Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 12:05 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,111,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
This is one Brit's perspective on the Australian accent and dialect: Becoming fluent in 'Australian' - Telegraph

So if we thought they spoke English in Australia, we were not quite right. Conversing with the locals is a tantalising mix of understanding, being thrown a curve-ball and quickly Googling a meaning. It is not necessarily a language we'd heard before, but one we're getting used to. But I've got to go now, I must prepare an avo for my brekkie, then try to catch the postie before I grab my cossie, as I can't go swimming in the nuddie. No worries?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 05:14 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,022,901 times
^ And don't forget when making a statement, to make sure the innovation goes up at the end as if you're asking a question.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:14 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
^ And don't forget when making a statement, to make sure the innovation goes up at the end as if you're asking a question.
Surely you mean "intonation?

Old 12-09-2014, 08:08 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,581,312 times
I think the American accent is mainly a mix of All the British accents and, most definitely, Irish, this also mixed with all the other accents around the world. The Canadian accent most certainly has a slight Scottishness no doot aboot it. Finally the Aussies and Kiwis most definitely have a more cockney sting to it, this mixed with other British accents... That's the mix up, and I don't think the American accent has diverted that far away from British accents considering many of the "white British and Irish" have been calling North America their home since like the 1600s during the good o' British rule!!.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:19 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,487,719 times
I don't think it is that drastic. I run into Brits and Australians all the time and never have a problem understanding them. Yeah, there are colloquialisms...but those happen by just travelling to different states. Then again, growing up in California you become accustom to a wide range of accents. Now for some of those southern backwoods (thinking Alabama here) accents in the states...I might actually need an interpreter. lol

Then there is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03iwAY4KlIU

Old 12-09-2014, 12:55 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,581,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
I don't think it is that drastic. I run into Brits and Australians all the time and never have a problem understanding them. Yeah, there are colloquialisms...but those happen by just travelling to different states. Then again, growing up in California you become accustom to a wide range of accents. Now for some of those southern backwoods (thinking Alabama here) accents in the states...I might actually need an interpreter. lol

Then there is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03iwAY4KlIU
Try this, might need to turn it up a little as the drama was from the early 80s or something... But I can genuinely understand those Alabama mountain people compared to these Geordie's (Newcastle accent)! HAHA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY4TT3VtR8o

Do any Americans, or anyone else for that matter, understand what the Dad and the kid are saying? Cus I shore hell don't!!!

Thought I'd show you this - Al Murray taking the mickey outa British accents that many can't understand: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX98LGnvc1E

Last edited by Jas182; 12-09-2014 at 01:26 PM..

Old 12-09-2014, 09:49 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
I could understand the Dad, but not the son. I got all of what the Dad said except for a few words and short phrases, The son sounded like he was speaking Danish. Like Danish, I can pick out a few words but most of it goes over my head :-)

Old 12-09-2014, 11:58 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,741,368 times
The US west coast valley accent is pretty similar to the way a lot of Aussies speak....

Old 12-10-2014, 12:21 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
I think the American accent is mainly a mix of All the British accents and, most definitely, Irish, this also mixed with all the other accents around the world. The Canadian accent most certainly has a slight Scottishness no doot aboot it. Finally the Aussies and Kiwis most definitely have a more cockney sting to it, this mixed with other British accents... That's the mix up, and I don't think the American accent has diverted that far away from British accents considering many of the "white British and Irish" have been calling North America their home since like the 1600s during the good o' British rule!!.
Maybe it's my Californian ears but I've never heard a Canadian pronounce those words like that.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:28 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,424,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Maybe it's my Californian ears but I've never heard a Canadian pronounce those words like that.
We don't. Newfies, yeah, they do, some of them. And folks from more remote areas of Northern Ontario. The rest of us, by a very large majority, do not.

I think some people from Europe don't really understand how large, and varied these two countries, and the people who live in them are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World