Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 01:31 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Nope, it does not. Your point is well made and I can see what you mean. German is rather similar too. The phrase "Ich muss den Berg zu besteigen" is I must climb the mountain in standard German. In Bavaria that phrase is "I mus aufi das berg".
Technically, the Standard German sentence of yours is a very formal way to say that. It's more like:

Standard: Ich muss auf den Berg.
Bav.: I muaß auffi am Beag.

or

Standard: Ich muss den Berg besteigen
Bav.: I muaß den Beag b'steign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 05:37 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,526,999 times
In Brazil, we know from which region is the man when he opens the mouth - although, for example, the accents of the northeastern states sound all the same for someone from the south. However, all brazilians can understand each other without any problem. As for Portugal, we note that is easier to understand those from the southern areas than those from the northern ones, especially in the region of Trás-os-Montes. In fact, it's easier to understand Spanish than the Portuguese spoken in that region. The Portuguese spoken in Angola sounds too european for brazilian ears and too brazilian for portuguese ears.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:33 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Technically, the Standard German sentence of yours is a very formal way to say that. It's more like:

Standard: Ich muss auf den Berg.
Bav.: I muaß auffi am Beag.

or

Standard: Ich muss den Berg besteigen
Bav.: I muaß den Beag b'steign.
Thanks. Won't argue with a native speaker

Old 12-23-2014, 02:50 AM

11 posts, read 14,019 times
In Slovenia, accents vary from village to village. There are 7 main groups of dialects, which then go to around 50 subgroups and then those go to even smaller subgroups. Villages only 5km or less apart can have different accents. It's even more distinct in the cities. Celje for example, has a completely different accent than, let's say, Velenje, which is only 25km away or Trbovlje, which is 35km away. The NE part next to Hungarian border, practicly speaks it's own language, heavily influenced by Hungarian and Croatian. I believe people from NE part and people from the western part next to Italy, don't understand each other AT ALL when speaking in accents. Western part of the country has very Italian sounding accents and some northern parts, specificaly Carinthia sound German. Slovenians accross the border in Resia valley, Italy, have a very distinct dialect which is almost a new language on it's own. It's very easy to know which part of, not only the country, but region, someone is from when they start to speak.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:13 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,020,583 times
in bulgaria there are only 2 accents it seems. One is the "hard" western accent of the capital city - sofia- and the other is the "soft"/russian sounding of eastern/southern bulgaria. In those areas people pronounce "e" as "ye" and "zh" as "zhhh". So the bulgarian word for example: "zhestoko" is pronounced as written by people from the capital but elsewhere is usually "zhhhistoko". so on...

Old 12-23-2014, 03:07 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,756,796 times
You should try China. There are 1000 mutually unintelligible "Chinese dialects".

Old 12-23-2014, 04:30 PM

657 posts, read 802,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
You should try China. There are 1000 mutually unintelligible "Chinese dialects".
Having a billion people, that doesn't suprise me.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:46 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,756,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
Having a billion people, that doesn't suprise me.
It's smaller than Russia, Canada, and the US though. Excluding Tibet, xinjiang, Inner Mongolia... it's probably smaller than Australia too.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:08 AM

1,446 posts, read 1,955,488 times
There are 6 main dialects for Swedish, and not all of them have that many differences, just pronunciation and vocabulary, especially with the southern Swedish dialect.
Dialect map of the main ones

Dark blue: Norrland dialect
Red: Finnish Swedish dialect
Pink: Svealand dialect
Green: Götaland dialect
Gold: Southern Swedish dialect/Scanian
Brown: Gotland dialect

Of course these can then be further split up into local dialects, but the differences won't be too large. Here's a site where you can hear most of the dialects in certain towns and cities in Sweden and Finland. Snabbmeny
Click on a town or region then pick the gender

Old 12-27-2014, 07:12 AM

2,467 posts, read 2,621,260 times
European Portuguese has at least 6 quite distinct accents (for a portuguese person at least), the most distinct from the standard one ( central coastal, Coimbra to Lisbon area) is the one from the islands of the Azores, specially from São Miguel island

These are the 4 main ones from the mainland, plus the one from Madeira and one from Azores, the brown one is the most standard (spoken by tv newcasters, etc...), the beige one is more closed and the ones from the north have more open vowels, light blue one sounds closer to galician, most people pronounce V as B there.

Azores accent

Standard, from Lisbon

northern one, from Braga

---------------------------------------------------------------

European and Brazilian Portuguese in the same song

Last edited by tarzan_taborda; 12-27-2014 at 07:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World