U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-12-2014, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Buena Park, Orange County, California
1,424 posts, read 2,295,981 times
Reputation: 1529

Advertisements

Hypothetical: if you managed to have what is a relative small (for Western standards) income of $1000 per month for a year, would you use it to travel through Latin America (South America, especially) or Asia (Southeast and South Asia - East Asia is more prohibitive)? In which one would you better be able to maintain a better COL for cheaper? Which one would it be easier to rent a place for a month or two? Which one would you prefer if you were completing an online program, and needed access to the internet on a frequent basis while traveling?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-12-2014, 12:26 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, QC, Canada
3,399 posts, read 5,156,296 times
Reputation: 4425
Asia hands down. The Southeast is cheaper than anything in Latin America, generally. It's also going to be a lot cleaner (save South Asia). In general it's a far more beaten path for foreigners if you're trying to live a similar lifestyle and do correspondence work/school.

I mean, if you compare Bolivia to say, Hong Kong, than the COL factor is obviously going to be skewed in favour of Bolivia, but I don't know if you want to stay in Bolivia if you have courses to do and want to feel more in control of things.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2014, 12:27 PM
 
1,008 posts, read 1,388,577 times
Reputation: 918
No way. I'd pocket it and use the money to improve
my home life. Besides with things like the Internet,
there's little reason to visit another country unless
your in love with a specific place and just always
wanted to pay a visit to that area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2014, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, QC, Canada
3,399 posts, read 5,156,296 times
Reputation: 4425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
No way. I'd pocket it and use the money to improve
my home life. Besides with things like the Internet,
there's little reason to visit another country unless
your in love with a specific place and just always
wanted to pay a visit to that area.
Please re-read. The premise is that you have $1000/month, not an extra 1000 each month on top of whatever else to save. This would be your total monthly income, and it's hard to save much of that after monthly expenses in the West.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2014, 12:36 PM
 
1,008 posts, read 1,388,577 times
Reputation: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Please re-read. The premise is that you have $1000/month, not an extra 1000 each month on top of whatever else to save. This would be your total monthly income, and it's hard to save much of that after monthly expenses in the West.
Oh. Ok.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2014, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
11,260 posts, read 15,335,975 times
Reputation: 13514
I wouldn't do either.


Where is this money coming from any way? If I had courses to do, I'd stay home renting a small apartment, eat romin noodles, and put my nose to the grind stone instead of being some nomad. Then, and only when I'm in a position to do so, will I go out and travel to these places.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2014, 03:05 PM
 
Location: In the heights
33,996 posts, read 33,190,437 times
Reputation: 18539
This would make more sense if the timeline was longer than a month or two since the cost of plane tickets themselves can eat up over 1K.

That being said, I'd probably say some major city in Thailand given your premises because the costs of living compared to the quality of life can be pretty great there, there's already amenities catered towards foreigners so finding a place to live isn't too difficult (and there's a large expat community online that can help you in your search) and the internet speeds and reliability in the big cities is pretty decent.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2014, 03:16 PM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,536 posts, read 14,733,449 times
Reputation: 5121
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
This would make more sense if the timeline was longer than a month or two since the cost of plane tickets themselves can eat up over 1K.

That being said, I'd probably say some major city in Thailand given your premises because the costs of living compared to the quality of life can be pretty great there, there's already amenities catered towards foreigners so finding a place to live isn't too difficult (and there's a large expat community online that can help you in your search) and the internet speeds and reliability in the big cities is pretty decent.
$1000 per month is not enough for a Westener in Bangkok.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2014, 03:19 PM
 
17,381 posts, read 8,821,790 times
Reputation: 16468
I wouldn't be able to travel if I only made $1000/month so I would be going to neither.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2014, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Buena Park, Orange County, California
1,424 posts, read 2,295,981 times
Reputation: 1529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Asia hands down. The Southeast is cheaper than anything in Latin America, generally. It's also going to be a lot cleaner (save South Asia). In general it's a far more beaten path for foreigners if you're trying to live a similar lifestyle and do correspondence work/school.

I mean, if you compare Bolivia to say, Hong Kong, than the COL factor is obviously going to be skewed in favour of Bolivia, but I don't know if you want to stay in Bolivia if you have courses to do and want to feel more in control of things.
Is southeast Asia really that much cleaner than South America? I've yet to go to either...I know cities in Brazil tend to be surrounded by favelas/slums, but is that the norm in all of the Americas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
This would make more sense if the timeline was longer than a month or two since the cost of plane tickets themselves can eat up over 1K.

That being said, I'd probably say some major city in Thailand given your premises because the costs of living compared to the quality of life can be pretty great there, there's already amenities catered towards foreigners so finding a place to live isn't too difficult (and there's a large expat community online that can help you in your search) and the internet speeds and reliability in the big cities is pretty decent.
Sorry, the timeline would be a year. I figured if someone were travelling between countries though, it would have to be at least a month or two stay at a country to consider renting at a place. Or would someone be better off just staying long term in hostels since they tend to already be connected/wired to the internet?

How would you say Taiwan compares to Thailand? I had friends who went to Taiwan, and they said everything there was SUPER cheap and way affordable, especially compared to Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
$1000 per month is not enough for a Westener in Bangkok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I wouldn't be able to travel if I only made $1000/month so I would be going to neither.
Why? Do you two currently live lives of luxury and would expect such lifestyles while abroad? Right now my current income is only around $20,000 a year, and I live in Orange County, CA...and I still managed to save money to travel to Japan, Canada, Mexico and throughout the U.S. I wonder if this mentality is why lots of people don't travel in the first place?

The most expensive part of living in OC/SoCal is the rent, combined with the cost of transportation (since it involves owning a vehicle, gas + maintenance). I would assume that both of these would be a fraction of what it is here in Thailand/Bangkok, and that day to day expenses are also cheaper, especially food?

In terms of South America, cities in Brazil would probably be too expensive for $1000 a month budget, but how about Colombia or Peru or Panama?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top