Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2014, 03:34 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I agree. After about a minute or so, I can hear the subtle differences. Southern Ontario especially still has the slight rounding of the "ou" vowel. To most American ears, the word 'about' sounds like 'aboot' but to my ears I can hear that the vowel is actually somewhere between an "ow" sound and an "oh" sound. I still speak with mainly a Bay Area accent and some people in San Diego will occasionally ask where I'm from as here, people tend to draw their vowels out more.
When American's point out to me that they hear " aboot " for "about " I answer

" I have a boot on foot so I'm about to go out " Then then hear the difference

Old 11-09-2014, 03:39 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
america needs coda 12 step.

we are bent on fixing everybody except ourselves.
we fixed france by bombing them out of existence.
they had no insurance. they starved for years before they came back from the bombings.
nazi occupation was minor compared to what we did. france did not like jews so they didnt burst into tears when the germans carted them off. the french did not want their cities leveled, which is what we did when we "saved them".
we think we are "saving" the mideast but instead we prop up puppet governments nobody wants and have elections nobody honors. the mideast resolves its debates with firearms. we dont get it do we? allah blesses the best marksman. allah supports NRA.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:11 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,380,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyjerz View Post
Cockney sounds "arrogant"? It sounds working class to me.
I meant Cocky lol not Cockney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
He hasn't even been to America ignore him hes ignorant.
I have been to the US, and very funny ''love''

Old 11-09-2014, 04:12 PM

125 posts, read 163,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post

they had no insurance. they starved for years before they came back from the bombings.
nazi occupation was minor compared to what we did. france did not like jews so they didnt burst into tears when the germans carted them off. the french did not want their cities leveled, which is what we did when we "saved them".
we think we are "saving" the mideast but instead we prop up puppet governments nobody wants and have elections nobody honors. the mideast resolves its debates with firearms. we dont get it do we? allah blesses the best marksman. allah supports NRA.
I don't think that anyone thinks that the US is "fixing" the ME.

There are perfectly legitimate reasons that the US is hated by many people around the globe. But it is also illegitimately hated by the people who live in the first world and are protected and thrive in under essentially the same system. That's why this thread keeps going. There isn't a legitimate reason for anyone from the UK, Ireland, Europe, Canada or Europe to hate the USA. But those are the people who post here. And that's understandably grinding to some Americans who post here.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I meant Cocky lol not Cockney!
How can an accent be cocky, then? I think that your default position is negative. I can live with people being bigoted. It happens. But people on this board try to legitimize their antipathy and the results are comical. Peeing down my back and telling me that it's raining.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
How can an accent be cocky, then? I think that your default position is negative. I can live with people being bigoted. It happens. But people on this board try to legitimize their antipathy and the results are comical. Peeing down my back and telling me that it's raining.
My default position is negative, what is that suppose to mean?

People on here get so defensive jesus..

Old 11-09-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
My default position is negative, what is that suppose to mean?

People on here get so defensive jesus..
It means that you have knee-jerk antipathy. It's ok that you're a bigot. But at least be honest about it.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
It means that you have knee-jerk antipathy. It's ok that you're a bigot. But at least be honest about it.
Do you know what ''bigot'' means? I don't think you do.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:50 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
When American's point out to me that they hear " aboot " for "about " I answer

" I have a boot on foot so I'm about to go out " Then then hear the difference
haha, yeah I think it depends on the accent an American speaks. I think the closer our accent is to a Canadians, the better we're able to hear the subtleties.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:53 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post

Well, I do agree that the middle-east is actually more dangeous than it used to be. Saddam Hussein may not have been a good person but there were no terrorist in Iraq under him. Now, no one can get control of Iraq except ISIS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World