Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2014, 11:58 AM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I don't think that outlook is isolationist or unique. It felt much like here, with the world view being an ethnocentric one.
I don't think that the the views of your average American Joe is consciously "isolationist" as in "let's disconnect from the rest of them." Au contraire, Americans often make a *concentrated effort* to be worldly (particularly while encountering foreigners.)
But things just don't work out this way)))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 12:10 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
But in the US you NEED more money. In other countries many things that are covered by the tax money you need to finance by yourself in America.
Let's assume you need more money; I provided a link that the median American does have more money to spend. Where's the evidence that the median American is worse off?

Old 11-20-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
This is bound to happen to people who live in a very big and amazing country that happens to be located in a pretty isolated location in the world.... we can't really help it, we have so much here plus all the other amazing parts of the world are sooooooooo far away.
I would love to tie a rope to Japan and China and pull them closer to us but i don't think that's possible.
Invinsible - no offense, but I think that America WAS amazing country once - probably up to the seventies.
Not so much of "amaziness" left - just a good country for the most part to live in, but nothing exceptional or outstanding any longer.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:20 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Invinsible - no offense, but I think that America WAS amazing country once - probably up to the seventies.
Not so much of "amaziness" left - just a good country for the most part to live in, but nothing exceptional or outstanding any longer.
Awe did the national parks, disneyworld, new york city, alaska, hawaii, grand canyon, rocky mountains disappear?

Old 11-20-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Awe did the national parks, disneyworld, new york city, alaska, hawaii, grand canyon, rocky mountains disappear?
No, nature/national parks are still amazing.
I don't care much for Disneyworld or New-York, sorry.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:26 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
It's not isolated in economic and political sense of it; in fact it's pretty much in the center of it all.
But as far as the daily lives of average Americans goes - the outlook, the common views, the interests - yes, it's the world of its own. Quite disconnected from the rest, comparably, say, even to Europeans.
I'd assume New Zealand is similar. What about Canadians?

Old 11-20-2014, 12:28 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
No, nature/national parks are still amazing.
I don't care much for Disneyworld or New-York, sorry.
Those two places are huge draws for international tourist sooo yeah..

Old 11-20-2014, 12:29 PM

61 posts, read 68,569 times
Quote:
Very beautiful of course, but not what I prefer in America.
I prefer remote state parks and tend to avoid crowded national parks.
And I especially like Middle West. Underrated landscapes, very good people.
But I'm biased, as I go in the summer. Didn't experience Michigan winter yet.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessplayer View Post
Very beautiful of course, but not what I prefer in America.
I prefer remote state parks and tend to avoid crowded national parks.
And I especially like Middle West. Underrated landscapes, very good people.
But I'm biased, as I go in the summer. Didn't experience Michigan winter yet.
People - I prefer the Midwest. Definitely. Feels like the "old world" the most.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I'd assume New Zealand is similar. What about Canadians?
Are you asking for my opinion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World