Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 10:29 AM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

Gifts: if the recipient is a French Canadian, many people will buy a bottle of wine as a gift even if they don't know that person drinks or not. People do not give hard liquor as gifts here (stuff like gin, vodka, whisky), but they might sometimes give specialized stronger alcohols like maple liquor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 10:36 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
No wonder you have no friends, with an attitude like that. My post was civil, and you respond with this. Not very good, is it?
They could use a drink LOL

Old 10-14-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Why bother engaging in a discussion if you only want to talk to people you always agree with?

No they're not. They can drink, smoke, join the army, vote, live independently, get married, win the lottery. A little more freedom than a 10 year old, I think.
Well in the US they can't buy alcohol and aren't supposed to drink it. They can die for their country though.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
That was another thing that struck me as quite odd. Open container laws were a novelty to me.
Same with alcohol in cars: Here it's perfectly legal for the driver to drink while he's driving as long as he doesn't hit the 0.5‰ mark. I heard in most of the US it's even forbidden to drink as a passenger.
Yep. You can't even have an open container inside the car even if neither driver or passenger is drinking it.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:46 AM

Laws and problems: In Canada drunk driving laws are federal but other alcohol laws are provincial. As sandman said the trouble you get in while driving varies from .05 to .08. At .05 you get your car impounded and licence suspended for 12 hours I think. But it's not a criminal offence. At .08 you get a criminal record and can face jail time, and lose your licence.

The legal drinking age in Quebec is 18. In practice many bars will have people as young as 14-15 in them in Quebec. Certainly there are tons of 16-17 year olds in bars that cater to a younger crowd. IDs are sometimes checked but in many bars it is very laxed. Some bars may check your ID if you are not speaking French as this likely means you're not from Quebec and in their minds, more likely to make trouble. (See below for more details.)

Liquor is sold in government stores and corner stores and supermarkets. What each place can sell differs but basically all of them sell beer and wine. Better wine is available in the government stores, and they are the only ones that sell hard liquor. Government stores have gotten very strict with ID, but the small corner stores are more lax. It's very easy to buy beer in Quebec if you look about 16.

Alcoholism is present in Quebec just like anywhere but seems to have gone down from when I was a kid. You hear about it a lot less and you don't see that many totally drunk people in the streets. Some of course, but it's not all over the place. Drunk driving is a problem and a good percentage of accidents are caused by drunk people but the numbers are way down from what they used to be. Quebec invented Opération Nez Rouge (Operation Red Nose) during the Christmas season, which has volunteers that drive people back home from parties with their cars.

As far as drunken youths go, I hate to say it but many of the problems we have are caused by cultural incompatibilities with people who live across our borders. Laws tend to be stricter (a firm 19 to drink in Ontario and a firm 21 in the US) and so a lot of kids from Ontario and New England come to Quebec to let loose.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:46 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
No doubt you smoke aswell.
Yes, I'm a smoker, but doing an effort to quit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Irish-British-Nordic style binge drinking is not as common here in Quebec it seems. Most people stop when they are happily tipsy, not falling down drunk. It's actually a bit of societal "meme" in Quebec that the people we share the continent with can't drink responsibility and hold their liquor.
I love being drunk, but definitely don't appreciate people being totally wasted. Being tipsy has maybe another meaning here, as it means less drunk. If Finland is known for anything in this world it's Mika Häkkinen, Nokia, and being severely drunk.

edit: I'm drunk now, as I'm off. HA, HA!

Old 10-14-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
. If Finland is known for anything in this world it's Mika Häkkinen, Nokia, and being severely drunk.
The entire arc of countries from Iceland-Norway-Sweden-Finland is known for heaving drinking. As are UK-Ireland.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
. Being tipsy has maybe another meaning here, as it means less drunk.
Tipsy to me is still a form of drunkenness. Though not extremely drunk. Your behaviour is altered for sure. The French word for this is "pompette". You wouldn't want to drive in that state, but if you wait half an hour or an hour, you'd probably be OK.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:54 AM

Kids, youth and alcohol in Quebec: Many parents start giving sips of alcohol (from daddy's beer or mom's wine glass) when their children are well below the age of 10. Many also will start giving one small glass of wine to their kids with a meal when they are about 13 or so.

As for drinking among teenaged friends, I'd estimate it generally begins around 15-16. High school finishes at age 16-17 here, and at those graduation parties this is definitely alcohol.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:57 AM

1,706 posts, read 2,435,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

The legal drinking age in Quebec is 18. In practice many bars will have people as young as 14-15 in them in Quebec. Certainly there are tons of 16-17 year olds in bars that cater to a younger crowd. IDs are sometimes checked but in many bars it is very laxed. Some bars may check your ID if you are not speaking French as this likely means you're not from Quebec and in their minds, more likely to make trouble. (See below for more details.)
Wow! I didn't know that. Like you said, alcohol laws are very strictly enforced in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

College towns in the US sometimes take it to a whole new level where you need two forms of ID to even enter some bars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World