Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 11:40 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,375,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
But all she did was point out that she avoids certain types of food items with additives that are not regulated in the USA for health reasons. I knew about the milk, but actually not the bread. Interesting.

But to be fair, Canada's cheese selection in general also sucks compared to Europe. I haven't even been to France, which is known for cheese, but Spain, Germany, and I think the Netherlands had fantastic choices and quality. Here cheese is not fake or anything usually, but it is very boring and mass produced cheddars and mozarellas in bizarrely elongated rectangular packages. If you want anything more than that it quickly becomes really unaffordable to buy it regularly.
Well, the US and Canada are not Europe. They are North American with North American tastes and customs. Again, this same thing against Europe or anyplace else would have seen a hail storm of often long winded, repetitive posts talking about how Americans are so insular (which we are, not denying that) but when others criticize what is offered here, no one bats an eye. I don't care if it's North America or Europe, it's the hypocrisy that irritates me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 11:45 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,375,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
lol!!

I do try and avoid Sprawl-Mart as much as possible. I try and go local when I can.
Yeah, I go local and regional. In California we have a grocery store called Grocery Outlet. It's headquartered in my hometown of Berkeley, a city that is almost all local businesses. It has prices cheaper than "Sprawl-Mart" ( I like that one). In Chula Vista where I live, there are also lots of local mom and pop places that are great to shop in. I spend more to protect local businesses and help keep money in my local community. Granted, Chula Vista has a Wal-Mart super center too

Old 11-16-2014, 01:03 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,418,213 times
Good for you, Gentoo. I love going to Mom n' Pop places, and it doesn't bother me one bit to pay a little more if it goes back in to the community.

Old 11-16-2014, 02:18 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,204,277 times
Well I stuck to Public and Winn Dixie because I wanted proper high quality food.

Old 11-16-2014, 02:40 AM

I find the local stores around here have far superior food than places like Wal-Mart, as they get as much as possible from local farmers. My food spends 1/2hr or less on a truck to get to where I buy it.

Old 11-16-2014, 02:46 AM

I kind of felt Walmart was for poor people.

Old 11-16-2014, 03:11 AM

Well, Wal-Mart is for everyone. I'd say it's geared more towards the middle class. But sure, "poor" folk shop there too, because things are generally affordable for them, and you can get all sorts of things you need in one spot, which is particularly helpful if you don't have a car.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:08 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,849,982 times
How many people, upon traveling to a new land, immediately rush out to the nearest supermarket to see what the local cheese selection looks like? O_o

Actually, whenever I travel, I like to go into supermarkets, to get an idea of what sort of stuff local people like to eat, how much goods cost, etc, if nothing else out of simple curiosity. This goes for the US, different parts of China, etc as well as abroad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo
Well, the US and Canada are not Europe. They are North American with North American tastes and customs. Again, this same thing against Europe or anyplace else would have seen a hail storm of often long winded, repetitive posts talking about how Americans are so insular (which we are, not denying that) but when others criticize what is offered here, no one bats an eye. I don't care if it's North America or Europe, it's the hypocrisy that irritates me.
Right there with you.

Are Americans insular? Sure! But, go into the interior of China and offer people a taco, falafel, some fondue, or a simple grilled cheese sandwich, then watch them gape at it with suspect curiosity and then shoo it away... offer a non-Parisian Frenchman a bowl of Thai curried tofu or a plate of Chinese chow mian and watch them go "ugh" and give the dish a dismissive wave. Other cultures that are just as insular about their food tend to get a pass because, well, they aren't America! They have rich culinary histories and people there take pride in what they eat! ... as though the US is the only country on earth that doesn't have a rich culinary history of its own and regional dishes that people take pride in preparing and eating.

Also, in urban America, the culinary scene is anything but insular. Many Americans love trying new cuisines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci
It's about available options. Driving down the I 5 offers very little choice in good quality restaurants near the freeway.

Good cheese in parts of the US is not as easy to find as it is in France now is it? The selections I found even in the higher end supermarkets was still less choice than I find at home...but it wasn't an issue.
But ironically, most towns off the five will have a supermarket where you probably can get at least some imported cheeses. Safeway/Vons and Albertson's are the most prevalent chains and they tend to have fairly standardized selections across the state. You'd probably be able to get, for example, imported bleus, gorngonzolas, etc; you'd also have higher-quality US brands like Tillamook or Cabot.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:03 AM

ME. We always rent houses.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:31 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,425,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
If you can stay at four star hotels when traveling you can travel and get decent food and drink. Especially if you spend less on lodging.
That ¡s the point. In the US you have to make sacrifices or get out of your way to find quality food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World