Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How politically correct are people in your country?
To a fault 30 68.18%
Not at all 14 31.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 10:44 PM

156 posts, read 287,375 times

Advertisements

Do you ever feel tired in their presence? Do you feel fatigued talking to them because everything has to be so perfectly embellished, and it has to please everyone?

What's the situation in your country like? I mean are people more inclined to being politically correct as a form of upbringing or do they speak their mind?

In my country, people are so politically correct, the meter reading crashes through the roof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 11:57 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Not at all,and in Taiwan it's not a good thing because it means that people simply state their discriminatory thoughts out loud,and those who agree would echo loudly right away.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:11 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,306,909 times
Here in the USA, I would say about 50/50. Most Conservative, Right Wing people abhor political correctness.

I can't think of anything more stupid than political correctness but at least, we have laws that protect people's right to speak their minds. As much as I don't agree with the KKK, I think they should have the right to speak their minds, as long as no crime is committed.

Most Liberal, Left Wing people dream about an Euro style politically correct society where all races get along, they all hold hands and sing about diversity together. You are allowed to speak your mind as long as you don't offend anybody.

I have heard some stupid Left Wing Liberals say that people who are "racist" should attend mandatory "diversity training" as if taking some stupid course on diversity and other Leftist utopic BS will make a person less racist.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:49 AM

872 posts, read 1,384,779 times
Street preaching against homosexuality leads to arrest here.

Police Arrest US Street Preacher in Scotland for Calling Homosexuality a Sin
American Evangelist Arrested in London for Preaching Homosexuality Is a Sin

As far as the legislature is concerned, it's pretty terrible. People's general attitudes are a different story, however, many being outraged by the actions of the police in this case and against the irrational way public order laws are being enforced:

Boy arrested for calling police horse "gay" | Metro News

Old 09-09-2014, 05:10 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
"Boy arrested for calling police horse "gay""

LOL

But really, it exists to a certain extent, and there are instances when the law oversteps the line, but a lot of the time people scream 'politically correct' because they can't say offensive things under the guise of a joke (and this is another tricky area - when a joke stops being a joke and becomes downright offensive). A limit needs to exist, because people shouldn't be allowed to go around hurling abusive things at people and then claiming 'freedom of speech', but at the same time, if someone wants to preach abstinence or sexual morality or whatever, then no harm done. The person isn't causing harm to me, because I will ignore them, and I suspect most people would.

The above case is a good example of the law overstepping the line - the man in question wasn't targeting homosexuals or inciting hatred from what I can gather, so there was no need for an arrest. I mean, I don't agree with him at all, but he isn't being hurtful. It's silly to arrest him but not arrest the braindead morons who parade with the English Defence Leage across the country (note: I think they have a right to exist, but it's a double-standard as the EDL stand for something more offensive than what that man was preaching - the EDL are a step beyond UKIP and more like the BNP).

I don't think there should be any tolerance for groups who outright hate particular groups of people such as the KKK. I can somewhat relate to a bunch of Christians going around proclaiming that homosexuality is a sin (even if I think it's bullshit), but there's no logic behind wanting to kill black people (or people of any racial minority - because race is clearly an area completely beyond our control). Ditto for neo-nazis and similar nutjobs.

I think Sweden is a good example of a country that probably takes political correctness to the extreme. If people can't even reference to lady parts without feminists getting huffy, then there is a problem.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 09-09-2014 at 05:30 AM..

Old 09-09-2014, 05:56 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
In France, if officialdom and most big medias are PC, with the people it's quite another matter, I believe the UNcorrectness dominates largely, due to traditional French free thinking and distrust of the powers that be...

Old 09-09-2014, 05:59 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,306,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I think Sweden is a good example of a country that probably takes political correctness to the extreme. If people can't even reference to lady parts without feminists getting huffy, then there is a problem.
Sweden is becoming a center for political correctness and pseudo intellectualism. I read an article about these "gender neutral" schools in Sweden where boys and girls are not addressed as boys and girls but rather "equals"

Old 09-09-2014, 06:35 AM

531 posts, read 594,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionIMPOSSIBRU View Post
an example of PC liberalism going full retard.

But nowhere near as some of the stupidity taking place in Sweden. Like feminists taking objection to the "right" that men can pee standing up.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:18 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
French-speaking Canadians tend to be less PC than English-speaking Canadians. English-speaking Canadians can be extremely PC.

What's interesting for example is in some parts of Canada you have bilingual signs. In Canadian English, referring to someone as "handicapped" is largely verboten now. You have to say "persons with disabilities". But in French (less PC) it's still OK to use "handicapés".

And so you might have a sign that says: "Bureau of Persons with Disabilities / Office des personnes handicapées".

Old 09-09-2014, 09:46 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
French-speaking Canadians tend to be less PC than English-speaking Canadians. English-speaking Canadians can be extremely PC.

What's interesting for example is in some parts of Canada you have bilingual signs. In Canadian English, referring to someone as "handicapped" is largely verboten now. You have to say "persons with disabilities". But in French (less PC) it's still OK to use "handicapés".

And so you might have a sign that says: "Bureau of Persons with Disabilities / Office des personnes handicapées".
I think the most extreme term of politically correctness in this case is "physically challenged"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World