Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 06:51 PM

16,572 posts, read 27,266,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It's about available options. Driving down the I 5 offers very little choice in good quality restaurants near the freeway.

Good cheese in parts of the US is not as easy to find as it is in France now is it? The selections I found even in the higher end supermarkets was still less choice than I find at home...but it wasn't an issue.

Now once in a city or town, yes people should do their homework and try know about what food choices there are, and what is put into food in certain countries that isn't in others.

I for example will not buy anything but BGH free dairy in the US. It is illegal to use in dairy in Canada and the EU..for what I believe a valid reason.

Also bread in the US uses Bromate, again illegal in Canada and the EU.

Minor things to some, but there are choices.
Let's flip this around:

American goes to country X; in the US I was always able to find.....

Why isn't______ like I can find in the US?

In the US_________ simple taste better IMO than in does in country X

I found my choices in country X more limited than in the US

When Americans do this on these forums, the criticism goes on for pages and pages and rightly so. Now some of you are doing the exact same thing in this thread. Why is it ok?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Talk sh-t about SUV's and the landscape in the middle all you want but don't talk sh-t about Wal Mart!

And they don't even specialize in food
Oh come on. Wal-Mart is terrible on so many levels.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
Well yes but its supposed to be a supermarket not a warehouse and their clothing is awful.
Wal-Mart was never designed to be a supermarket. It is a warehouse type store that happens to also sell food and this isn't even true with every location as there are Wal-Marts without food in them.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:05 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,191,315 times
Really!! I thought it was a supermarket

Old 11-15-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
Really!! I thought it was a supermarket
No, it's basically a giant general store. All have clothing, electronics and other items like cleaning supplies etc. The Wal-Mart super centers are the ones with actual groceries in them. It's really a hybrid store.

Target does something similar but Target is like a department store rather than a warehouse. Some Targets also have grocery food items in them although a more limited selection than the Wal-Mart super centers.

Then there's Costco which is a true warehouse. You can buy pretty much ANYTHING at Costco from groceries, to TV's to gasoline (Petrol) to cars, to greenhouses and even coffins!

Old 11-15-2014, 07:22 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,191,315 times
Yes i've been in Walmart and it was massive, I thought they were all like that with food. It was alright.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:31 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,391,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Oh come on. Wal-Mart is terrible on so many levels.
Yea but its probably one of the most successful big box stores on this planet... they must be doing something right.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:39 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,507,038 times
Quote:
Let's flip this around:

American goes to country X; in the US I was always able to find.....

Why isn't______ like I can find in the US?

In the US_________ simple taste better IMO than in does in country X

I found my choices in country X more limited than in the US

When Americans do this on these forums, the criticism goes on for pages and pages and rightly so. Now some of you are doing the exact same thing in this thread. Why is it ok?
But all she did was point out that she avoids certain types of food items with additives that are not regulated in the USA for health reasons. I knew about the milk, but actually not the bread. Interesting.

But to be fair, Canada's cheese selection in general also sucks compared to Europe. I haven't even been to France, which is known for cheese, but Spain, Germany, and I think the Netherlands had fantastic choices and quality. Here cheese is not fake or anything usually, but it is very boring and mass produced cheddars and mozarellas in bizarrely elongated rectangular packages. If you want anything more than that it quickly becomes really unaffordable to buy it regularly.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Yea but its probably one of the most successful big box stores on this planet... they must be doing something right.
If you call buying from overseas sweat shops selling cheap crap at the expense of American small businesses and American products "something right" then yeah, they can do no wrong.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:37 AM

11,223 posts, read 16,349,599 times
Quote:
If you call buying from overseas sweat shops selling cheap crap at the expense of American small businesses and American products "something right" then yeah, they can do no wrong.
lol!!

I do try and avoid Sprawl-Mart as much as possible. I try and go local when I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World