Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 11:41 AM

4,038 posts, read 4,862,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I think this might be why. I've walked by a few McDonalds in Germany out of the way of city centres and they were fairly busy with what did not seem like tourists. Obviously a different story if you have a look at the McDonalds on Las Ramblas, Barcelona.

My experience has been that American and Canadian diets don't seem terribly different, but I think there is less tendency to eat fast food at every possible meal in Canada. I think it's a class thing at the end of the day in almost all cases. People with a reasonable disposable income are usually educated and can afford and know what to do with the ingredients to do homecooked meals, even though I disagree with the sentiment that fast food is always cheaper. It's not. Clean eating is also very popular here, moreso with every passing day.
IMO it's totally a class thing. I don't understand why foreigners generalize the eating habits of some Americans to all Americans. Maybe those are the people who've never been to the US, and who don't have the sense to know that not everyone's alike. I'm surprised MacD's manages to stay afloat in Europe at all. Why would anyone buy that junk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 12:03 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,792,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Why do Americans (and let's face it, this does include Canadians) eat poorly?

Because we can. We have more food than everyone else. We also have the technology to make corn and soy into anything we want, from the huge plastic bowls to hold our popcorn to the butter substitute we pour onto the popcorn, to the corn sweeteners we gulp down in our giant sodas in order to swallow the popcorn, to fuel so we can drive over to the 7-11 to buy more popcorn and soda. We invented all of that!

We have endless options for mindless entertainment that demands couch time and snacking because we don't want to be bothered by the rest of the world's problems.

Face it. You're envious.

[b]That the Mexicans are now fatter than us is perhaps our greatest achievement, because we actually exported Taco Bell and Dominos down there in order to give them more incentive to stay put. Fatter Mexicans also can't run away from the border patrol as fast as skinny ones.
You are proud of this? This is sad. Too much access to junk food and sodas at every corner is not a good thing and not something to be jealous of.

In the US you see people who are in wheelchairs because they are so obese that they can't walk. And this is common, unfortunately. Or, people so obese they can barely walk. Horrible.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:05 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
When was the last time you went to a German grocery store?
Three months ago. Again in two weeks.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:11 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
You are proud of this? This is sad. Too much access to junk food and sodas at every corner is not a good thing and not something to be jealous of.

In the US you see people who are in wheelchairs because they are so obese that they can't walk. And this is common, unfortunately. Or, people so obese they can barely walk. Horrible.
Psst, rosa: sskink's post was tongue-in-cheek. Sarcasm. Irony.

He's as disgusted by the eating habits of Americans (and Canadians) as you are.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:33 PM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Since people tend to eat too much or make bad choices when they have endless food options, should the US. government discourage restaurant businesses or have them cut back?

Old 12-13-2014, 12:50 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Since people tend to eat too much or make bad choices when they have endless food options, should the US. government discourage restaurant businesses or have them cut back?
too punitive

although i wouldn't be opposed to tax credits or incentives as a result of having a healthy diet.

Old 12-13-2014, 01:33 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post

I personally don't care... i'm not a fan of telling other people to eat the things i like..

don't really know why you guys (who aren't even American) are bothered by this so much...

Old 12-13-2014, 05:08 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,792,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I personally don't care... i'm not a fan of telling other people to eat the things i like..

don't really know why you guys (who aren't even American) are bothered by this so much...
I am American. It is in our best interest to have a healthy society. I don't like seeing small overweight children with diabetes. I don't like seeing overweight adults who can't walk because they don't eat healthy. It is SAD. They are also not happy with that situation.

Not only that, guess who pays for the poor health choices of many of these people who tend to be lower-income individuals? Middle and upper class America via Medical and now Covered CA. They don't have to worry about paying for food or healthcare, so they continue with their bad eating habits. In the meantime, middle class America is screwed over. We have to pay for health insurance, we pay higher taxes and have to subsidize these programs. How does that make sense?

It is also BS that poor people cannot afford to eat healthy. A bag of beans, rice and a head of lettuce or other basic foods are way cheaper than fast food.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:46 PM

1,398 posts, read 1,488,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post

It's bad for your whole society

Old 12-16-2014, 01:41 PM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
too punitive

although i wouldn't be opposed to tax credits or incentives as a result of having a healthy diet.
The other night, my wife and I went to an Irish pub and had corned beef and cabbage and crab cakes. I was thinking to myself - people could easily get fat off of this food if they abused it.

So, there is no escaping it when you have nearly unlimited food options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World