Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 07:34 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,003,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I'm sorry but this is too US-centric a view. I appreciate the struggles of blacks in the United States, but at the same time you're not the centre of the universe and the term "black" predates your country and has international meaning and relevance in many other countries and other struggles. To overly focus on the African-American experience is to ignore the experiences and cultures of millions of other people in other areas of the world. What you have described is the definition of African-American, not black, and they are not the same thing.

But of course, you are correct that Indians are not black.

Africans did not (and many still don't) refer to themselves as black until African Americans used the term. Africans on the continent identify by ethnic grouping and nationality...not so much color. Whites would sometimes describe those in Africa as "black" but they also referred to dark-haired Irish and Dutchmen as "black Irish" or "black Dutch" when they had dark hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Because a lot of them are Indo-European. They're the "Indo" in Indo-European. They're descended from the people who migrated to Central Asia from the Russian steppes and set up a civilization there in the oasis towns. From there they migrated to Afghanistan and northwest India. The intense sun of India turned them dark.

Here's what they looked like before they migrated into India. Some of them had red hair, some--blond, others had chestnut hair.
Those were the invaders...the Aryans. Many (darker) south Indians descend from the original inhabitants of the subcontinent. It's no coincidence that most Brahmins and Kshatriya's are "Indo-European" in appearance while those in the Scheduled Castes tend to have skin tones that are darker than most black Americans.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:09 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,483,937 times

Does she look black to you?

They look like they are straight out of Africa..

Old 11-06-2014, 08:29 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,008,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post

Does she look black to you?

They look like they are straight out of Africa..
Those aren't good examples for what typical Indian looks like. The overwhelming majority of the population do not have East Asian features.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Those aren't good examples for what typical Indian looks like. The overwhelming majority of the population do not have East Asian features.
Yeah those Indians probably come from near the Himalayas. Sort of the dividing line between South and East Asia.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:37 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,474,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfa-ish View Post
What is "black"? In US it is a specific term referring to African-Americans. It can be confusing because a lot of black people are lighter than a lot of Indians. Usually people talk about "dark" and "light" skin when talking about skin tone - among us "colored" folks

Along the same vein, some Jews, Italians, Black Irish and Black Spaniards are pretty dark - if not black then brown. But they consider themselves white.

The census people define "white" or Caucasians as "people with origin in Europe or Middle East" - so Arabs can call themselves white.

Also, never mind that the Caucasus mountains have nothing to do with being white, unless you believe that Aryans originated there and spread to Europe and India.
A bit OT but when people refer to "Black Irish", a completely American term by the way, they are meaning someone like Pierce Brosnan. It only means dark hair because your not going to find any native Irish people with particularly dark skin.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:04 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,548,157 times
India is too diverse to make general statements. You have white, black, East Asian, etc featues all over There is a genetic link between the Tamils and Aborgines in Australia. It's a no brainer, because you can clearly see the physical similarities between both groups. Tamils were a seafaring civilization who traded and built empires all over.

India was sort of the " America" of the anicent world where ppl all over came and settled.

As for those who claim, Indians don't marry out, they do. There are only less than 3 million ppl in the US of Indian descent. Many have already intermarried with various ppl. I tend to think they mixed quicker than many other groups considering many have been in America for only one generation, max two.

As the Indo European theory, that has been debunked by genetics.

My family is of Jewish desent who settled in Indian for close to 1500 yrs, practicing endogamy. We live in the Southern tip of India. Even here, you can find many shades of color in people. It is the only place in the world, where Jews have never been hurt. FACT.

With regard to this debate about education and other nonsense......you can find ambitious and motivated ppl anywhere. In Africa, my personal experience has taught me the most educated Africans (as a whole) tend to be ppl from Nigeria. Many Africans come to India and elsewhere, to study and work. There are many Indian professors in Africa who have taught the young generations. Anyone is capable as long as you give them a chance and work with them to excel.

Siddhis are an African community living in Indian for over 800 yrs. They came with the Islamic hordes and have since assimilated.

Many ppl will talk about caste, how horrific it is, and how its the worst thing to come out of India. Well, your history books and teachers fail to educate you all on how Caste is what is today. Many Hindus argue in the beginning it was nothing like that, and that it was manipulated over time. Many ppl today associate it with color and attribute it to India, yet they forget the English and Muslim role as they tried to subdue India. Educate yourselves. Gov'ts and certain 'powers' don't have an interest for the public to truly know what the facts are!

https://archive.org/stream/codificat...aiala_djvu.txt

Herbert Hope Risley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Mistertee; 11-06-2014 at 10:17 PM..

Old 11-07-2014, 09:00 PM

919 posts, read 848,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
My family is of Jewish desent who settled in Indian for close to 1500 yrs, practicing endogamy. We live in the Southern tip of India. Even here, you can find many shades of color in people. It is the only place in the world, where Jews have never been hurt. FACT.
Interesting!

I am convinced my people came over quite recently to India (maybe less than 500 years ago) and sort of promoted ourselves into Brahmins. Other Brahmins were initially very suspicious of us and refused to marry into us, but gradually accepted us thanks to our political power.
On the other hand, other groups of refugees like Jews, Parsees et al came before us yet never tried to become Hindus. I wonder why we did.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:19 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
In my book ... Anybody darker than me is "black"
But in the U.S. Black means "descendant of Africans" ... Which I am, but since I'm Hispanic somehow that's supposed to cancel my African heritage/blood
No, it does not "cancel" anything; a Hispanic can be of any race, this is clearly marked on any US gov (and possibly job application) demographic data collection sheet.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:56 PM

59 posts, read 83,048 times
People in India are belong to only one race and people are from different parts of the country have different color according to their climate conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World