Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which continent would be easiest to travel around?
Asia 5 35.71%
South America 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 03:30 PM

9 posts, read 9,324 times

Advertisements

If you were traveling to Asia or South America and wanted to travel to all or most of their regions, which would be the easiest and cheapest continent to do so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 02:38 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,838,061 times
South America, not only because it has a more westernized culture than asia so its easier for a westerner to get and understand the culture, it's also less big than asia so you can see a lot of stuff without having to cross endless borders and deal with bureaucracy (try crossing the border of china and vietnam (its a nightmare), while crossing from Brazil to uruguay is as easy as just having a valid ID card.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:53 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,377,903 times
Easiest would be South America. Learn the spanish, and you are probably good to go. But isn't it boring?

Travelling in Asia is NOT easy but it is more diverse than South America. TBH, famous asian cities (Hong Kong, Singapore, Seoul, Tokyo, Dubai) are actually more westernized than South American major cities. But then again, why would a western traveler travels to a place he/she knows what to expect?

Asia is more diverse with lots of surprises, adventures and excitement. Each country in Asia have both tastes of western and asia within its country. Too many languages, cultural differences, religion, economy, food and variety of people. Best bet for a traveler is to tour across Southeast Asia region.

Firstly, land to Singapore, travel by bus to Malaysia. Then hop a plane going to Bangkok and explore Thailand. Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos are also worth visiting. Don't forget Bali (Indonesia) or Boracay (Philippines) for remarkable beach experience. Then return back to Singapore before returning home

Old 11-17-2014, 04:42 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,838,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Easiest would be South America. Learn the spanish, and you are probably good to go. But isn't it boring?

Travelling in Asia is NOT easy but it is more diverse than South America. TBH, famous asian cities (Hong Kong, Singapore, Seoul, Tokyo, Dubai) are actually more westernized than South American major cities. But then again, why would a western traveler travels to a place he/she knows what to expect?

Asia is more diverse with lots of surprises, adventures and excitement. Each country in Asia have both tastes of western and asia within its country. Too many languages, cultural differences, religion, economy, food and variety of people. Best bet for a traveler is to tour across Southeast Asia region.

Firstly, land to Singapore, travel by bus to Malaysia. Then hop a plane going to Bangkok and explore Thailand. Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos are also worth visiting. Don't forget Bali (Indonesia) or Boracay (Philippines) for remarkable beach experience. Then return back to Singapore before returning home
South America is not boring at all

South America is like a mixture of Southern Europe, the United States, the local indigenous people and Africa...

Old 11-17-2014, 06:09 AM

9 posts, read 9,324 times
Thanks for the replies guys. I think it's fair to let you know that I really couldn't care less about which one is more westernized, that's part of the reason I'm looking to move, to get away from American/European culture.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:32 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
South America is not boring at all

South America is like a mixture of Southern Europe, the United States, the local indigenous people and Africa...
Compared to Asia one could describe South America as boring I wouldn't though.

South America is diverse in its own way...Peru then you have Guyana that's a big difference

Old 11-17-2014, 10:34 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHardToHideIt View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I think it's fair to let you know tChihat I really couldn't care less about which one is more westernized, that's part of the reason I'm looking to move, to get away from American/European culture.
Hmmm.

Western Culture is essentially European or European derived culture (like Argentina or the USA) if you want to move from that type of culture you'd need to move to a Country with little European derived culture like Malaysia, India or maybe Peru, Ecuador and Bolivia.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:37 AM

30,350 posts, read 19,122,995 times
I´ve worked all over Asia and now working in Peru. I´m torn but one big advantage of South America is if you can speak or learn Spanish. I´m learning while here and learning fast. One disadvantage of S. America is that is is unsafe in several areas while Asia is safe except for Afghanistan.

I do like that in asia, you can travel without fear of being attacked or mugged. Its also quite cheap in contries such as Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines. The other advantage is they speak English in Malaysia and Philippines.

I will go with Asia unless you speak or willing to learn Spanish.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:06 AM

240 posts, read 239,638 times
South America for sure, first its close , second mostly under the wing of North America and if you speak Spanish its a breeze, Asain laguages tend to much more difficult for Americans

Old 11-19-2014, 01:49 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,605,190 times
I'd say travelling from Singapore to Beijing overland would be a lot more comfortable than travelling from Bogota to Buenos Aires, both around the same distance from one another. Obviously Asia is a hell of a lot bigger than South America, so there is that to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World