Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2014, 07:06 AM

9,970 posts, read 12,351,742 times

Advertisements

United States of Europe.

Old 11-02-2014, 02:33 PM

1,398 posts, read 1,483,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You've never gone through customs at an airport? Wow! How did you get so lucky?
I was trying to be sarcastic because I think it's little ignorant to call Europe a country

Old 11-02-2014, 06:38 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,572,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
I was trying to be sarcastic because I think it's little ignorant to call Europe a country
'

Who called Europe a country?

Europe is an entity. It's a union of countries. But when you come into EUROPE from a country outside the EU, you go through CUSTOMS no matter what EU country you enter through.

You may be entering Germany, or France, or whatever, but you're also entering EUROPE.

And by the way, I used the term "Europe" rather than the specific country I came through because I was traveling through Europe - not just one country. In fact, I honestly can't remember whether I came into Europe via Belgium or Germany on that particular trip.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:25 AM

11,048 posts, read 16,812,223 times
Generally speaking, the people who "hate" America are just as ignorant and stupid as the people that they profess to be the driving factor behind their hate of America.

Too bad we can't just give them an island somewhere and let them sort it out Lord of the Flies style and get on with our lives

Old 11-06-2014, 12:27 PM

4 posts, read 3,604 times
Like every other country on Earth, America has it's fair share of problems. The reason why "everyone hates America" (which is debatable) is not only a reflection of the US government's questionable decisions that affect other countries, but that the average Joe is simply too blind to see that America is not the greatest country on earth. Unpatriotic? No. Realistic.

There are many countries that do things better than we do, and many that do things worse. But anybody who finishes the phrase "I'm from America" with "greatest country in the world." has likely never left the country and has no clue about what the rest of the world can (and does) do better than us. If you were to ask someone with an illness that needed expensive treatment, would they value America as the greatest country in the world when so many others offer affordable healthcare? How about all the supposed freedom we have - is every other country a dystopia? Wake up. We're not the only ones that have freedom.

It's relative to what an individual perceives as what makes a country so great. Now, I've lived in various countries around the world and the most shocking thing I learnt is that America's version of history is often vastly different to everybody else's. In other countries they learn about both sides of history, the good and the bad, yet we're taught our version - America's version - of events, and it paints us in such a heroic light. You want to know why people hate us? It's because the majority of us are ignorant, arrogant about our achievements, dismissive to other countries, insulated, and overly-defensive against anybody who dares to say a bad thing about America.

If we want to change anybody's mind about America then we need to start educating ourselves. If we want to be respected by the rest of the world, we can't just act like it's owed to us... we gotta ****ing earn it.

Rant over.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:00 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,322,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro4 View Post
Like every other country on Earth, America has it's fair share of problems. The reason why "everyone hates America" (which is debatable) is not only a reflection of the US government's questionable decisions that affect other countries, but that the average Joe is simply too blind to see that America is not the greatest country on earth. Unpatriotic? No. Realistic.

There are many countries that do things better than we do, and many that do things worse. But anybody who finishes the phrase "I'm from America" with "greatest country in the world." has likely never left the country and has no clue about what the rest of the world can (and does) do better than us. If you were to ask someone with an illness that needed expensive treatment, would they value America as the greatest country in the world when so many others offer affordable healthcare? How about all the supposed freedom we have - is every other country a dystopia? Wake up. We're not the only ones that have freedom.

It's relative to what an individual perceives as what makes a country so great. Now, I've lived in various countries around the world and the most shocking thing I learnt is that America's version of history is often vastly different to everybody else's. In other countries they learn about both sides of history, the good and the bad, yet we're taught our version - America's version - of events, and it paints us in such a heroic light. You want to know why people hate us? It's because the majority of us are ignorant, arrogant about our achievements, dismissive to other countries, insulated, and overly-defensive against anybody who dares to say a bad thing about America.

If we want to change anybody's mind about America then we need to start educating ourselves. If we want to be respected by the rest of the world, we can't just act like it's owed to us... we gotta ****ing earn it.

Rant over.
Well, you will be branded a communist, unpatriotic person who should move to China or Iraq (notice those that say stuff like this always pick a country like that?). The part about the history we are taught coun't be any more true as well.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:13 PM

125 posts, read 162,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Well, you will be branded a communist, unpatriotic person who should move to China or Iraq (notice those that say stuff like this always pick a country like that?). The part about the history we are taught coun't be any more true as well.
I don't care if he/ she is a real communist and I don't view patriotism as a virtue, but this person has pilloried the 'murican stereotype and made the exact opposite mistake as the 'murican. The rant isn't any closer to reality than one of the insular types. It's the "I'm wonderful and I'll throw everyone else under the bus" types.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:37 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,479,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Most people around the world don't think twice about us. The Japanese I met while visiting their country reacted in a neutral manner to me being from the U.S., but gave me very positive and energetic reactions when I specified California.

Overall, the most antagonistic countries towards the U.S. will be in the Middle East and Latin America (especially south of Mexico) where the U.S. has a long history of interference, so they have very good reasons. Nonetheless, you will find though that while their governments are not U.S. friendly, the average person will treat you with respect as long as you do the same.

France/Paris is a special case. I'm not sure what their problem is exactly...maybe they are annoyed by our patriotism because it mirrors theirs (both countries have too much of an ego.)

Evening, Rudy!

You hit the nail on the head with your first sentence. In my travels I've observed that most people couldn't care less about anything American and simply view it as another country 'out there.' Conversely, most Americans I know (and I've lived in the States) appear to think that the whole world revolves around America. If people are annoyed by Americans, it is this 'superior' attitude (ego is a good word, thanks) that irks them, I think. That's about it.

I was born and bred in Scotland but have traveled most of the world, and the only reason I crossed the pond when I was eighteen was to sing and play with John Denver (may he rest in peace). I lived in Aspen for a long time, and didn't think I'd leave there, but I fell in love with and married a Canadian. What can I tell you? I now live in the mountains in Canada.

I didn't notice any French animosity towards Americans, but then I wasn't looking for it, so it's possible I missed it. A good friend of mine, now deceased, used to say "It's wrong to be French!" He had it as his sig. line. He was American. LOL!

Mahrie.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
Evening, Rudy!

You hit the nail on the head with your first sentence. In my travels I've observed that most people couldn't care less about anything American and simply view it as another country 'out there.' Conversely, most Americans I know (and I've lived in the States) appear to think that the whole world revolves around America. If people are annoyed by Americans, it is this 'superior' attitude (ego is a good word, thanks) that irks them, I think. That's about it.

I was born and bred in Scotland but have traveled most of the world, and the only reason I crossed the pond when I was eighteen was to sing and play with John Denver (may he rest in peace). I lived in Aspen for a long time, and didn't think I'd leave there, but I fell in love with and married a Canadian. What can I tell you? I now live in the mountains in Canada.

I didn't notice any French animosity towards Americans, but then I wasn't looking for it, so it's possible I missed it. A good friend of mine, now deceased, used to say "It's wrong to be French!" He had it as his sig. line. He was American. LOL!

Mahrie.
The idea that Americans have a "superior attitude" is silly and in itself a product of irrational antipathy.

I've lived outside of the US for about 10 years (6 here in Australia) and the US features in the news on a daily basis. Everything is negative. People hate us for the very things that they are guilty of themselves.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Generally speaking, the people who "hate" America are just as ignorant and stupid as the people that they profess to be the driving factor behind their hate of America.

Too bad we can't just give them an island somewhere and let them sort it out Lord of the Flies style and get on with our lives
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.