Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Continents where it is Bigger
Europe 13 34.21%
The Americas (including the U.S.) 12 31.58%
Asia 13 34.21%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 01:47 PM

657 posts, read 801,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Here in China I rarely hear anti-American statements from the Chinese... I'm going to define "anti American" statements as being things like, "I hate America," "Americans are stupid," etc, and not simply criticising American policies or what have you. If I hear anything anti-American, its usually either from an American,, or its from a European expat who is likely drunk. This is not a common occurrence.

most people simply have better things to do with their time than sit there seething about how much they hate 350 million people they've never met nor are affected by at all.
If that's the definition then I would say Britain is near the top of the list. I've heard those things said more times than I can count, heck I used to one of the people who used to say those things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 05:37 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,717,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
If that's the definition then I would say Britain is near the top of the list. I've heard those things said more times than I can count, heck I used to one of the people who used to say those things.
yeah then again each country's got ignorant people

Old 12-02-2014, 09:21 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,796,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
There are a lot of Americans that don't drink the Kool Aid our gov't pours out. I love America and have long roots here (to 1650s English Virginia) but our gov't does a lot of needless garbage to other countries that is unneeded and fruitless.
How much time and money has Europe or Asia spent on helping poor countries? Not as much as America that's guaranteed. China doesn't help anybody and Japan isn't much different in that regard.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:49 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,341,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
How much time and money has Europe or Asia spent on helping poor countries? Not as much as America that's guaranteed. China doesn't help anybody and Japan isn't much different in that regard.
List of governments by development aid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-02-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
That's just the governments when you factor in the actual population and it's people no country can compete with America for helping other people and like I said China is nowhere even on the radar. A country like Japan doesn't even really have a military so they can't help out in the ways the US can. Love to see the Euro's on here try and debate all of this. It will be like a little child stomping their feet in a tantrum.

When you're at the top and the best you always got the haters.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:15 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,529,366 times
I went with the Americas because of lingering anti-imperialist sentiment, jealousy, and a few legitimate gripes. Some of the most virulent diatribes from world leaders come from there but they all seem to come from relatively powerless countries.

Europe, outside of a few pretentious folks ignorant of their own history, still appreciates America. Even Russians seem to admire America despite the freeze in our political relations lately.

Asia outside of North Korea seems to be mostly pro American. Relations with the Chinese greatly improved due to expanding trade and they don't seem too keen on openly antagonizing our relations.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Love to see the Euro's on here try and debate all of this. It will be like a little child stomping their feet in a tantrum.
Oh, not stomping my feet or anything. Just pointing out that the US definitely doesn't spend that much on development aid compared to other nations.

Now, you surely do spend a lot on military aid. In addition to these 31billion you spent 17billion on military assistance in the year of 2012. What countries received this assistance, you ask? Mostly Afghanistan followed by Israel, Iraq, Egypt and Pakistan. Now tell me, why should Europe finance the conflicts you began?

And by the way: Even when factoring in military assistance, you'd still spend less of your gross national income on foreign aid than many countries in Western Europe sans military assistance.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Oh, not stomping my feet or anything. Just pointing out that the US definitely doesn't spend that much on development aid compared to other nations.

Now, you surely do spend a lot on military aid. In addition to these 31billion you spent 17billion on military assistance in the year of 2012. What countries received this assistance, you ask? Mostly Afghanistan followed by Israel, Iraq, Egypt and Pakistan. Now tell me, why should Europe finance the conflicts you began?

And by the way: Even when factoring in military assistance, you'd still spend less of your gross national income on foreign aid than many countries in Western Europe sans military assistance.
Yes, it does. The GNI in that chart is given in percentages. The USA's GNI is so large, now over 16 trillion dollars, it would have to give away an astounding amount of money just to reach the 1 percent park. 1 percent of 16 trillion is 160 billion. China's is over 8 trillion and does absolutely nothing for the rest of the world except pick on small countries in Asia.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Yes, it does. The GNI in that chart is given in percentages. The USA's GNI is so large, now over 16 trillion dollars, it would have to give away an astounding amount of money just to reach the 1 percent park. 1 percent of 16 trillion is 160 billion. China's is over 8 trillion and does absolutely nothing for the rest of the world except pick on small countries in Asia.
Ah, so now that we established that European countries do in fact spend more on foreign aid you are back paddling and start comparing the US to a developing country... Remember that thing with stomping one's feet? You are doing that right now.

Now, there are lots of things an American can be proud of. Foreign aid? Well... Not so much in the more recent past.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:54 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,789,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I think the sole reason for this is that Europeans are more aware of America and more connected to it than say, India.

In the end the most and almost only anti-Americans in Europe as well are radical leftists or russophiles.
Well Europe is a large area, anti-Americanism may be stronger in some countries vs others. From my experience in Portugal, Spain, and Italy, people would very freely talk crap about Americans- in taxis, metros, trains, everywhere. Since I am Mexican-American, I guess they assumed I would go along with their comments??? They would even tell tell me I was 'different' from 'the other' Americans. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World