Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 10:09 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
How so? It looks unique with the mountains, weather, more trees, less farmland but it sure still feels like you are in North America culturally... (architecture, set up of the cities, stores, sports, holidays, politics, pop culture, etc...)
You know full well I wasn't talking about the continent. Come on, this is why I do little more than mock you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Personally I think the US is next after Scotland. Everyone region in this country hates the other regions. Zero national unity. A recipe for failure and disaster.
I wouldn't say we all hate each other but many of us do recognize that we would be better off than we are in the status quo. Maybe not outright secession, perhaps more regional autonomy may do the trick although this is easier said than done as the states already have a lot of autonomy as it is. I also wouldn't say the US is next. Not when we have Belgium and Spain making noises about secession. let's wait and see what Flanders and Andalusia do.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
Support for Kwebec separating is not as high as it was in the past. Same goes for western separation, which was quite a going concern until the Conservatives formed the government.

We sometimes even hear talk about dividing provinces in half. For example, where in BC, the north east (the BC oil patch) threatens to join Alberta every once in a while as they are seen as sending all their money down south, and seeing little in return.
Oh don't even get me started on that one. There have been 28 attempts to divide California. The latest one to split it into six states just died.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:17 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SthrnCarolinaGrl View Post
Ummmmm, in case you didn't notice, I'm not a republican. So why you are going off on me about republicans???

Well then you are a very rare breed in the US South, unless you are African American.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SthrnCarolinaGrl View Post
Most Southerners are very patriotic. In fact, a lot of our military has a lot of Southerners in it. A lot of Southerner's love America. That is not the problem. The problem is what our country is becoming. To think it's just a small fringe of southerners that are somehow dis-enchanted couldn't be further from the truth.

In fact, I'm heard from more and more people that these concerns are growing all over the country now.

People are talking about the dollar collapsing. Whether it does or doesn't, the fact that it is even being debated is a huge problem! Our gov't is spending more money than it even takes in. We are BORROWING money to keep going. We are getting further and further in debt!

This is NOT SUSTAINABLE! We WILL crash if this continues. Noone in DC is doing ANYTHING about it! Nothing.

We keep printing money like there is no problem with that, as the dollars worth drops, and then they turn right around and come up with something new to spend more money on. Again, they are doing nothing to stop this. They are the ones doing it.

Our infrastructure is crap! Yet they do nothing about it and pour more and more money into everywhere around the world.

How many bases do we have now in other countries? I've honestly lost count! 180 or so? For what? Look at the money we are pouring into to that alone! The cost of leasing those bases, apts, hiring local workers, cost of troops, etc... , that cost has to be astronomical!

How about bringing them back here and putting them on our own borders to keep us safe?

Pay all that money to border cities all over the border to make and lease bases and give Americans the jobs needed for them. Let that money be spent in OUR ecomony, as well as the soldiers pay. Yet again, they don't do that.

They leave our border wide open. Our country cannot sustain the mass imigration we are getting! It's just a fact. That is not even counting the criminals coming in. Again, our gov't does nothing.

Yeah make sure you frisk little granny at the airport, but ignore the entire border that we know criminals are using to come in.

Our own gov't is spying on us and listening to our phone calls, reading text messages, has Google and other companys storing everything on us.

These are just a few things off the top of my head. Our gov't is doing nothing about any of it. In fact, the gov't is the one doing it.

There are a lot of people now finally waking up and seeing that none of this is sustainable. We've had a few states talk about starting their own gold standard currency. Our country is in a mess and our own gov't keeps making things worse, much less trying to fix anything. Look at all their stupid laws and regulations that have cost us so many jobs!

Look at the growth hormones and stuff they are putting in our foods. Our food is killing us! This list goes on and on, and this is before even talking about social issues of the American people.

This isn't about being patriotic. This isn't about loving our country. And if you think it is just some small fringe group worried about all of this, then you are sadly mistaken. People are honestly looking at the situation and seeing the reality of the mess we are in, and a govt that refuses to do anything to stop it and is the actual cause of most of it, and continuing to make things worse.

You can laugh about it and scoff all you want, but nothing changes the situation we're in in this country. The reality is there for anyone to see.

I love my country, always have always will, but I'm not blind and neither are a lot of other people.
Here's where Southerners and Northwesters agree. Culturally, the two are worlds apart. Couldn't be more different. However each has reasons for seeing a future that's different than the current status. Both agree that the country is broken and not really working. People will always scoff and roll their eyes until something majors happens then they will ask how they didn't see it coming.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:26 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Here's where Southerners and Northwesters agree. Culturally, the two are worlds apart. Couldn't be more different. However each has reasons for seeing a future that's different than the current status. Both agree that the country is broken and not really working. People will always scoff and roll their eyes until something majors happens then they will ask how they didn't see it coming.

I had a chuckle while watching the opening of the NFL Monday night game tonight. The big giant flag on the field with the national anthem. Stupid over the top meaningless patriotism while the country is falling apart in every way imaginable. People in PA could give a rats ass about Indiana and vice versa. The whole country is a failure. Zero unity, and maybe there never was any at any time anyway. Why are we all forced into this Union with all these 50 different little squabbling republics? Looks so stupid now.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
There are noticeable active separatist independence movements in plenty of countries all over Planet Earth. Some separatist movements are more prominent, and get more widespread support than other separatist affiliations that are more subtle, and barely affect a country. Those most extreme separatist occurrences have potential to severely affect a nation, and usually don’t have enough rational premise in main intentions to happen, causing some quite eccentric actions to occur there.

Where I live right now currently in USA, I notice there is a rather subtle Cascadia independence movement with Oregon, Washington state, and together with British Columbia of Canada. I believe it is possible for Cascadia to get successful, even if subtle right now. There is also noticeable, not too extreme separatist thinking in California, Vermont, Hawaii, Alaska, and Texas. Most people don’t seem to know about quite an active 51st state proposal in Southern Oregon+ Northern California called Jefferson. I can’t believe nobody mentioned Puerto Rico’s peculiar, arbitrary attachment to USA, and technically not a 100% separate country yet. There is definitely a strong separatist independence movement occurring there with Puerto Rico.
I'm glad you chimed in here because you do live in the PNW. Cascadia, while not extreme is perhaps the most prominent and is surprisingly consistent. The separatist movement in California for now is not much to talk about. Most Californians feel very American and the state may have a radically different culture than most of the rest of the country but that distinct disconnect isn't really there. California often has contempt for the Federal Government but in Washington State (and I presume Oregon, haven't yet lived there) there is often outright disregard for the Federal Government.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I had a chuckle while watching the opening of the NFL Monday night game tonight. The big giant flag on the field with the national anthem. Stupid over the top meaningless patriotism while the country is falling apart in every way imaginable. People in PA could give a rats ass about Indiana and vice versa. The whole country is a failure. Zero unity, and maybe there never was any at any time anyway. Why are we all forced into this Union with all these 50 different little squabbling republics? Looks so stupid now.
We were united the most during the cold war when we had a major external threat. Today, our internal differences are obvious to those who aren't putting the fingers in their ears and going "la-la-la-la-la".

Old 09-16-2014, 02:18 AM

595 posts, read 719,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Not when we have Belgium and Spain making noises about secession. let's wait and see what Flanders and Andalusia do.
I guess you mean Catalonia.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victus View Post
I guess you mean Catalonia.
Yeah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World