Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 03:47 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
I just found this. The Northeast is usually the most prestigious part of the nation due to the capital being located there.

Examples of countries with capitals in the northeast:

United States (Washington)
China (Beijing)
Argentina (Buenos Aires)
Ireland (Dublin)
Germany (Berlin)
South Africa (Pretoria)

Can you give me more countries that have their capitals in the northeast?
The Northeastern US is not the most prestigious region because DC is there or even near there.

Also, when Washington became the capital, the US looked vastly different than it does today. Of the then states (I'm not talking about sparely populated territories), it was more in the middle:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...04-1790-05.png
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 05:50 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,461,212 times
I went through 160 countries whose capitals I could easily remember the location of (which leaves out a lot of dinky island countries), and came up with this breakdown:

Central 44
North 23
Northeast 6
East 19
Southeast 12
South 20
Southwest 4
West 29
Northwest 3

Old 10-22-2014, 10:56 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,212,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
True but Mid-Atlantic is a more recent ambiguous term. Having said that, if it were to be just northeast and southeast, I don't think DC would qualify as northeast under those criteria either.
By now, DC will most likely be classified as Mid-Atlantic. Honestly, DC shares more in common with Philly, Baltimore, and Richmond than it does with New York, Boston, Savannah, and Birmingham in my opinion.

Last edited by tcave360; 10-22-2014 at 11:18 PM..

Old 10-22-2014, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
You can consider yourself whatever you want but you were in fact born and raised in the South.
Uh no. Most people in DC consider themselves East Coast or Mid-Atlantic over Southern. Washingtonians have Southern influences but it's not prevalent enough to warrant them as such. Me being from Maryland just across the DC line, I never once considered myself Southern. The accent and lingo is distinctly unique from both regions. And don't even think about bringing up the over-used Mason-Dixon Line garbage because it wasn't established to draw the dividing line between North and South but it's true purpose was to help settle a land dispute between Pennsylvania, Maryland, and IIRC Delaware. Fact of the matter is, around here, your not really in The South until you travel 30 miles south of Fredericksburg, VA.

Welcome to the Crossroads

Old 10-22-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
I think invincible was just trying to stir the pot. No logical person considers DC the south LOL very droll. If there are four areas it would be northeast but otherwise, most call that area "mid-Atlantic".
New England (Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and most of Connecticut) , Interior Northeast (western/central upstate New York and western/central Pennsylvania), New York Tri-State (New York City, Southwest CT, North Jersey, and Long Island), and the Mid-Atlantic (Philadelphia, South Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, DC, Northern Virginia, and arguably West Virginia, at least the WV panhandle).

I believe that's how the four parts of the Northeast are divided into.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
The Northeastern US is not the most prestigious region because DC is there or even near there.

Also, when Washington became the capital, the US looked vastly different than it does today. Of the then states (I'm not talking about sparely populated territories), it was more in the middle:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...04-1790-05.png
The DC area does play a very strong role in the Northeast's prestigious-ness, or at least Northeast Corridor/East Coast section of the region, along with the NYC area, Boston area, Baltimore area, and Philly area.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:59 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
By now, DC will most likely be classified as Mid-Atlantic. Honestly, DC shares more in common with Philly, Baltimore, and Richmond than it does with New York, Boston, Savannah, and Birmingham in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
New England (Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and most of Connecticut) , Interior Northeast (western/central upstate New York and western/central Pennsylvania), New York Tri-State (New York City, Southwest CT, North Jersey, and Long Island), and the Mid-Atlantic (Philadelphia, South Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, DC, Northern Virginia, and arguably West Virginia, at least the WV panhandle).

I believe that's how the four parts of the Northeast are divided into.
How is what you're saying and what I'm saying different other than your versions being longer?

Old 10-23-2014, 11:59 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
I think nyc should be the capital
NYC isn't even the capital of New York State.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:02 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
I think invincible was just trying to stir the pot. No logical person considers DC the south LOL very droll. If there are four areas it would be northeast but otherwise, most call that area "mid-Atlantic".
There have been numerous forumers on the General US forum that have argued otherwise, or at least not northeast. It's been tradiationally considered the south, its location was chosen so to place the capital in the south, and has numerous charecteristics that don't fit in with other northeastern cities. In general, it seems blacks find it more southern than whites do. Realisitcally, it's a transition zone between north and south.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:27 PM

2,652 posts, read 3,409,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
There have been numerous forumers on the General US forum that have argued otherwise, or at least not northeast. It's been tradiationally considered the south, its location was chosen so to place the capital in the south, and has numerous charecteristics that don't fit in with other northeastern cities. In general, it seems blacks find it more southern than whites do. Realisitcally, it's a transition zone between north and south.
This is the wise answer, I've learned in history class that they compromised to built the capital in the South. But if you have to choose only between Northeast and South, it's obviously the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World