Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 04:02 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,838,833 times

Advertisements

I prefer japanese culture.... American culture to me places too much importance on consumerism and money.

Japanese culture on the other hand is based on values, tradition, you go to japan and you're in a new world to discover, you go to America and yes is beautiful but that beauty is tainted with way too many issues with guns, race, abusive police, religion, immigration and so on.

I also like the walkability of japanese cities, u can go anywhere by bike, bus, tram, train.... in America you need a car to go most places which is pretty isolating.

Last edited by Irene-cd; 12-01-2014 at 04:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 06:57 PM

360 posts, read 982,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
This isn't unique to Tokyo. Same goes for Berlin
If you didn't already realize, I also mentioned Tokyo as one of the most densely populated cities in the world, comparable to American cities like NYC. Berlin isn't even close to that.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:22 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
The one that everyone copies.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:52 AM

5 posts, read 6,189 times
terms none expected result playing for time batty more life american gods spring without sacrifice doable how noone knows the last trick only possible/reasonable answer get on with it none given none taken request pleasure of your company till calculable end

Old 12-02-2014, 08:49 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,798,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
I guess that explains for Japan being loved so much
Now do american or mexican
I pick mexican more history,more archeticture but america isn't bad either,despite its obesity,racial issues and police brutality.america is still nice.
Quote:
Japanese definitely healthier,smarter and friendlier while americans are more powerful,rich and world-controlling
Edit:though I never been to Japan that is based on what I see though.
Quote:
if so why do Japan have such a high life expectancy.also japs are friedly
"America ain't bad"oh pal with obesity gang violence gun crimes homophobicness and Racism yes it is bad.
I hate to tell ya bro but Japan wouldn't let in all you Mexicans like the US does. Go there and see how much you are welcomed. Calling America a racist country is a good one you haven't seen anything trust me.

Last edited by Rozenn; 12-03-2014 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: Orphaned

Old 12-02-2014, 09:13 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,512,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
I prefer japanese culture.... American culture to me places too much importance on consumerism and money.

Japanese culture on the other hand is based on values, tradition, you go to japan and you're in a new world to discover, you go to America and yes is beautiful but that beauty is tainted with way too many issues with guns, race, abusive police, religion, immigration and so on.

I also like the walkability of japanese cities, u can go anywhere by bike, bus, tram, train.... in America you need a car to go most places which is pretty isolating.

This.

So true.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:04 PM

978 posts, read 1,088,253 times
i watch a lot of japanese/ korean movies, play japanese games and listen to japanese music.

i guess you could say im a weeboo

american cultur is more getto to me and not too interesting

Old 12-02-2014, 05:14 PM

2,652 posts, read 3,407,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drum bro View Post
i watch a lot of japanese/ korean movies, play japanese games and listen to japanese music.

i guess you could say im a weeboo

american cultur is more getto to me and not too interesting
According to the users from Urban Dictionary

Quote:
Weeaboo: "Someone who is obsessed with Japan/Japanese Culture/Anime, etc. and attempts to act as if they were Japanese, even though they're far from it... Synonym of wapanese."
Urban Dictionary: Weeaboo

Quote:
“Wapanese” are decidedly caucasian individuals who, by means of thoroughly warped postmodern acculturation processes, have come to the decision that it is in their best interest to act as if they were denizens of the nation of Japan."
Urban Dictionary: Wapanese

Those definitions are both hilarious and interesting LOL nice to learn a new word!

Old 12-02-2014, 08:31 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,791,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post

Japanese people can be some of the most materialistic people you will ever meet. They are mass consumerists, get obsessive about fashion, brands, trends and money.

Also, some of the values, traditions, etc...are great, but many are silly and stifling. Even Japanese people complain about them. I had a friend who never wanted to return to Japan because she hated all of those traditional societal rules.

I think most of the people who make these comments have not been around many Japanese people in their life. I grew up with many Japanese friends, had a Japanese boyfriend for years, and practice a Japanese form of Buddhism.

There are great things and not so great things about Japanese culture, just like there are with American culture.

Last edited by rosa surf; 12-02-2014 at 08:42 PM..

Old 12-02-2014, 08:38 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,791,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Japan is a very interesting country, and I'm Japanophile-lite, but I pick the US. The US has a much better work-life balance than Japan, and that's saying a lot, because I think US work-life balance kinda sucks. Plus, in Japan, you'll NEVER be "one of them" no matter how hard you try. If they don't accept their overseas diaspora as "one of them", how do foreigners expect they will roll out the welcome mat for them if they can speak Japanese? Japan isn't as bad as Korea, but it's still pretty bad. They're much worse than the French. If there's one thing I noticed about people who are obsessed about Japan, are that hardcore Japanophiles usually have not lived outside their own culture for any extended period of time. I have, I know what it's like for people to not accept you as one of them.

I hate to break it to you, but Japanese don't really like people who are dark skinned. They tolerate other East Asians like from Taiwan, China, and Korea, but they just tolerate them, and mostly on the basis of cultural similarity. They only foreigners they like/admire are European looking people. They look down on non-white Latinos, blacks, and southern Asians.
I think they look down more on Southeast Asians, and especially Koreans for some reason.

I'm a dark-skinned Mexican-American and have hung around Japanese people since childhood. I also had a Japanese boyfriend for years- they seem to love cultures that are vibrant and very different from theirs, even if the people from those cultures are 'dark skinned.' I don't agree that they have a generalized, racist attitude towards all dark-skinned people. Their racism is very particular.

One of my best friends is also a dark-skinned Mexican-American who lived in Japan for 15 years. She never had problems with racism, on the contrary. People were fascinated with her bi-cultural heritage. She came back to the US because she was tired of the insane work culture there (working 7am-9 or 10pm) but she considers herself half Japanese now. She is married to a Japanese man and he loves Mexican culture. They have their children in an English/Spanish immersion program, and the kids learn Japanese at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World