Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 08:37 PM

284 posts, read 641,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Indians have straight hair. Africans and their descendants usually have curly hair, unless they've purposely straightened it.
what does hair texture have to do with anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 10:23 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times
In my book ... Anybody darker than me is "black"
But in the U.S. Black means "descendant of Africans" ... Which I am, but since I'm Hispanic somehow that's supposed to cancel my African heritage/blood

Old 11-06-2014, 03:45 AM

3 posts, read 15,685 times
He has nothing to be proud of.

Outside of the US, other countries' people just think India is a poor developing country like most of Africa, and some may mistaken Indians for being Black people.

I am not black but black men have a much better chance with white women, and indian americans are not the mainstream of american society, blacks integrated well in american society by living in the country for a few hundreds years earlier than Indian Americans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doncastiglionejr View Post
I'm Black, have two master's degrees and not poor. And even if I was poor and uneducated, does not make the distinction for the whole entire ethnicity. You are being racist for making the distinction between Indians and African-Americans as being financial and about education. Is that what distinguishes us? What the hell..there are plenty of Indian people I know that are poor and undereducated, and it doesn't make any difference on how I look at the Indian culture or people because of it. I do not look down at them because of it, because that's morally wrong.

You remind me of one of my relatives who is African-American, who married an Indian woman recently...and her family tried to disown her for marrying him...on top of that, her family was being dismissive of my family at the wedding, even though his father and sisters were all doctors. Ah, Indian folks taking time to be very racist like yourself is something more common that not, huh?

Old 11-06-2014, 03:47 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,377,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach234 View Post
Because "black" people as a general rule have very curly hair. One characteristic of people of African descent.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:59 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,863,165 times
Well, depending on where and when, Indians were often considered black. In colonial British/French/Dutch India (and in the East Indian islands as well) there was always a "black town" and a "white town" in cities where there was a significant European presence. Black town would be were the "blacks" or native Indians lived, and white town was the European section of the city.

In addition to this, there were also some (Asian) Indians who ended up in colonial British America one way or another and were simply considered "black" and were slaves and servants like Africans. Here is a runaway slave ad for an East Indian slave from colonial Virginia:

There are also numerous accounts of East Indians in colonial America like Thomas Mayhew, John Williams, and William Creek. Once freed East Indians in colonial America simply assimilated into the local free black (African) populations. East Indians were also subject to the same anti-miscengation laws as blacks. If an East Indian had a child with an European, it was considered no different than if an African had a child with an European. As a result of this colonial presence, it is common for "white" or "black" Americans taking a DNA test to receive results showing that they are a small percentage East Indian.

Moving forward in time, the British colonists in Australia also called the aboriginals "black". I am unsure of the popularity of it's current usage in Australia, but aboriginals were certainly called "black" well into the 20th century. This is despite the fact that they are not Africans.

Black Australians

Old 11-06-2014, 11:00 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,992,041 times
Quote:
I'm curious as to what "race" does everyone consider indians?

and why they never got the classification as "black" when they too come in the same shades as the people do in Africa
If Arabs aren't considered Black then why would Indians be?

Old 11-06-2014, 11:05 AM

89 posts, read 200,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Indians have straight hair. Africans and their descendants usually have curly hair, unless they've purposely straightened it.
So if you hace curly that means you're black ?
There is a lot of europeans, north africans and arabs with curly hair.
So you can't make a difference just with hair...

Old 11-06-2014, 11:19 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,992,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linana75 View Post
So if you hace curly that means you're black ?
There is a lot of europeans, north africans and arabs with curly hair.
So you can't make a difference just with hair...
Not to be mention Aboriginals from the Australian subcontinent.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:24 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
Quote:
Or skin color? Both are physical features.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:24 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
If Arabs aren't considered Black then why would Indians be?
Indians are often much darker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World