Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2015, 09:07 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,540,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by violent by design View Post
I'm assuming writing checks at a grocery store is a regional thing, as I've never seen anyone do that in New York before. But I don't understand how writing checks at a store makes someone undeveloped.
Slow adaption to technology.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:22 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,121,823 times
undeveloped people and the US doesn't make sudden changes like other countries do.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:24 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,108,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
You can get it at a shop in Melbourne called Chokolait hub (I had to look for the receipt because I had forgotten the name), they sell different kinds of pavlovas, I personally like acid and sweet so I picked one with berries and passion fruit on it.
ah. I think Chokolait only sell a chocolate variation, which IMO is not a real pavlova....I am still not understanding the acidity, when a pavlova is essentially eggwhites and a lot of sugar. Even if it had passionfruit on it.

Quote:
As far as the suburban comment, I have a hard time living in cities where private transportation is a must because public one is not efficient and you have to drive places (this happens to me a lot in America), and in Sydney I had that issue, it felt too widespread, sprawling is the word with a large amount of cookie cutter homes and pretty much like in America... ? of course I visited Darling harbour (it is the place you want to see the most in Sydney)
where did you see cookie cutter homes?
heh. Darling Harbour is pretty damn boring, IMO

Quote:
but I didnt stay there, I stayed at a suburb called Haberfield with a local friend and I arrived there with the idea that since it's only 9kms away from the CBD I would have easy quick access into town, only to find out buses are rare and it takes almost an hour to get into town. 9 KM= 1 hour (I could had cycled!)
so yeah it was very suburban to me
perhaps I am used to subways, metros taking you anywhere in the city in a matter of minutes!

I must admit I liked Melbourne a lot more!
lol, you stayed in a suburb, thats why it felt suburban. Sydney traffic can make things quite slow, but I'm surprised at a 1 hour journey, that should take 30 minutes max.

to be honest, I'm not really believing you. Your descriptions are vague and stereotypical.

You have jumped from describing Australia as all desert full of snakes, sheep and emptiness to cookie-cutter homes feeling very American. Which one is it?

Quote:
I agree with you

I lived in the Us for several years and the average American is oblivious about the UK, other than stupid stereotypical crap like they have a queen (many don't even know her name), james bond, spice girls and the beattles.... to be brutally honest, I think the average American knows next to nothing about the UK!

in the UK on the other hand they have this weird obsession with America, you watch BBC or Itv and they yap constantly on the media about the special relationship with america, America this, America that, America the other.... while Americans don't even talk about the UK on their media (other than gossip about the royal wedding) I find ironic many Americans recognize the queen but just as many don't even know her name!!!

PLondon might say what she wants, but I lived in America and know how it is over there... many don't even know wales and england and scotland are the UK and don't even care to know!

I agree also with the American who said in an earlier post that he doesnt see the average joe in the US as anglo, they are really not, bet you most of them don't even know what that is!

I think its just the UK trying to ride to tail of success of the 21st century super power and being a bit delusional about where it stands as a nation on the world these days!
you seem to be celebrating ignorance here. Again, stereotypes ..... I think my American friends would almost be offended by the way you portray their so called ignorance.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:30 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,838,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
ah. I think Chokolait only sell a chocolate variation, which IMO is not a real pavlova....I am still not understanding the acidity, when a pavlova is essentially eggwhites and a lot of sugar. Even if it had passionfruit on it.

where did you see cookie cutter homes?
heh. Darling Harbour is pretty damn boring, IMO

lol, you stayed in a suburb, thats why it felt suburban. Sydney traffic can make things quite slow, but I'm surprised at a 1 hour journey, that should take 30 minutes max.

to be honest, I'm not really believing you. Your descriptions are vague and stereotypical.

You have jumped from describing Australia as all desert full of snakes, sheep and emptiness to cookie-cutter homes feeling very American. Which one is it?

you seem to be celebrating ignorance here. Again, stereotypes ..... I think my American friends would almost be offended by the way you portray their so called ignorance.
love its ok, you don't have to believe me, BTW Australia does feel like America in many ways which is a good thing

Pavlova has TONS of variations, it all depends on the ingredients you want to use

Australia felt very suburban and it is in fact one of the most suburban nations on the planet, i don't know what you're trying to argue here

I don't think Americans care too much about know the ins and outs of the UK, not ignorant just focused on other priorities I guess... (taxes, their 401k, pay car notes, job etc.) I lived there 8 years! But read the post I was replying to, he is a brit in America and he confirms my claim!

