U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How politically correct are people in your country?
To a fault 30 68.18%
Not at all 14 31.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 11:03 AM

24,257 posts, read 20,839,800 times

Advertisements

Finns are quite straightforward and even blunt, so not very politically correct. In coffee-table conversations you can say pretty much what you like, if you can back up your words. Part of this stems from the traditional distrust for the "elite" and also from the height of the Cold War when some topics couldn't be discussed openly in the media, mainly about the USSR.

Of course politicans have to balance with words sometimes, but you can speak openly about certain topics, like immigration, religion, elderly care, the military, same-sex marriages, crime and so on. A person who is handicapped is handicapped, or in popular street-speech - a retard. When speaking about jokes, nothing is holy, and they can be pretty nasty.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 11:20 AM

24,341 posts, read 30,633,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Finns are quite straightforward and even blunt, so not very politically correct. In coffee-table conversations you can say pretty much what you like, if you can back up your words. Part of this stems from the traditional distrust for the "elite" and also from the height of the Cold War when some topics couldn't be discussed openly in the media, mainly about the USSR.

Of course politicans have to balance with words sometimes, but you can speak openly about certain topics, like immigration, religion, elderly care, the military, same-sex marriages, crime and so on. A person who is handicapped is handicapped, or in popular street-speech - a retard. When speaking about jokes, nothing is holy, and they can be pretty nasty.
French-speaking Canadians often get into trouble in this way given that we live in an extremely PC part of the world. In fact, compared to most countries in the world we are quite PC. But nowhere near the PC-ness of English Canadians and even to some degree, Americans.

This contrast often leads to stereotypes, assumptions and even prejudices on the part of other Canadians vis-à-vis French-speaking Canadians, who are often judged based on the Anglo-Canadians PC-meter, which is calibrated super-high.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:26 AM

4,043 posts, read 6,648,781 times
Home Country: the way I knew it, not at all, but it may have changed slightly with the young generation, Lord Forbid should they miss on any "progressive" move and dissolve behind into "backwardness".

Current Country: so bad I want to cry.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:56 AM

7,612 posts, read 6,031,248 times
^Which countries are you referring to?If I may ask.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:25 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,078 posts, read 45,847,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
But really, it exists to a certain extent, and there are instances when the law oversteps the line, but a lot of the time people scream 'politically correct' because they can't say offensive things under the guise of a joke (and this is another tricky area - when a joke stops being a joke and becomes downright offensive).
Don't see any need. Why should it be the law's business to police offensiveness? Seems dangerous to have the government be a speech police.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:25 PM

14,978 posts, read 10,543,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
French-speaking Canadians tend to be less PC than English-speaking Canadians. English-speaking Canadians can be extremely PC.

What's interesting for example is in some parts of Canada you have bilingual signs. In Canadian English, referring to someone as "handicapped" is largely verboten now. You have to say "persons with disabilities". But in French (less PC) it's still OK to use "handicapés".

And so you might have a sign that says: "Bureau of Persons with Disabilities / Office des personnes handicapées".
Both are used here in BC. We still say " handicap parking ". In Quebec don't you too use both " handicapées"
and "invalidite" ??

Old 09-10-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Here in the USA, I would say about 50/50. Most Conservative, Right Wing people abhor political correctness.

I can't think of anything more stupid than political correctness but at least, we have laws that protect people's right to speak their minds. As much as I don't agree with the KKK, I think they should have the right to speak their minds, as long as no crime is committed.

Most Liberal, Left Wing people dream about an Euro style politically correct society where all races get along, they all hold hands and sing about diversity together. You are allowed to speak your mind as long as you don't offend anybody.

I have heard some stupid Left Wing Liberals say that people who are "racist" should attend mandatory "diversity training" as if taking some stupid course on diversity and other Leftist utopic BS will make a person less racist.
As long as the racist isn't breaking the law I don't think many left wingers would support mandatory training.
However, education, probably wouldn't hurt since racism stems from ignorance.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:35 PM

24,341 posts, read 30,633,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Both are used here in BC. We still say " handicap parking ". In Quebec don't you too use both " handicapées"
and "invalidite" ??
Handicapé(es) is what is used 99% of the time. Invalidité is a word but is not really used in this sense.

The closest to PWD (persons with disabilities) in French is "personne avec/ayant une déficience". It's the PC term of choice but is usually only used in bureaucraticspeak, and even there "handicapé" is much more common.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Handicapé(es) is what is used 99% of the time. Invalidité is a word but is not really used in this sense.

The closest to PWD (persons with disabilities) in French is "personne avec/ayant une déficience". It's the PC term of choice but is usually only used in bureaucraticspeak, and even there "handicapé" is much more common.
I'd argue it's the same in BC. The people use handicap, the gov't agencies to a much lesser extent.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:42 PM

14,873 posts, read 19,025,829 times
I am not here to stereotype but i'm just saying every Chinese immigrant i know are not politically correct at all.

I remember one of them defending drone strikes killing innocent muslims because "well, they all look the same because they wear towels on their face so its okay"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World