Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 02:37 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,649,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
It would make sense if they were started out in America but moved to Canada where it flourished.

But that didn't happened, Disney and Apple were founded in America and flourished in America.

Baseball's earliest roots were founded in England. moved to America where it flourished and is one of the most popular sports in the country and plays a huge roll in American culture, everyone wears baseball caps these days, the best films about baseball were made in Hollywood (Sandlot, Major League, Field of Dreams) there is only one MLB team outside the United States. it even goes down to the little things like our speech, people use baseball metaphors for sex .

Looking at Google Earth you see a baseball stadium in almost every American city and i'm pretty sure not many people in the UK know who Mike Trout, David Ortiz, Dustin Pedoria, Albert Pujols, Alex Rodrigez and Derek Jeter are.
Where something flourished does play a part, but not totally. It's the claiming of something popular as your own when it's not that I'm talking about.
It wouldn't be correct for Canadians to say " as Canadian as Apple computers " regardless of where it flourished. IF Apple only flourished after success in Canada ( I realize we are in the Twilight Zone here ) and Canadians still said the phrase, it still would be incorrect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 02:39 PM

2,341 posts, read 2,950,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Drro. What things have The Netherlands claimed as their own, when it wasn't?
Afaik, nothing. Unlike the US, we don't claim we invented things we didn't invent and we don't feel the need to claim we are exceptional when we aren't. The Germans and British did most of the important scientific and engineering discoveries.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:46 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,560,199 times
But Apple computers and Disney are still huge in America.

If Tim Hortons started as a small local shop somewhere in the U.S but moved North and became what it was today i'm sure it will still have that "Canadianess" to it.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:49 PM

26,899 posts, read 38,201,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Most important things like the air plane, the car, the train, the rocket, antibiotics, the steam engine, the petrol engine, the jet engine, the computer, the cell phone, the world wide web, and gravity were invented in Europe. Americans belief they invented most of these things because they were raised with the propaganda of 'American exceptionalism' but in reality there are not really good at anything.
Americans were or are good at a lot of things even though they aren't the best at everything. No one is.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Afaik, nothing. Unlike the US, we don't claim we invented things we didn't invent and we don't feel the need to claim we are exceptional when we aren't. The Germans and British did most of the important scientific and engineering discoveries.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
But Apple computers and Disney are still huge in America.

If Tim Hortons started as a small local shop somewhere in the U.S but moved North and became what it was today i'm sure it will still have that "Canadianess" to it.
Tim Horton's. Ugh. Double Double ugh. Hate the place, hate the food, hate everything about it. There is nothing uniquely Canadian about it. Coffee? Doughnuts? Panini's? Chili?

Old 09-22-2014, 02:58 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,858,960 times
Canada did not invent ice hockey.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Canada did not invent ice hockey.
True. I go with this

Hockey Origins References

which at least admits that the first recorded INDOOR ice hockey game took place in Canada.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:10 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,560,199 times
I will still always view the sport as a Canadian/Russian sport.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:37 PM

165 posts, read 190,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Alexander Graham Bell, was a British subject who got US citizenship while remaining a British subject. There was no Canadian citizenship in those days since Canadians were also British subjects. The fact that he did as much if not more of his work in Canada, as the US does give Canada the right to claim him as well, especially as you mentioned that he lived and chose to be buried in Canada. I am NOT taking away the fact that he was an American, nor a Scot, but asserting the right to say he was as Canadian as he could of been for a man of his time. Would he have taken out Canadian citizenship if it existed? We will never know.
I should really know more Canadian history than I do, considering our countries are neighbors. I fall very short in that dept. As for Canadian citizenship, I was basing it off a biography of Alexander Graham Bell that I read where it quoted him as saying that though he couldn't claim to be a Canadian, his heart held a warm spot for them. I assumed that he was talking about citizenship, when he must have been referring to more general terms of being a Canadian, if the term Canadian was being used then. ??

The biggest thing for me was the fact of how openly proud he was over his American citizenship; so much so, that he requested that when he died that it be put on his grave that he died a citizen of the USA. Teacher, inventor, and Citizen of the USA was how he wanted to be remembered.

I think he very much loved where he stayed in Canada, especially choosing to live there for a good bit of the year every year. I've seen pics of where he stayed there and it is absolutely beautiful!! I had never heard that Canada considers him to be Canadian until*fairly recently. I was probably out of the country if this was debated by our countries and they decided to share him. Lol I've lived outside of my country a good bit.

Works for me though.

On hockey, I view it a little differently. Canadians might not have invented it, but it's one of the first things that come to mind when I think of Canada. Kind of like hotdogs and apple pie in America, I will always think of hockey as Canadian, though I'm a Bruins fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World