Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 10:42 AM

349 posts, read 488,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Mexico. Philippines just doesn't interest me at all.

As for food...is there any famous Filipino cuisine? I've never seen any Filipino restaurant here.
Despite the number of Filipinos here there are hardly any pinoy restaurants. I've had the food maybe once or twice. It was very salty, and lacks the spices of most other South-East Asian cuisines. I'm sure it has some good food, though, sadly just so far to find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 11:06 AM

722 posts, read 1,327,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeeks View Post
Despite the number of Filipinos here there are hardly any pinoy restaurants. I've had the food maybe once or twice. It was very salty, and lacks the spices of most other South-East Asian cuisines. I'm sure it has some good food, though, sadly just so far to find.
I do eat Filipino food regularly since it's easily available in California, I do notice the food is kind of salty and vinegary and kind of sour

lots of stews, soups, fried fish, Ukoy shrimp fritters, lumpia rolls, Spanish pastery / breads , pancit noodle dishes, Chinese style buns with meat inside

most of the food is pre made and served cafeteria style

I like it a lot, but some people probably wouldnt like it compared to other asian cuisines.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:06 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,392,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Isn't the Philippines known for being something like the only country with terrible food in all of East Asia?

Mexican food is impressive, but in terms of beaches I don't know which is better. I was kind of disappointed with Mexico's Caribbean coast to be honest. Not the water, but the landscape is so boring and flat. I've never been to the Pacific side, but people always rave about it, specifically Puerto Escondido, Huatulco, Zipolite...
Filipino food may be an acquired taste for some. However, to say that "it's the only country with terrible food in all of SE Asia" is a gross exaggeration.

You may have a change of opinion should you ever taste such dishes like kare-kare, laing, adobo, ampalaya, lechón, empanadas, lugao, the various seafood dishes, and much much more.

I am not Filipino but most definitely have an appreciation for its diverse cuisine.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:34 PM

10,638 posts, read 16,017,724 times
Quote:
Filipino has the worst food in Asia
Worse than Kyrgyz, Kazakh, Mongolian, Siberian and North Korean food?

Old 06-12-2015, 12:36 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,201,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Worse than Kyrgyz, Kazakh, Mongolian, Siberian and North Korean food?
That comment comes from someone who hasn't been to the Philippines, and refuses to acknowledge that things like lechon are Filipino dishes. He uses Jollibee (the Philippine equivalent of McDonald's or KFC, as it primarily serves hamburgers and fried chicken) as the basis for his contempt against Philippine cuisine. I am not saying Filipino food is better than Mexican food, especially if we are talking from the general American perspective, but I would certainly take what this guy says about Philippine cuisine with a grain of salt.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:53 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,201,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Mexico. Philippines just doesn't interest me at all.

As for food...is there any famous Filipino cuisine? I've never seen any Filipino restaurant here.
The most well-known Filipino dishes that are most often sought after by overseas Filipinos are lechon (roast pig), kare-kare, crispy pata (fried pork leg) and sisig. The most well-known Filipino food that are sought after by a few but is popular to "shock" foreigners are balut (fertilized duck egg) and dinuguan (pig blood soup).

For everyday food, Filipinos eat fried chicken and lumpia a lot. Certainly both can easily be found in Taiwan. Lumpia is spring roll and if you speak Taiwanese, you know where it originated from.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:18 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,739,684 times
Quote:
Definitely Mexico.

Pros for Mexico:

1. More exotic culture (native Aztec/Mayan mixed with Spanish).

- as a result more diverse and interesting architecture. Aztec and Mayan ruins as well as Spanish colonial architecture and modernist architecture.

2. More spectacular and diverse scenery (mountains, volcanoes, deserts, rainforests, beaches)

3. Better food - Filipino has the worst food in Asia

4. More interesting cities.

Pros for the Philippines.

1. Safer, but still dangerous by SEA standards.

2. Greater prevalence of English.

3. Closer to home and cheaper

I still plan to visit both, but Mexico definitely fascinates me/interests me a lot more. I know SEA a lot better than the Americans, and the Phils would attract me more for the novelty of an Asian Catholic country, beaches, wildlife, but you can get beaches and that in Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand too, though the Philippines is more natural than mainland SEA, and similar to Indonesia.
I agree with most of this but I dont see how Mexican culture is more exotic. The Philippines is a mix of native Austronesian, Chinese, Spanish, and American influences, with some Indian and Arab influences as well. Since you're Malaysian, imagine if Borneo had been taken over by the Spanish and then the Americans. That's essentially how the Philippines is. I'd say it's a pretty interesting mix, even if there aren't any ancient ruins. I will say, the enduring American influence makes it less interesting. You see American influence all over the world, so when you also see it all over the Philippines, it's just annoying. I don't want to go to a foreign country and hear American pop music everywhere

Old 06-12-2015, 01:45 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,189,916 times
Philippines.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:02 PM

When I get a chance I will try more Filipino dishes.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
That comment comes from someone who hasn't been to the Philippines, and refuses to acknowledge that things like lechon are Filipino dishes. He uses Jollibee (the Philippine equivalent of McDonald's or KFC, as it primarily serves hamburgers and fried chicken) as the basis for his contempt against Philippine cuisine. I am not saying Filipino food is better than Mexican food, especially if we are talking from the general American perspective, but I would certainly take what this guy says about Philippine cuisine with a grain of salt.
Roasted pig is hardly unique Filipino...it's found throughout the Pacific, parts of Indonesia, and other parts of Asia. It's not just me, most everyone agrees it is the poor one out in terms of Asian cuisine. My friend recently went and said it was so bad they ate western food most of the time, and she's one to always try local cuisine. My parents said the same when they went, so there must be something to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World