Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2014, 10:54 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
There are only three states in which some workers' MAY have minimum wage rates below that of federal law. Those states are Georgia, Arkansas, and Wyoming. However, the laws are a bit confusing because if a state has no minimum wage law, OR a minimum wage law on the books that is lower than the federal law mandates, the federal minimum wage rate applies to ALL workers who fall under that federal law - regardless of the states' law.

State Minimum Wages | 2014 Minimum Wage by State

http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/america.htm

Minimum Wage ? What it is, Who Earns it, Federal & State Laws
Cool. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 11:13 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Cool. Thanks
Anything I can do to help!

Wage and Hour laws are confusing.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:39 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
READ THE WAGE AND HOUR LAW if you really, truly want to understand this. Overtime pay is required for nearly ALL workers who are paid by the hour (like, about 98 percent of workers who are paid by the hour).

http://www.dol.gov/whd/flsa/
I'm not sure if someone has mentioned this, but many minimum wage workers work two jobs to make ends meet. That increases the amount of hours worked in a week and since it's two jobs, OT is not paid.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:43 AM

1,398 posts, read 1,488,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Thanks, exactly. I'm pretty sure that if the "average" American was working 10 or 11 hours a day, seven days a week, I would know at least one of those people.
I know several and I'm not even living in America.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:47 AM

1,398 posts, read 1,488,894 times
Quote:

It depends on the field. My husband gets 26 weeks off per year.
But he still can not take the whole month of July or August off, right?

Old 11-22-2014, 11:55 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
But as I said earlier, if for some weird reason, it makes you feel better to think that American workers are miserable, overworked sods held under their employers' thumbs by threats of losing their jobs, then carry on.
You know, I'm starting to realize the truth of what you are saying. For some reason, several people here want to believe that "average Americans" work 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, with no weekends, holidays, or vacations, all for a pittance. They actually "know" people who live like this! So why bother to present actual facts?

Old 11-22-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'm not sure if someone has mentioned this, but many minimum wage workers work two jobs to make ends meet. That increases the amount of hours worked in a week and since it's two jobs, OT is not paid.
When people work two jobs in Europe, do they get paid overtime? Is it against the law for people in Europe to hold down two jobs and work more than a set number of hours per week combined?

I really don't know the answer to this and I guess I could google it but I thought I'd ask you first.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
But he still can not take the whole month of July or August off, right?
He can take off as much time as he wants to at any time of the year. And that's the truth. Not many people in either Europe or the US could say that and I realize that we're lucky.

Hey, you asked.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
You know, I'm starting to realize the truth of what you are saying. For some reason, several people here want to believe that "average Americans" work 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, with no weekends, holidays, or vacations, all for a pittance. They actually "know" people who live like this! So why bother to present actual facts?
I don't know why I bother sometimes. Maybe I'm eternally optimistic.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:19 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
When people work two jobs in Europe, do they get paid overtime? Is it against the law for people in Europe to hold down two jobs and work more than a set number of hours per week combined?

I really don't know the answer to this and I guess I could google it but I thought I'd ask you first.
My comment wasn't about Europe or anywhere in particular. It was pointing out that yes, some people do work 60 or more hours a week with no OT. I imagine it's the same in most places.

The conversation in this thread was focusing on people who need only one job and how the law covers them.
People seemed to be forgetting the working poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World