Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 10:14 AM

347 posts, read 695,390 times

Advertisements

[Reposting in the world forum]
I know race is a social construct that means little at a global level. This is made evident by the fact that one country's racial stereotypes won't exist in another. But nonetheless I've noticed a few global racial stereotypes that I think hold true.

1. Black people love music and especially dance. Music is for dancing not sitting quietly and listening to. I've found this to be true whether it's African Americans and their hip hop, Jamaicans and their reggae or Africans and their myriad music forms. Black people love dancing and it comes naturally and spontaneously (no rehearsed steps). It's funny to me to see Youtube videos of little kids dancing like it's some big deal when as a person who lives in the Caribbean you see barely able to walk kids dancing literally all the time.

2. White people love animals. I really believe whites have a special bond with animals. I think it's nice to be caring but the irony of the fact that they can treat their dogs much better than their fellow human sometimes is totally lost on them. I remember the first time I went to my white Canadian husband(then bf's) house and saw a family professional pic taken at a photo studio with the dog included lololol. Here the photo studio wouldn't have even allowed a dog inside. Even here in the Caribbean the local arm of the SPCA here is mainly populated by Caribbean whites. I also am somewhat aghast at all the aww pics and videos that go viral of puppies cuddling with, sleeping with and kissing babies. That's considered eww and unsanitary here.

3. South Asians love light skin. Living in a country that is 40% of Indian descent I have seriously never met one who isn't enamored by light skin. And from meeting other South Asians overseas I've found that to be pretty true with them too.

As I said these are just a few stereotypes that I have noticed hold true globally. Most racial stereotypes are bullocks in my experience and come down to cultural expectations in a specific country more than anything ...to name a few :
1. Americans believe East Asians are academically inclined. Here in the Caribbean the local Chinese descent population (they have been here for about 200 years) have no expectations of being bright and hence perform about average. Right now I'm helping out my friend's fully Asian daughter who is 2 years behind in school and struggling with math
2. Poor blacks in America dream of being great athletes or musicians to get out of the ghetto which I think is due to what society expects of them. Poor Africans dream of getting an education to be one of the big three (doctor, lawyer, engineer)
3. East Asians can't drive. THis one seriously had me scratching my head. Only heard of it when I went to NOrth America for university. Sounds pretty crazy and random...and definitely does not hold true outside of America.

Has any well travelled, well exposed person noticed any similar global stereotypes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 10:31 AM

244 posts, read 361,918 times
These seem pretty "true". I do notice that white people love animals, where as in America many blacks can be weary of them :P. Realistically, people from all over the world are in love with animals, but I did kinda giggle when you said it was a white thing.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:44 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Wherever I have traveled, I don't notice racial stereotypes as I always try to get to know people individually.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:44 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Lots of truth to these I guess. I am one who doesn't really fit anywhere though. I am black. I love animals and have been around them my whole life. I also love music, especially dance music but ironically, couldn't dance to save my life.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:56 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,306,909 times
Chinese people are weird: I could give you a lot of examples but a video I watched today about some Chinese guy making fake eggs with chemicals to sell to consumers. WTF to the 10th power. Who does that?

Old 08-30-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Wherever I have traveled, I don't notice racial stereotypes as I always try to get to know people individually.
As do I...that's why I said most racial stereotypes are false.
But that doesn't prevent me from noticing some trends that span countries.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:05 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
What race are you? I would like to racially stereotype you.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
What race are you? I would like to racially stereotype you.
I'm black.My ethnicity is Afro-Caribbean. And yes I do like to dance.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:07 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,426,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post

2. White people love animals. I really believe whites have a special bond with animals. I think it's nice to be caring but the irony of the fact that they can treat their dogs much better than their fellow human sometimes is totally lost on them. I remember the first time I went to my white Canadian husband(then bf's) house and saw a family professional pic taken at a photo studio with the dog included lololol. Here the photo studio wouldn't have even allowed a dog inside. Even here in the Caribbean the local arm of the SPCA here is mainly populated by Caribbean whites. I also am somewhat aghast at all the aww pics and videos that go viral of puppies cuddling with, sleeping with and kissing babies. That's considered eww and unsanitary here.
Rather than white people as a whole I would say that descrption fits Anglos, especially North Americans.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:45 AM

15 posts, read 19,294 times
East Asians are not all smart or nerdy. There are still many people in East Asia who are not white-collar workers. College graduates do white collar jobs, this is the view of people in East Asia. It may be true for Asian Americans to be mostly academically inclined, have a good pay white collar job etc, but I don't think it is the same in East Asia. There are many with less education working as farmers, factory workers and prostitutes in China and Vietnam. There are also shopkeepers, drivers, security guards and prostitutes in Singapore, HK, Taiwan, Japan and South Korea.

The can't drive thing is a bit true. Driving or owning a car is not as popular in East Asia due to some reasons. But in places like Vietnam, Taiwan, China and Macau, many people ride a scooter or bicycle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post
1. Americans believe East Asians are academically inclined. Here in the Caribbean the local Chinese descent population (they have been here for about 200 years) have no expectations of being bright and hence perform about average. Right now I'm helping out my friend's fully Asian daughter who is 2 years behind in school and struggling with math
3. East Asians can't drive. THis one seriously had me scratching my head. Only heard of it when I went to NOrth America for university. Sounds pretty crazy and random...and definitely does not hold true outside of America.

Has any well travelled, well exposed person noticed any similar global stereotypes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World