing that I can minimize but never 100 percent prevent myself from being exposed to bad things unless I lock myself up in my room - no thanks!

Last edited by fusion2; 09-10-2014 at 06:18 PM..

Old 09-10-2014, 09:28 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
That to but just imagine a thousand drro's all on one website, that is basically Reddit, Linkdin, some Facebook pages (you can always tell the pages with a non-American admin).

City-Data is actually pretty moderate.
Thing is, why do you let it get to you? It can only bother you if you decide it does. I am from Berkeley, CA. Berkeley, the city everyone loves to hate and talk crap about. California, the state the most Americans seem to hate the most. Just go read the CA forum on this site. Oh that's right, you do pop in there on occasion and badmouth California in a very similar way you claim others are doing about the USA. My point is, not everyone is going to like where you're from and they don't have to. If you're going to defend an inaccuracy fine but you don't need to jump onto every post that expresses an opinion that differs from yours, capiche?

Old 09-10-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Man, come on, your entire username on this forum is dedicated to just quoting someone's criticisms (valid or not) and offering no proper counter other than something along the lines of 'what's wrong with being car dependent?' or 'who cares if we want to carry guns?, or 'It's none of your business.'. Well, yes actually, it's a discussion and people are allowed to throw their opinions around. You have to actually drum up some sort of structured opinion or insight instead of just passing everything off as an unfounded attack on American culture.
^^This got ya a rep

Old 09-10-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Culturally significant countries (USA and UK) get the most criticism.

Is that not the truth?
Oh yeah because people just love Russia and China and North Korea is absolutely adored.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
You should move to a better place then. Venezuela or Zimbabwe would probably be good places for people with your mentality.
^^^People like you have such a narrow view of things. I don't think that person was serious but if they were, why Venezuela and Zimbabwe? Why not Germany or France?

Old 09-10-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
How about Canada?
Or Canada, exactly!

Old 09-11-2014, 01:10 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Where do you think all the illegal guns come from in Canada and Mexico.
They come from Canadian and Mexican demand.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:33 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Thing is, why do you let it get to you? It can only bother you if you decide it does. I am from Berkeley, CA. Berkeley, the city everyone loves to hate and talk crap about. California, the state the most Americans seem to hate the most. Just go read the CA forum on this site. Oh that's right, you do pop in there on occasion and badmouth California in a very similar way you claim others are doing about the USA. My point is, not everyone is going to like where you're from and they don't have to. If you're going to defend an inaccuracy fine but you don't need to jump onto every post that expresses an opinion that differs from yours, capiche?
Whatchu talking about? when have i bad mouthed California?

i bet you don't even know which state i was born in?

I actually love California and think its the best state in the nation and this country would take a huge blow if "California were to fall into the ocean" no i wouldn't live there, its not for me but i don't bad mouth it because i'm not a hateful person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Oh yeah because people just love Russia and China and North Korea is absolutely adored.
Those countries are also very powerful, i personally think the United States is more hated than those countries but yes i do think its unfair all the hate that is being spewed towards Russia and i highly dislike how everything with a "Made in China" label is automatically seen as a negative thing in this country.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:36 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Whatchu talking about? when have i bad mouthed California?

i bet you don't even know which state i was born in?

I actually love California and think its the best state in the nation and this country would take a huge blow if "California were to fall into the ocean" no i wouldn't live there, its not for me but i don't bad mouth it because i'm not a hateful person.
He's not referring to you. He's referring to some forums posters look to bad-mouth California. He doesn't waste his time getting worked up about it, why do you get bothered by stupid criticism of America?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World