Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 01:20 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,234,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramercy View Post
Have you visited Russia before?
The right question. Take a trip to Moscow for a couple of weeks. Perhaps you immediately realize that life in such a place is not for you.

By the way, for example, I do not like Peter. There is very damp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Moscow is not a nice-looking city, is very polluted, low wages, and is dark and freezing half the year. It's also basically a dictatorship.
Moscow is very large and diverse city. Salaries in Moscow are quite large, but life requires a lot of money. Winter really dark and cold. No dictatorship. This is an exaggeration.

Old 12-09-2014, 01:30 AM

Of the benefits, Moscow fairly safe city. You will not be killed in the street, if you come to the wrong district. Ghetto does not exist in Russia. Of course, you can be robbed, as elsewhere in the world, but it's usually safe enough.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:42 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
I'd rather visit St Peterburg. Anyway, a friend of mine invited me to NYC last week (not been there since 1987!), but given the actual foreign policy of the US, I've decided not to go.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:01 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
I've lived in NYC and I'm currently living in Moscow so maybe I can speak a little as to how they compare with one another.

Both are huge cities. The center of Moscow is pretty nice but the "sleeping districts' can be a little depressing. Nothing but dreary, monstrous high-rises. I don't think anywhere approaches the intensity of Manhattan and, although Moscow can be considered an international city, there aren't any distinct ethnic districts. Not even a Chinatown. I miss that about NYC.

The Metro is pretty impressive and I'd say superior to the NYC Subway aside from the fact it shuts down at 1 am. You won't need a car. Bring warm shoes and clothes though. Even with a weak ruble clothing prices are outrageous here.

Figuring out Russian culture is still a work in progress for me. For the most part people are decent if not always overly friendly. You won't experience the gregariousness that is so common in NYC. On the other hand I think the likihood of getting into a confrontation with a random stranger is low. I 'pass' for Russian quite well apparently. So much so that I get stopped for directions almost daily. I know there can be issues for non-whites here, even central Asians who are as 'Russian' as Ivan Ivanovich. English is not surprisingly the most common second language here but it's still not as common as in many other countries. Learning a little bit of Russian language goes a long way but it is a very confusing language for a native English speaker.

This is a great city if you are into the arts, particularly high-brow stuff. There are dozens upon dozens of theatres and performing arts venues and several world class museums.

I've had locals respond incredulously when I've told them I like living in Moscow. Despite all that's happened it still has a lot going for it and experiencing Russian culture firsthand is pretty fascinating for someone who grew up at the tail end of the cold war.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:48 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,536,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Moscow is not a nice-looking city, is very polluted, low wages, and is dark and freezing half the year. It's also basically a dictatorship.

If you want to live in Russia (not sure why given all the other places on earth), then I would choose St. Petersburg, which is at least beautiful and is more affordable than Moscow.
Come on, this is such a boring and factually incorrect statement. I don't agree with a lot of things happening in Russia, or anywhere else for that matter, but the idea that living in Moscow would dramatically affect a foreigner's life in a negative way within months to years is kind of ridiculous. This would be a fantastic experience for the OP if it works out in some way. Also, I don't understand why Peter would be drastically different climatically, for wages, or being a dictatorship.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:12 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
The OP seems to be long gone.

I think Moscow is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World