Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 04:13 AM

3,636 posts, read 10,706,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeeks View Post
^ In some ways, yes, Filipinos have kept some things that Mexicans have not. The difference is that the Phils wasn't a settler colony like Mexico. Most Mexicans have significant Spanish and other European ancestry, while most Filipinos do not. None of the Asian colonies were settler colonies like the Americas, Australia.etc. Still, due to being more tribal they didn't have the more ancient cultures of Indochina or Burma.
We're comparing Mexico and the Philippines. You said that Mexican culture seemed more exotic because they have masks and stuff. There are literally hundreds of Filipino festivals with masks and stuff. There are all kinds of festivals that celebrate indigenous culture. There are still tribes that have little contact with the outside world. The point you're trying to make but not saying is that Mexico and Indochina have ancient ruins and the Philippines doesnt. That's a fact, just state it. But the cultures of the Philippines are just as ancient, if not more ancient than the ones in Mexico and Indochina, they just dont have ancient ruins. If you choose Mexico for the ancient ruins, just say that. "Exotic" is really subjective, and IMO the Philippines is more exotic.

Last edited by Smtchll; 06-14-2015 at 04:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 04:41 AM

349 posts, read 486,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
I know all those dishes and have tried almost all of them. But if you use theunbrainwashed's logic, most of those dishes originated in Malaysia and up to this time, both Singapore and Malaysia still have basically the same cuisine. So by his logic, not mine, most of these are only Malaysian dishes, not Singaporean; rendang is Indonesian, hor fun is actually Chinese (the name has not changed and the dish in China is still called hor fun), etc.

Did I even insist that Philippine cuisine is superior in any way here? I am just saying that you cannot declare it the worst if you don't know much about it, the same way I am not going to say that Mongolian or Bangladeshi cuisine are the worst in Asia because I haven't been to either countries. I, for one, do not like Indian food, and that is the worse for me compared to Filipino food. Having visited two cities in India and various Indian restaurants in several countries, I just do not like it. So for me, that is worse than Filipino food. I am sure many do not agree with me, but that is my preference and I am not writing in message boards saying Indian food is the worst in Asia because I haven't been to all countries in Asia. There are 100 million Filipinos and I am sure if just based on numbers alone, Filipino food cannot be voted worse than Mongolian food.
Well Singapore was basically part of Malaysia, it was part of the Straits Settlements which were sort of part of the colony of Malaya before the sultanates became the Federated states of Malaya/Malaysia.

Yes, it is subjective to a degree, but when most people agree on it, I'm just going by that. Sure a lot of people dislike Indian food too, but there seem a lot more people who love it than love pinoy food. Like I said, Australia actually has about 200,000 Filipinos (which would make it per capita about as Filipino as the US) yet I hardly ever see Filipino restaurants here. I think how much a food type is esteemed as something to do with it.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
We're comparing Mexico and the Philippines. You said that Mexican culture seemed more exotic because they have masks and stuff. There are literally hundreds of Filipino festivals with masks and stuff. There are all kinds of festivals that celebrate indigenous culture. There are still tribes that have little contact with the outside world. The point you're trying to make but not saying is that Mexico and Indochina have ancient ruins and the Philippines doesnt. That's a fact, just state it. But the cultures of the Philippines are just as ancient, if not more ancient than the ones in Mexico and Indochina, they just dont have ancient ruins. If you choose Mexico for the ancient ruins, just say that. "Exotic" is really subjective, and IMO the Philippines is more exotic.
Yes, well I mean the masks are sort of symbolic of the Aztec and Mayan - the pre-Columbian - culture that still permeates Mexican culture. It just seems exotic from my point of view, since it's not a part of the world I know much about.

That's true, I guess Filipino culture just seems to have retained less of that ancient culture, but that's just my perception, I may not be that correct. They seem similar to Taiwanese aborigines actually. And yeah, ancient ruins/unique culture is a big draw for Mexico vs the Philippines. I guess I mean more advanced civilisations like the Khmer, Champa, Nam Viet, Burmese, Javanese and Malay civilisations among others, while Indonesia and the Phils were more tribal.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:16 AM

3,284 posts, read 3,770,898 times
Quote:
Yes, well I mean the masks are sort of symbolic of the Aztec and Mayan - the pre-Columbian - culture that still permeates Mexican culture. It just seems exotic from my point of view, since it's not a part of the world I know much about.

