Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 10:14 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
About 320 million people believe Ford invented the automobile. They are wrong but I don't blame them because it's what their history books say. The Germans(Benz) invented the automobile indeed.

The WWW is what made the internet what it is today, Tim Berners-Lee deserves credit for that. He is a Brit working in Switzerland at the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Umm, you know this HOW??? You must have had a lot of time on your hands talking to that many people.

And its not what is written in American history books.

Henry Ford did not invent the automobile, he is known for looking for ways to bring the costs down so that middle class people could afford to buy a automobile. And he believed that his workers should be paid enough to buy the cars they make.
Quote:
So, you're telling me American history books are completely honest and correctly state the Germans invented the automobile and did most other significant scientific and engineering discoveries together with the British? Then where does the notion of 'American exceptionalism' and the 'America is the best' propaganda originate from if everything significant has been discovered abroad?
That's not what I am asking. How do you what 320 million people are thinking? And what they learned in school?

I am one of those people and you certainly do not speak for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 01:06 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,929,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
From uneducated people, to a degree.

Don't know if any textbooks are online, probably, but a quick Google shows all the sites clearly saying Ford invented the first MOVING assembly line, not the car.

Whether the delve into who actually invented the car is a good question. Sometime omitting something, is as bad as claiming something.
I've heard educated Americans make claims like that too. In their defense, those were people from the Southern states.

According to wikipedia, admittedly not a very good source, the assembly line has been invented in Britain: 'Probably the earliest industrial example of a linear and continuous assembly process is the Portsmouth Block Mills'. The general consensus is that Benz, a German, invented the automobile.

Last edited by drro; 09-26-2014 at 02:06 AM..

Old 09-26-2014, 02:15 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,412,091 times
Air balloons. I always thought it was a western thing.. but air balloons were invented in China, and was traditionally a way for people to communicate with one another from long-distance attached with a letter.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:11 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,341,443 times
I was pretty sure that Milka chocolate was from Austria. Probably because of the heavy advertising in winter sports. No really an invention, but yeah...
Thought that Fanta is an American soft drink, but apparently it's from Germany.

Other than that, most of our inventions are kinda disputed because of the collapse of the empire. Let's take Nikola Tesla as an example: Son of Serbian Orthodox parents, born in the Kingdom of Croatia-Slavonia/Croatian Military Frontier, which used to be part of Austria-Hungary, or more specifically, the Hungarian Kingdom. Also, he emigrated and became a US citizen. Same thing with Gregor Mendel, Ignaz Semmelweis, Ferdinand Porsche, Josef Ressel, ...

Old 09-26-2014, 03:31 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
I've heard educated Americans make claims like that too. In their defense, those were people from the Southern states.

According to wikipedia, admittedly not a very good source, the assembly line has been invented in Britain: 'Probably the earliest industrial example of a linear and continuous assembly process is the Portsmouth Block Mills'. The general consensus is that Benz, a German, invented the automobile.
There is educated, then there is educated. Holding a degree and having a profession, doesn't always mean the person is educated about the world.

By educated, I didn't mean formally educated, but a person who is intelligent enough to question things that are told them.

I have many American friends and none of them are like the ones you are describing. I have met some like the ones you describe, but for some reason, they never become friends

As for the assembly line, a distinction was made between a moving assembly line and a static one. The link you fave says about Ford "perfected the assembly line by installing driven conveyor belts that could produce a Model T in ninety-three minutes.[9]"

So Ford using conveyor belts, seems to have created a certain model of a moving assembly line, that is still I believe, used today. A debatable point I suppose.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:54 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,929,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
There is educated, then there is educated. Holding a degree and having a profession, doesn't always mean the person is educated about the world.
That's what I meant when I said 'In their defense, those were people from the Southern states'.

Now we now about all the things Americans didn't invent but thought they invented, I wonder if there are any significant things they actually did invent. (Other than doubtful things like the microwave, which just made eating unhealthy food easier).

Old 09-26-2014, 04:57 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
That's what I meant when I said 'In their defense, those were people from the Southern states'.

Now we now about all the things Americans didn't invent but thought they invented, I wonder if there are any significant things they actually did invent. (Other than doubtful things like the microwave, which just made eating unhealthy food easier).
I know you mostly talk about the United States but i thought it would be cool to talk about British inventions.

Old 09-26-2014, 05:05 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,204,523 times
Lucky charms

Old 09-26-2014, 08:26 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:

Would you consider the transistor significant?

Also, I wonder who invented passive-aggressive culture bashing. Based on your expertise, I would suggest the Dutch. But as we know from your commentary, those who master something are not necessarily the inventors.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:36 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
It used to common when I was a kid, to hear that the first airplane flight, was in New Zealand by Richard Pearse, a few months before the Wright Brothers.

It seems that he did achieve some degree of powered flight, but not the important distinction of controlled powered flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World