Old 01-15-2015, 03:36 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,108,380 times
Quote:
love its ok, you don't have to believe me, BTW Australia does feel like America in many ways

Pavlova has TONS of variations, it all depends on the ingredients you want to use

Australia felt very suburban and it is in fact one of the most suburban nations on the planet, i don't know what you're trying to argue here

I don't think Americans care too much about know the ins and outs of the UK, not ignorant just focused on other priorities I guess... (taxes, their 401k, pay car notes, job etc.) I lived there 8 years! But read the post I was replying to, he is a brit in America and he confirms it!
I know it does. Its just not a dessert one sees very often in a store /cafe. I would almost believe you googled a recipe and noted that there is vinegar in it, and thought it would make it acidic. It doesn't.

Right, so now we're suburban. You never mentioned where you saw the cookie-cutter homes. I think you just try to get a rise out of people.

No, I said you're portraying Americans to be ignorant.

But carry on....

Old 01-15-2015, 08:08 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Massive over-generalisation of everything all the time. Its annoying.
The whole Love thing - isn't winning ya over eh lol...

Old 01-16-2015, 02:08 AM

11,651 posts, read 12,943,861 times
Quote:
sydney to me felt meh, nothing special... the area around the opera house is nice but other than that it was kinda generic, bondi was nice though.
There's more to Sydney than its harbour and opera house (I take it you only visited those two attractions?). You should've tried walking in its flashy CBD area (Central Sydney) and up northwest at the rather artsy-looking district called The Rocks.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:17 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,521,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violent by design View Post
It's really not. I think British people have this odd interpretation that UK culture heavily affects American culture, and I have a gut feeling that a lot of it stems with the royal wedding that semi-recently happened.

While British culture does affect American culture more than most countries (perhaps the most), Americans are still largely oblivious to the island like they are rest of the world. Americans are stuck inside a snow globe, the average American really couldn't tell you anything about Britain, I would wager most Americans don't understand what The United Kingdom/Great Britain/England really is, to an American it's all the same ****. Americans don't know much about British art or customs for the most part.

Many Americans do not even know who Queen Elizabeth is (though she is overall famous in the United States). Other than that, Americans know Britain for a few movie stars (the ones who speak in their British accents, many Americans are clueless that guys like Christian Bale are from Europe), a few movies here and there like Bond, Hot Fuzz & Monty Python stuff. Even things like "The Office" which is a British TV, is not seen as a British show in the United States (most do not know the show was originally British), due to how popular the American adaption was in our country. I would wager the same goes for any other British adaptions Americans took.

As for American culture on the Brits? Certainly, I don't know why, but you guys love some of our ****ty TV and crappy movies. I'm British myself and got plenty of British friends, they all tell me the same crap, people over there love our stupid ****, then again, I guess a lot of the world does. Though I am referring to England primarily, don't have enough contact with the Scots and Welsh to make a generalization.

One thing I did overlook is some of the pop music that comes from the isles. Certainly, British musicians have impacted America heavily, though more so in the past than in the present (I think One Direction is the only one I can think of, they're certainly no Rolling Stones though).
Being oblivious to influence does not mean the influence doesn't exist.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:38 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,247,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Being oblivious to influence does not mean the influence doesn't exist.
Absolutely!

I would also question this poster as being British, considering he refers to US shows and movies as "our": As for American culture on the Brits? Certainly, I don't know why, but you guys love some of our ****ty TV and crappy movies

I also think most Americans ARE intelligent enough to realise that "Christian Bale" is British, among others. I've visited the States about ten times in the last fifteen years or so (mostly Texas, as my in-laws are there) and find most of the people I've met are fascinated and quite knowledgeable about the UK and the culture it projects. I've even been to a club in Houston where the playlist is primarily 80's British alternative/synth-pop which was pretty cool! Obviously the likes of Irene want to paint Americans as being ignorant because it serves her argument and her tiresome Brit-bashing.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:04 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,377,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
There's more to Sydney than its harbour and opera house (I take it you only visited those two attractions?). You should've tried walking in its flashy CBD area (Central Sydney) and up northwest at the rather artsy-looking district called The Rocks.
I bet she never visited Australia...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.