Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 3,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Well, I am Indian American. I'd say that the cultural differences between Indians and most African Americans are pretty significant. Most Indian Americans are highly educated and affluent for one thing.

However, there are more similarities between Indians and black people from Africa. Some of the foods are similar and I know many Africans who watch Bollywood movies and stuff like that. Ethiopians especially seem to have a considerable Indian influence, but I guess that goes for a lot of other Africans as well. Indians and Africans who immigrate to America place a high value on education, etc.
I'm Black, have two master's degrees and not poor. And even if I was poor and uneducated, does not make the distinction for the whole entire ethnicity. You are being racist for making the distinction between Indians and African-Americans as being financial and about education. Is that what distinguishes us? What the hell..there are plenty of Indian people I know that are poor and undereducated, and it doesn't make any difference on how I look at the Indian culture or people because of it. I do not look down at them because of it, because that's morally wrong.

You remind me of one of my relatives who is African-American, who married an Indian woman recently...and her family tried to disown her for marrying him...on top of that, her family was being dismissive of my family at the wedding, even though his father and sisters were all doctors. Ah, Indian folks taking time to be very racist like yourself is something more common that not, huh?

Last edited by Rozenn; 11-03-2014 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: Language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 10:45 AM

89 posts, read 200,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach234 View Post
I'm curious as to what "race" does everyone consider indians?

and why they never got the classification as "black" when they too come in the same shades as the people do in Africa
You are right a lot of african america, african, etc...lighter than some indians.
In india, they consider themselves as tanned white people.
Black isn't just about your skin color that's why we dont call indians black.

Another thing, in history being black didn't mean to have a dark skin or something but it changed with time.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:00 PM

27,548 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doncastiglionejr View Post
I'm Black, have two master's degrees and not poor. And even if I was poor and uneducated, does not make the distinction for the whole entire ethnicity. You are being racist for making the distinction between Indians and African-Americans as being financial and about education. Is that what distinguishes us? What the hell..there are plenty of Indian people I know that are poor and undereducated, and it doesn't make any difference on how I look at the Indian culture or people because of it. I do not look down at them because of it, because that's morally wrong.

You remind me of one of my relatives who is African-American, who married an Indian woman recently...and her family tried to disown her for marrying him...on top of that, her family was being dismissive of my family at the wedding, even though his father and sisters were all doctors. Ah, Indian folks taking time to be very racist like yourself is something more common that not, huh?
Well, I apologize if my statement sounded racist. I know a lot of African Americans who are much more educated and wealthier than I am. And I would not disown anyone in my family who married an African American.

Having said that, it is factually true that Indian Americans as a whole place a higher value on achieving higher educational goals compared to African Americans. It's not a fair comparison at all because the two groups come from entirely different backgrounds and historical circumstances. But it is one of the reasons why the cultures are so different in this country.

Last edited by Rozenn; 11-03-2014 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: Orphaned - Response to an edited post

Old 11-03-2014, 12:48 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Having said that, it is factually true that Indian Americans as a whole place a higher value on achieving higher educational goals compared to African Americans. It's not a fair comparison at all because the two groups come from entirely different backgrounds and historical circumstances. But it is one of the reasons why the cultures are so different in this country.
But neither Indian American nor African Americans are reflective of Indians or Africans worldwide.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:32 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I'm sorry but this is too US-centric a view. I appreciate the struggles of blacks in the United States, but at the same time you're not the centre of the universe and the term "black" predates your country and has international meaning and relevance in many other countries and other struggles. To overly focus on the African-American experience is to ignore the experiences and cultures of millions of other people in other areas of the world. What you have described is the definition of African-American, not black, and they are not the same thing.

But of course, you are correct that Indians are not black.
When talking about the struggle of black people in America, it is justifiably a US-centric view, which is the only view that matters in this struggle. If you are not from the US, you must understand this, or be incredibly ignorant and part of the problem.

Experiences and cultures of millions of other people in other areas of the world is a SEPARATE discussion and topic. How absurd to suggest otherwise, as a means to dilute the experience of black Americans whose treatment continues to represent America's greatest shame.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:13 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
When talking about the struggle of black people in America, it is justifiably a US-centric view, which is the only view that matters in this struggle. If you are not from the US, you must understand this, or be incredibly ignorant and part of the problem.

Experiences and cultures of millions of other people in other areas of the world is a SEPARATE discussion and topic. How absurd to suggest otherwise, as a means to dilute the experience of black Americans whose treatment continues to represent America's greatest shame.
Huh? This is the world forum, so it is the main topic, the struggle of black people in America wasn't the main topic of the thread.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:40 AM

674 posts, read 698,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post

Not sure what you're second paragraph is about actually very baffled by it. You appear to be arguing with me. Whether someone is black it doesn't mean they are close to each other genetically. The Andamese would be far closer to a person from Thailand than they would be to any African population.
I think the new Western intellectual insistence on genetic proximity is somewhat strange. At no point in human history has anyone ever said "hey I'm not going to go to war with you because we're almost genetically identical." Chimpanzees are still being dissected alive in spite of the fact that they share over 90% of the DNA of humans. Now that Westerners have admitted they made up race they want to start some other arbitrary way of grouping people. At the end of the day people make bonds based on cultural proximity coupled with physical appearance. Perhaps you are confused so let me make it clear that genetic proximity is of little import to me or most people on the planet. You and I both know that Thais would not embrace Andamese people.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:44 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,467,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahomeyAhosi View Post
I think the new Western intellectual insistence on genetic proximity is somewhat strange. At no point in human history has anyone ever said "hey I'm not going to go to war with you because we're almost genetically identical." Chimpanzees are still being dissected alive in spite of the fact that they share over 90% of the DNA of humans. Now that Westerners have admitted they made up race they want to start some other arbitrary way of grouping people. At the end of the day people make bonds based on cultural proximity coupled with physical appearance. Perhaps you are confused so let me make it clear that genetic proximity is of little import to me or most people on the planet. You and I both know that Thais would not embrace Andamese people.
I'm just giving the genetic information. It doesn't really matter what people feel about these sort of subjects I'm just giving the facts. I'm not really interested in arguing about the politics of the situation. I didn't reply to the thread to get into a deep discussion. You appear to want an argument which I don't.

You're welcome to your opinion but all I've done is reply on the genetics of populations in India.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:50 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,121,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach234 View Post
I'm curious as to what "race" does everyone consider indians?

and why they never got the classification as "black" when they too come in the same shades as the people do in Africa
Because they aren't black?

Old 11-05-2014, 04:40 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
Indians have straight hair. Africans and their descendants usually have curly hair, unless they've purposely straightened it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World