Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2014, 09:59 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,798,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I agree with everything you said BUT Europe has some of the same problems. The UK has a very large underclass of trashy, uneducated, ignorant people.

I spent some time in the Netherlands and Belgium and the teenagers there are just as lost as ours are. In some ways, it is worse in Europe because European teens have more access to alcohol and drugs IMO.

Nonetheless, there is a huge underclass of uneducated, overweight, trashy American people that most Europeans don't get to see because most tourists don't go where most of these people live.

I definitely recommend a road trip through the states of Kentucky and West Virginia if you want to see the America that most people don't know.
Uhm don't bring great states into this that you know nothing about to try and prove whatever idiotic, liberal I'm better than others in the U.S, sell out point you're trying to make. I think you're the one that needs to take a road trip and please come to me I'll school you son about people from WV and Kentucky.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 09-28-2014 at 10:07 AM..

Old 09-30-2014, 10:26 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,441,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
The world does not know that America hates itself. On the contrary, what we constantly see is that Americans love their country, more than most other countries do.
Ever heard of Freud?

The "love" you speak of is at the conscious level. The self-hate and reciprocal hate are at the subconscious level.

I agree with whoever said earlier that deep down, Americans hate each other - along with everyone else. America invented the culture of rugged individualism, grab-it-first competitiveness, "stick to yourself and don't get too close, please", and really ...just "go make love to yourself" and "F if I care".
Perfect recipe for widespread mental illness - whether diagnosed or not.

Pre-emptively speaking... no, the culture of "volunteerism" and "citizenship", very developed in the US, doesn't qualify as love of fellow humans, and not even love of fellow nationals.
Formal volunteering is merely a functional, and ultimately, self-oriented action. It does not indicate genuine love or care for others.

I agree that all in all, the US is the COLDEST culture the world has ever created.
Much more than the British, Scandinavian or any other icy cultures you can think of.

Many love its material glitter; or at least, the promise for material glitter and all the restlessness it involves. Those who need more spiritual satisfaction from life and less agitation, will automatically have a hard time dealing with this culture.

Watch the "Queen of Versaille". When some people see that, they finally understand what H looks and feels like.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:15 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Ever heard of Freud?

The "love" you speak of is at the conscious level. The self-hate and reciprocal hate are at the subconscious level.

I agree with whoever said earlier that deep down, Americans hate each other - along with everyone else. America invented the culture of rugged individualism, grab-it-first competitiveness, "stick to yourself and don't get too close, please", and really ...just "go make love to yourself" and "F if I care".

Pre-emptively speaking... no, the culture of "volunteerism" and "citizenship", very developed in the US, doesn't qualify as love of fellow humans, and not even love of fellow nationals.
Formal volunteering is merely a functional, and ultimately, self-oriented action. It does not indicate genuine love or care for others.

I agree that all in all, the US is the COLDEST culture the world has ever created.
Much more than the British, Scandinavian or any other icy cultures you can think of.

Many love its material glitter; or at least, the promise for material glitter and all the restlessness it involves. Those who need more spiritual satisfaction from life and less agitation, will automatically have a hard time dealing with this culture.

Watch the "Queen of Versaille". When some people see that, they finally understand what H looks and feels like.
You need to find people with better character to hang out with. But of course, they're going to expect their friends to have good character too.

Maybe you're projecting. I don't know - but you're not describing the Americans I know.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:38 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,313,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You need to find people with better character to hang out with. But of course, they're going to expect their friends to have good character too.

Maybe you're projecting. I don't know - but you're not describing the Americans I know.
Great insight Kathryn!

My dad always said that birds of a feather flock together, therefore it would appear that people of similar character, background, and taste seem quite comfortable keeping company with like minded individuals.

I suppose this can certainly color ones feelings and perceptions about a great many things...even an entire country and its people.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:07 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manbury View Post
Most of the world does not hate American more than American liberals hate American conservatives and viceversa, but the bolded part is one of the few legitimate reasons not to love America.
I think these people are a vocal minority and they mostly express their intolerance on the internet... the rest of us are just fine. we know how to communicate with other humans who have different political beliefs than us... than you have all those people who don't even give a crap about politics.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:11 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
We are stereotyped to have a more individualistic society but individualist does not equal hate.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:22 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,798,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I think these people are a vocal minority and they mostly express their intolerance on the internet... the rest of us are just fine. we know how to communicate with other humans who have different political beliefs than us... than you have all those people who don't even give a crap about politics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manbury View Post
Most of the world does not hate American more than American liberals hate American conservatives and viceversa, but the bolded part is one of the few legitimate reasons not to love America.
Well the problem with American liberals is they generally live in bigger cities and think they're better than the rest of the country that live in small towns, small cities, and rural areas. It's not just a political thing many of them think they are superior beings in general just because they are Vegan, do yoga, and went to a certain college.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:29 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
I'd just like an honest opinion about this, especially from Europeans and Asians. Its like everyone is against America and has a bone to pick against it. Is it because USA is the only superpower left? Is it because USA is the watchdog of the world and interferes with other countries? Is it because its perceived as colonizing and taking over oil reserves half a world away? Is it because of economic disparity or racism, in light of recent events going on?
Endless wars for oil mainly, and religious extremism. I wouldn't say hate though.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:47 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,931,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
I'd just like an honest opinion about this, especially from Europeans and Asians. Its like everyone is against America and has a bone to pick against it. Is it because USA is the only superpower left? Is it because USA is the watchdog of the world and interferes with other countries? Is it because its perceived as colonizing and taking over oil reserves half a world away? Is it because of economic disparity or racism, in light of recent events going on?
Invading countries for no reason('weapons of mass destruction' so oil) while judging and threatening other countries when they do the same, overall arrogance and ignorance, keeping up the appearance of 'America is the best, America is the no. 1' while in real life you do worst in everything compared to other Western countries: education, health care, crime rates, poverty rates, build quality of products like cars, economy. The EU is the worlds superpower btw, not the US anymore. Another example of keeping up the appearance of 'America is the no. 1'.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:50 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Well the problem with American liberals is they generally live in bigger cities and think they're better than the rest of the country that live in small towns, small cities, and rural areas. It's not just a political thing many of them think they are superior beings in general just because they are Vegan, do yoga, and went to a certain college.
I'm an American liberal who loves steak, have never done yoga and went to a little known college and later a trade school. I know plenty of conservatives who are vegan and do yoga.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World