Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more powerful?
New York City 136 60.44%
London 89 39.56%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 07:50 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
And you would still be wrong -- at least regarding the NBA. It is massively followed around the world. If you don't know this, you should do some research or travel a little. I don't even know why that should come as a surprise -- its the top league in the second most popular sport in the world. It has also become increasingly international btw. 20% of the NBA players are foreigners.
London hosts more international sport than NYC, has more stadia than NYC and Football (soccer) is by far the most watched and followed sport in the world by a long way.

Whilst the other major sports played in London such as Cricket and Rugby are also massively popular.

I no longer even know what you a even arguing about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 08:28 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,247,607 times
Quote:
And you would still be wrong -- at least regarding the NBA. It is massively followed around the world. If you don't know this, you should do some research or travel a little. I don't even know why that should come as a surprise -- its the top league in the second most popular sport in the world. It has also become increasingly international btw. 20% of the NBA players are foreigners.
I've done quite a bit of traveling Fitz, all around Europe, plus North Africa, India, Japan, and several times to the US (my wife is from there), so no need to be like that.

Btw you didn't make a response about NYC never hosting the summer olympics. Any idea why?

Old 12-16-2014, 08:37 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,298,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
London hosts more international sport than NYC, has more stadia than NYC and Football (soccer) is by far the most watched and followed sport in the world by a long way.

Whilst the other major sports played in London such as Cricket and Rugby are also massively popular.

I no longer even know what you a even arguing about.
I am arguing that the criteria you've set up, though not irrational, is geared to favor London. There is other legitimate criteria that can be used which would favor NYC. I have already spelled it out several times.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
I've done quite a bit of traveling Fitz, all around Europe, plus North Africa, India, Japan, and several times to the US (my wife is from there), so no need to be like that.

Btw you didn't make a response about NYC never hosting the summer olympics. Any idea why?
I think there's been a trend away from America at the IOC for a number of years. For good reasons, I might add. London has better infrastructure, better location and better international sporting pedigree.

Btw, nothing I have said on this thread should be interpreted as any animus towards London. It's one of my favorite cities in the world. I have just been detecting a lot of arrogant and dismissive UK-centric views that I am trying to pull back.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
I am arguing that the criteria you've set up, though not irrational, is geared to favor London. There is other legitimate criteria that can be used which would favor NYC. I have already spelled it out several times.
I haven't set up any criteria nor is anything I have said irrational, it is merely fact.

London hosts more international sport, football (soccer) is the most popular sport in the world and London has more stadia than NYC.

Simple as that.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:48 AM

LONDON

Wembley Stadium (London) - 90,000

Link

Twickenham Stadium (London) - 82,000

Link

Olympic Stadium (London) - 80,000

Link

Emirates Stadium (London) - 60,000

Link

Stamford Bridge - London - 42,000

Link

White Hart Lane - London - 36,000

Link

Upton Park (London) - 35,000

Link

The Valley (London) - 27,000

Link

Selhurst Park (London) - 26,500

Link

Craven Cottage (London) - 26,000

Link

The Den (London) - 20,000

Link

Loftus Road (London) - 18,360

Last edited by Bamford; 12-16-2014 at 09:40 AM..

Old 12-16-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
I haven't set up any criteria nor is anything I have said irrational, it is merely fact.

London hosts more international sport, football (soccer) is the most popular sport in the world and London has more stadia than NYC.

Simple as that.
I said it was NOT irrational. But there are other metrics one could look at where NY comes ahead.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:39 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,247,607 times
Quote:
I think there's been a trend away from America at the IOC for a number of years. For good reasons, I might add. London has better infrastructure, better location and better international sporting pedigree.

Btw, nothing I have said on this thread should be interpreted as any animus towards London. It's one of my favorite cities in the world. I have just been detecting a lot of arrogant and dismissive UK-centric views that I am trying to pull back.
So apart from the popularity of the EPL (among other sports), this is what makes London, arguably, the current world leader in hosting sports.

I agree, some of us defending it's position might have gone overboard but I think it's just passion rather than arrogance. My initial posts were in response to those who expressed surprise that London was considered number one in one of the links posted earlier.

Anyway, I think I'm done with this. Well, maybe!

Old 12-16-2014, 09:41 AM

401 posts, read 649,866 times
It's a bit stupid to argue about sports, the US and Europe have two very different cultures regarding sports, Americans don't care about football and Europeans never watch American sports (some may watch NBA games occasionally but that's about it). Both London and NYC are big in their respective continent and that's all you can say about it.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:45 AM

QPR have plans for a 40,000 seat stadium, West Ham are moving from Upton Park to the Olympic Stadium, Tottenham are planning to build a new 60,000 seater stadium next door to White Hart Lane, Chelsea are looking to expand their stadium capacity to 50,000 plus.

Crystal Palace have plans in place to expend their Selhurst Park stadium, whilst Brentford are currently building a new 20,000 seater stadium.

There is also a proposal to base a permanent NFL Team at Wembley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World