Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 09:26 AM

872 posts, read 1,388,418 times

Advertisements

One in four Americans want their state to secede from the U.S., but why? | Reuters - Jim Gaines

Of note:

Quote:
Followup phone calls with a small, random sample of pro-secession respondents to the Reuters poll, however, suggest that while their wish to leave the union may not be quite what it appears, it is not amusing at all.

Those we spoke to seemed to have answered as they did as a form of protest that was neither red nor blue but a polychromatic riot — against a recovery that has yet to produce jobs, against jobs that don’t pay, against mistreatment of veterans, against war, against deficits, against hyper-partisanship, against political corruption, against illegal immigration, against the assault on marriage, against the assault on same-sex marriage, against government in the bedroom, against government in general — the president, Congress, the courts and both political parties.

By the evidence of the poll data as well as these anecdotal conversations, the sense of aggrievement is comprehensive, bipartisan, somewhat incoherent, but deeply felt.

This should be more than disconcerting; it’s a situation that could get dangerous. As the Princeton political scientist Mark Beissinger has shown, separatist movements can take hold around contempt for incumbents and the status quo even when protesters have no ideology in common.

The United States hardly seems to be on the verge of fracture, and the small secession movements in a handful of American states today represent a tiny percentage of those polled by Reuters. But any country where 60 million people declare themselves to be sincerely aggrieved — especially one that is fractious by nature — is a country inviting either the sophistry of a demagogue or a serious movement for reform.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 09:42 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,459,437 times
I didn't realize it was so high in the Southwest region or any region for that matter. I didn't think any place would be higher than about 25%. I guess the national average is around 22% which is the highest level since the civil war.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:48 AM

872 posts, read 1,388,418 times
Current events may also have had an influence, given that the survey was taken during the discourse for Scottish secession.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:04 AM

150 posts, read 174,143 times
Here in the United States it seems to be Vermont and Texas where secession is talked about but still in the extreme minority.
This will change in the coming years as American political and economic dysfunction reaches extreme levels.

People have said Alaska and Hawaii, but I would have to disagree. I have virtually never heard secessionist whispers from those states, despite their distance from the mainland.

The wildcards seem to be the Pacific Northwest and the Southeast. You just never know when those old confederates are going to come out of their caves.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:31 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,487,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomman View Post
People have said Alaska and Hawaii, but I would have to disagree. I have virtually never heard secessionist whispers from those states, despite their distance from the mainland.
There is an Alaskan Independence Party that, in the past, achieved a modest level of electoral success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World