Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 04:09 AM

9,309 posts, read 14,209,477 times

Advertisements

You people realize that this thread was opened in 2007?

Since then, some six years later, the major difference is the development of fracking, a new technology to extract oil & gas from certain rock formations, featuring water pressure and horizontal drilling.

It is in full boom in the US and Canada, somewhat alleviating the energy constraint that has held growth in the US in the 0%-2% range since the 2008-2009 recession, now it is spreading to Russia, and maybe some other places.

As a result, also in combination with subdued consumption in the countries of early industrialization, commodity prices have remained low, contrary to expectations in 2007-2008.

Investment in alternative energy technologies and applications continues, but the appetite for subsidizing them is fading.

We may be heading into a benign scenario of balance between energy from relatively cheap fossil fuels and energy from renewable resources, also achieving some balance between sustaining the economy and growth, on the one hand, and stabilizing the environment, on the other.

Also, if energy and commodity prices remain stable, it may also alleviate some pressures that would lead to war.

But it's all still a bit precarious, we'll see. A war involving Iran and/or North Korea could be disastrous.

Europe is still in a strait-jacket and I see no impetus to break out of it.

I hope Latin America continues to develop a middle class, strengthening its economic and democratic institutions, and that fewer people feel a need to emigrate out of desperation or promise of a better life. They can do it there, right at home, but I'm not holding my breath either.

The so-called Islamic world is still struggling to stake out an identity in the era of industrialization, still a source of instability.

The Asians can speak for themselves.

Don't know much about sub-Saharan Africa, maybe someone can shed some light.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 04-28-2013 at 04:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 07:14 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,755,204 times
Believe it or not the population of the Internet has *doubled* since 2007! We think of the Internet revolution as something that already happened 10-20 years ago, but the reality is that fewer than half the world's population are users. It's very much still going on in most of the world.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:01 PM

12 posts, read 13,033 times
Give Obama a few more years and we'll all be living in the Stone Age with Fred and Wilma. Yabba Dabba Doo!

Old 04-30-2013, 07:15 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,755,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapePlan View Post
Give Obama a few more years and we'll all be living in the Stone Age with Fred and Wilma. Yabba Dabba Doo!
This isn't the Politics and Other Controversies board.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
This isn't the Politics and Other Controversies board.
No crap buddy. The OP asked what the world will look like in a few years. I reckon that the President of the United States has considerable influence over this, no?

Old 04-30-2013, 07:29 PM

4,866 posts, read 10,481,867 times
Quote:
No crap buddy. The OP asked what the world will look like in a few years. I reckon that the President of the United States has considerable influence over this, no?
Eh, not really, this is the world forum. What Obama decides to do has very little impact on my local reality.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Eh, not really, this is the world forum. What Obama decides to do has very little impact on my local reality.
Consider yourself lucky then.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:42 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,405,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
We may have Obama drones flying over your country as we speak, but you didnt hear that from me.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:08 PM

4,866 posts, read 10,481,867 times
Quote:
Consider yourself lucky then.
This isn't Politics and Other Controversies, but suffice it to say I've an abundance of frustrating politicians of my own to worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
We may have Obama drones flying over your country as we speak, but you didnt hear that from me.
It isn't Obama's job to look out for my interests. I'd blame my own government for that if they've allowed them in without getting a good deal on privacy for regular people like me and if it isn't significantly bolstering joint security. But I'm not opposed to joint cooperation with the US in order to achieve mutual security goals, as long as our sovereignty isn't unduly infringed upon. It's a give and take, one must be reasonable, and I can see some unarmed US surveillance drones being allowed into our airspace as acceptable under certain conditions and for certain purposes.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:39 PM

8,161 posts, read 8,699,086 times
EscapePlan, if you want to discuss Obama's policies, please do so on the P&OC forum. Further OT posts will be deleted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World