That's true, I guess Filipino culture just seems to have retained less of that ancient culture, but that's just my perception, I may not be that correct. They seem similar to Taiwanese aborigines actually. And yeah, ancient ruins/unique culture is a big draw for Mexico vs the Philippines. I guess I mean more advanced civilisations like the Khmer, Champa, Nam Viet, Burmese, Javanese and Malay civilisations among others, while Indonesia and the Phils were more tribal.
You would love the Anthropological museum in Mexico City- you could spend a whole day there and see so much Aztec, Mayan and other indigenous relics. It is amazing. One of the best museums I have ever been to.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
You would love the Anthropological museum in Mexico City- you could spend a whole day there and see so much Aztec, Mayan and other indigenous relics. It is amazing. One of the best museums I have ever been to.
Yes i really want to go to Mexico...way way more than the Philippines, tbh.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:22 PM

3,636 posts, read 10,706,319 times
Quote:
Yes i really want to go to Mexico...way way more than the Philippines, tbh.
You should probably go to the Philippines though, because you talk about it a lot. Once you go, then you'll have more credibility when you talk about the Philippines.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:47 PM

60 posts, read 172,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
If you insist that only dishes CAME from that country are to be called X dish, then there's only very few dishes that can be called American as most are of European origin, and places which have shorter history as an independent country like Singapore will have zero dishes. Is there any dish that is left to be called Puerto Rican? Most have something similar in other places in the Caribbean or Latin America anyway. Most often, even called by the same Spanish name. Something that is unique to Filipinos? Well, I am sure that lechon in the Philippines are roasted differently from that of Puerto Rico or elsewhere. Am I supposed to list out all ingredients and roasting time and such to have to call it different? The tradition predates that of Spanish colonial times. Despite its common name with that of Spanish colonies, it has more in common with that of Bali, which is not influenced by Spain. Most of the other islands became Muslim, which is the reason why roast pig is no longer served in the rest of Southeast Asia. Philippine lechon, despite its name, actually did not originate from Spain. Same with Philippine adobo, which despite its name, is of indigenous origin. If you so insist, lechon also has an alternative indigenous name, it is called "inasal" where it is most popular in the Philippines.
Just rep'd you, GT, for definitively shutting down those two ignorant ethnocentrists TBW and GG/Postman/etc.

As for the thread title, it's ostensibly phrased to ask which of the two countries is better to visit for a culinary holiday, in which case Mexico wins by a large margin.

Nonetheless, it would seem that the most foreigner-friendly Filipino dishes are the desserts: taho, halo-halo, ube and macapuno ice cream, etc.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:52 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,770,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin Eistrup View Post
Just rep'd you, GT, for definitively shutting down those two ignorant ethnocentrists TBW and GG/Postman/etc.

As for the thread title, it's ostensibly phrased to ask which of the two countries is better to visit for a culinary holiday, in which case Mexico wins by a large margin.

Nonetheless, it would seem that the most foreigner-friendly Filipino dishes are the desserts: taho, halo-halo, ube and macapuno ice cream, etc.
Yes, filipino sweets are pretty good, I really like turron, cheese bread, pan de sal, and the breads filled with bright purple goodness(don't remember what it is called?)

Actually my mother prefers buying cakes/flan at Filipino bakeries.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:01 PM

722 posts, read 1,321,071 times
I prefer Filipino foods more than Mexican foods, because a lot of it is like asian fusion food

it all goes good with plain white rice, I would have no problem eating filipino foods everyday

I probably like over 90% of the dishes. Pancit Canton is just filipino chow mein, and other dishes like pork with long beans in salty fermented shrimp paste [Bagoong] is a copy of a Chinese style dish, they also eat lots of won ton style soup and noodles

I only like a few foods from Mexico, mostly just the basics like: tacos, tamales, menudo, burittos , tortas and I heard they really dont eat burittos that often in Mexican cuisine

Old 06-16-2015, 07:58 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,192,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin Eistrup View Post

Thanks! Philippine food actually got voted 2nd best in this CNN poll:
Which destination has the world's best food? - CNN.com
While food preference is very subjective, it certainly means that Philippine food is far from being the worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World