Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most disappointing city to visit
Los Angeles 28 22.05%
New York City 16 12.60%
Washington DC 7 5.51%
Chicago 6 4.72%
Miami 16 12.60%
Philadelphia 14 11.02%
Boston 2 1.57%
Seattle 17 13.39%
New Orleans 12 9.45%
San Francisco 9 7.09%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 08:35 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,297,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I agree, Chicago looks run down except for downtown, which is actually pretty nice. And it is very cold and too expensive for what it has to offer.
What is your experience with Chicago to make that conclusion? Most of Chicago's north side is not run down (especially the areas close to the lake).

As for expensive, I think most people would probably say the opposite -- Chicago is actually remarkably affordable for what it has to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 08:59 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
Having been stationed in Germany for two years, I observed that cities in Germany and the Netherlands tend to be more pristine than American cities. Not so much true with France. I suspect some of that is due to culture. Another reason could be that Holland and Germany had a lot of redevelopment after WWII. So, many areas of those two countries are newer than inner city Chicago and NYC.

As for Detroit, I've always had a good time there. It has a great geographic location, too, with access to the Great Lakes and Canada.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:05 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nola101 View Post
not really. Nyc is a lot more gentrified and affluent than chicago, and doesn't have abandoned ghettos like chicago.

There are obviously bad areas in nyc, like in every city on earth, but they don't look similar to the slums in chicago.

And lincoln park is basically the nicest neighborhood in chicago. Obviously lincoln park isn't a slum.
NOLA stikes again to give chicago her slights......

Old 12-15-2014, 10:12 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I agree, Chicago looks run down except for downtown, which is actually pretty nice. And it is very cold and too expensive for what it has to offer.
Chicago is full of vibrant neighborhoods .. these 1920s example AMERICAN Craftsman style Bungalows in a few styles are virtually half the city⤵

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9380...pE8tP60DhA!2e0

Some of the 50s 60s Mid-century varieties ⤵

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9714...415qsfZ4kQ!2e0

Chicago after all is the "Most American City".

Old 12-28-2014, 08:43 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Did you REALLY look at the video you posted a link to?Many of these house were under construction or being renovated
This is why you have to visit a place to understand the scope of what you see in pictures.There are several things wrong with that video you posted:

1)Its NOT Vine City.That English Avenue and several different neighbhoods and streets. and English AVEworst neighborhood in Atlanta and it is adjacent to Vine City.
I know this because I lived there for 9 years and owned rental properties in Vine City.
The city has steepped up efforts to razed many of the properties and I know for a fact some of those places in that video are not there anymore.

2)Much of what you showed is snippets from more that one neighborhood.
Anyone will tell you that in Atlanta you can be in the hood and within few minuties you are in a nice area.It can change street by street.

3)There is urban renewal happening all over the city including the pooerer areas.Unlike Detroit or Flint there is very little at best.
If you have ever been to Detroit or Flint you would see just consecutive blocks of just empty burned out houses with no people around.Just vacant except crackhead,prositutues and drug dealers.
That video you showed is from different communities on one side of town.Its not "downtown".

In Detroit is not just neighborhoods decaying,its parts of the core that is pervasive.

What is hard to see from the video is that many of those boarded up house are NEW or renovated properties but because it is a high crime area,they get vandalized amd loooted.I know this becaue I bought a new house and when I moved out before selling it,I boaded it up.

So you can post videos and look at Google maps all day but unless you have been to these places you have no idea.
Your argument was that Atlanta has as much as other cities you mentioned
Ridiculous and obvious you have never been
ts so misleading and just wrong.
Are you typing from a phone afonega? I'm asking because I see a few run-on sentences and misspellings. I'm not petty but they are noticeable lol

Old 12-31-2014, 12:14 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,324,274 times
Could people upvoting new york speak out on what they found disappointing about it?

Old 12-31-2014, 01:05 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
Could people upvoting new york speak out on what they found disappointing about it?
Calling New York disappointing is just plain ridiculous!

Old 12-31-2014, 01:18 AM

159 posts, read 177,486 times
Not always if you're talking expectations vs reality.

Maybe if you come from smalltown america, NYC will blow you away but here we're talking people coming from cities around the world that are just as or more impressive. Add to that the amount of mad hype and tourism NY gets. It's just basic math that many are gonna get disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Calling New York disappointing is just plain ridiculous!

Old 12-31-2014, 01:28 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,324,274 times
Maybe I should have phrased the question this way: What about New York would make it seem very disappointing from the point of view of an international traveller?

Old 12-31-2014, 01:41 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUMBONyc View Post
Not always if you're talking expectations vs reality.

Maybe if you come from smalltown america, NYC will blow you away but here we're talking people coming from cities around the world that are just as or more impressive.
Such as where?

I can't offhand think of a city in the world that would be clearly overall be more impressive than NYC.

There are two or three cities that might be competitive with NYC, but I can't think of one that clearly tops it.

And I would think non-Americans would be more impressed with NYC than Americans. Americans tend to be anti-urban, so probably sometimes think "ew, buildings and density and people", but in most of the world, this is the norm, so people wouldn't be negative about urbanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World