U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 06:20 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,143,332 times

Advertisements

Your forecast is welcome. Your local politics, environment, economy, culture, religion, entertainment... Your world's politics, environment, economy, culture, entertainment... Your universes'...

Let's hear it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 01:21 AM

8,478 posts, read 12,382,306 times
In the US, energy prices will continue to climb, as will inflation in general, while the ruling class will continue to egg on the population to spend irresponsibly, build more gas-guzzling cars (despite the lame mandatory increase in minimum mileage), more energy-guzzling overpriced housing, more roads, ever longer commutes, and, in general, fail to plan the use of space and transport technology in accordance with changing world conditions.

In short, the US middle class - the Europeans too - will continue its relative decline, while the populations of countries like the so-called BRIC group will continue their relative ascent, and we will all continue to meet each other somewhere at a mediocre middle, a level noticeably below the living standards of the "golden age" middle class of the US and Europe of the post WWII era.

The first part is lamentable, the second part not necessarily so - perhaps even laudable -, but if the first part were managed better, the second part would be at a better level for everybody. But we have energy wars instead.

Last edited by bale002; 12-28-2007 at 01:45 AM..

Old 12-28-2007, 03:12 PM

thanks for the reply. interesting points. do you see the "middle classes" doing anything about it? what do you think might effect a different course from what you describe (while i'm assuming you would like to see a different course)?

Old 12-28-2007, 03:26 PM

5,080 posts, read 8,852,063 times
Don't worry.. come Dec 22 2012 it wont matter. =)

Old 12-28-2007, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
a-ha. want to expand on that? (you're referring to quetzelcoatl, i'd guess)

Old 12-29-2007, 02:02 PM

8,478 posts, read 12,382,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello-world View Post
do you see the "middle classes" doing anything about it?
Most likely keep watching television.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello-world View Post
what do you think might affect a different course from what you describe (while i'm assuming you would like to see a different course)?
Yes. In my view, it would take a series of grassroots movement at local government levels with the aim of putting discipline into local government spending, making any and every spending increase subject to mandatory referendum with full transparency and disclosure on which private companies stand to gain and their relationships with local government officials.

I won't hold my breath though.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:17 PM

762 posts, read 1,532,100 times
Quote:

What does that mean??

Old 12-29-2007, 03:17 PM

thanks for the responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Most likely keep watching television.

i agree this country is way too media addicted. and oil addicted.... gluttonous...

Yes. In my view, it would take a series of grassroots movement at local government levels with the aim of putting discipline into local government spending, making any and every spending increase subject to mandatory referendum with full transparency and disclosure on which private companies stand to gain and their relationships with local government officials.

so how do people get that (the grassroots causes, the change you hope for) out there? what do YOU do to get it out there? what needs fixing, why does it need fixing, and how do you propose we fix it?

I won't hold my breath though.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:35 PM

5,080 posts, read 8,852,063 times
I was being silly.. there is a theory that the world will come to an end on Dec. 22 2012. According to the Mayan calender .

Quote:
Well, you are starting off with flawed data.
#1. The Mayan calendar doesn't end. It's time. Time doesn't end.
#2 The so-called calendar "end date" everyone's talking about is December **21** not 22 or 23. Those using those dates are using the wrong correlation.
So to answer your question as asked, NOTHING IS HAPPENING ON DECEMBER 22, 2012, because it's all happening on December 21, 2012.

This is what's happening on 12-21-2012: The Mayan Long Count calendar is rolling over from 12 Baktuns to 13 Baktuns (similar to our calendar going from 1999 to 2000 except a Baktun is 400 years long). Also on that morning, which is the winter solstice, there will be an astronomical alignment between the sun and the dark spot on the Milky Way at dawn.

The Maya believed that the dark area of the Milky Way was the birth canal of the universe, so when the sun came up through that dark area, it was being reborn (so you had that part of it correct). But our old world wasn't going to die at that moment. It's already dead and has been for years.

Read "Maya Cosmogenesis 2012" by John Major Jenkins for a lot more on this subject. Read my 2012 article on my Jaguar Nights blog for other information on that day.

And no, don't run up your credit cards, because it's not going to be like that.

* 1 year ago
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...=1006050932841

Old 12-29-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
I was being silly.. there is a theory that the world will come to an end on Dec. 22 2012. According to the Mayan calender .

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...=1006050932841
i know. hence the "quetzelcoatl" comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World