Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 10:31 AM

89 posts, read 200,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
One question: one user said that "Black history" doesn't exist because "black" is a definition imposed by "whites".
Then, why is "whites" interchangeably to describe 500 million of European or even more including US/Canada etc when there are enormous differences among a Pole and a Spaniard?
What's the whole point of this thread?
All "whites" are racist/slave holders? Most certainly not.
Were Black enslaved and subjected to a mass system of deportation and racism with no peers in history? Yes.
Were "whites" too enslaved? Undeniably (WWII? Just to remind)
Were Blacks slaveholders too? Yes.
Is there still racism in the world? Yes.
These don't seem to be so debatable points.
You dont understand the point of this tread, well you should read carefully because I dont know how you can't understand! I know it's isn't the perfect thread or whatever but I wanted to talk about it.
So let me explain again !
First, I'm happy to see on this forum people know slavery was everywhere but that's not the case for most of people. Anytime slavery is associated with black.
I do know the fact that african slavery was deeper than others slaveries, it is the most recent one and people still suffer from that.
In many countries, when they see a black, they call him a slave or he is consider a slave, why ?
That's why we should not forget that everyone has been a slave. Unfortunately we tend to forget that.
Another big point, why we dont talk about Africa before slavery ? Like all Africa's history is based with slavery.
It will be very interesting for people to know that Africa has many histories before slavery happened and it was a very prosperous continent as Africa it's not a country.
So I'm not trying to divide people or anything but I think it should be more movies, documentaries about Africa before slavery to inform people.

You know one day, French's president Nicolas Sarkozy said "africans did not enter in History". So what does mean ? Africa is just about savages or animals, that's all my point !!

Finally, I think I should have said "others slaveries" rather than "white slavery" because arabs did also slavery with europeans. Many europeans have been brought to arabs countries to be slaves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 06:10 PM

89 posts, read 200,826 times
Robert Davis, a professor of history at Ohio State University said "it is useful to compare Mediterranean slavery to the Atlantic slave trade that brought black Africans to the Americas. Over the course of four centuries, the Atlantic slave trade was much larger – about 10 to 12 million black Africans were brought to the Americas. But from 1500 to 1650, when trans-Atlantic slaving was still in its infancy, more white Christian slaves were probably taken to Barbary than black African slaves to the Americas"
And he said also “One of the things that both the public and many scholars have tended to take as given is that slavery was always racial in nature – that only blacks have been slaves. But that is not true. We cannot think of slavery as something that only white people did to black people.
The enslavement of Europeans doesn’t fit the general theme of European world conquest and colonialism that is central to scholarship on the early modern era. Many of the countries that were victims of slavery, such as France and Spain, would later conquer and colonize the areas of North Africa where their citizens were once held as slaves".

He wrote about it : Christian Slaves, Muslim Masters: White Slavery in the Mediterranean, the Barbary Coast, and Italy, 1500-1800

Old 11-04-2014, 02:56 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
Hunter gatherers had slaves, Indian Americans that were hunter gatherer had slaves.
I would consider those people hostages as opposed to slaves. Slavery is an institutional, legal classification of a human being. Hunter/gatherer societies did not have legal institutions.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:26 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
First American slave in recorded American History.

The Anthony Johnson Story | Confederate Colonel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Johnson_(colonist)

And the irony is his owner was black.

Last edited by NCN; 06-28-2015 at 09:36 PM..

Old 06-29-2015, 10:04 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I just clicked on a website that existed last night and it has disappeared. This is not the first time I have discovered websites disappearing that are not in tune with our present administration.
They work for me. Maybe if you weren't such a conspiracy theorist you could have figured out your internet connection was timing out I know you're head's in a tailspin because a black man is in office still and won a second term, and now gays can marry and majority opinion is turning away from the flag of hate, but it's time to come back into the real world now.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:33 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
They work for me. Maybe if you weren't such a conspiracy theorist you could have figured out your internet connection was timing out I know you're head's in a tailspin because a black man is in office still and won a second term, and now gays can marry and majority opinion is turning away from the flag of hate, but it's time to come back into the real world now.
The only hate in that flag is the hate for our Southern ancestors which is pretty immature. History happened. But some of you neglect to admit how it happened. People all over the country bought slaves. Instead of being rational about bringing a change in that, there was a war. Do you not realize the Union officers had their slaves taking care of them when they were on the battle field.

I live in the real world but anyone who hates an object does not.

That some of you have so much guilt that you are trying to transfer that guilt to those you feel cannot fight back is a fact. Sounds like bullying to me. Our ancestors tried to defend themselves and they lost. We know that. You can spout hate toward us and the confederate flag but it bothers me not at all. It just makes me think you are awful people. I have no guilt.

Sometimes I think it is good to go back and see how things started. I think this thread is very interesting.

Last edited by NCN; 06-29-2015 at 10:59 AM..

Old 06-29-2015, 10:46 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I wouldn't even waste my time. You're too smart for this. Everything you just said is why this discussion has gone on. Just let them be. Let them talk to themselves and feel good about it. These types today basically are a dying breed and they know it so they just stroke each other. It's all they can do.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:52 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
On another note... this tells about the Scottish slavery of which IM not very proud... SCOTLAND & SLAVERY - Daily Record Dublin in Ireland its said was built on slavery also.. Ive still to read about that though..

In Ireland there was certainly chattel slavery in both the dark and middle ages. The Irish, both under the Vikings and later, had a major slave-market in Dublin: in fact the town of Dublin only exists because of the slave trade. The slaves came from slave-raiding; both Norsemen and Irish systematically raided coastal areas to acquire slaves, which were valuable property easily converted into cash in the market.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:54 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I wouldn't even waste my time. You're too smart for this. Everything you just said is why this discussion has gone on. Just let them be. Let them talk to themselves and feel good about it. These types today basically are a dying breed and they know it so they just stroke each other. It's all they can do.
That is very true, hence the outburts a plea for attention.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:00 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,429,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
First American slave in recorded American History.

The Anthony Johnson Story | Confederate Colonel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Johnson_(colonist)

And the irony is his owner was black.
And the other irony is how only black slavery led to the epic ongoing misery suffered by Afro Americans who's ancestors without migrating to America, were brutally imported to a country as workhorses, now hated and being coerced to vacate the land they helped build. And that is regardless of any self-hating black persons involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World