Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 05:09 AM

393 posts, read 345,380 times

Advertisements

Doesn't matter. Based on what I've studied on Russian history - I've learned that Russians can (as a society) survive anything. Think of the total economic collapse they had in the 1990s following the dissolution of the Soviet Union (as well as an additional currency crisis in 1998). And they're still here. Recession? Depression? Meh. I'm sure Russians will just shrug it off. They've been through horrific crime waves, financial meltdowns, dictatorships, etc.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not butt-kissing the Russians or anything like that, I'm not stupid - they have serious problems too. But here in America, we get all worked up for a relatively weak recession....? Let's not forget, that America's economy will collapse sooner or later. What then? Americans have never been through something like that before. It won't be pretty, that's for sure. Things will get interesting. This economic "rut" that we've been in for a few years now? That's nothing compared to what lies ahead. People need to be told, that there's s**t just down the road. I'm not a "doomer" or "prepper" by any means.....but just imagine the potential hyperinflation, massive spike in unemployment, and crime waves that we'll have to endure. Good thing the fertility rate is down.

America has a lot to learn from Russia. Like how to survive complete economic collapse. Russia was better "prepared" for such events....America (and Canada) are not organized in such a way. It's going to really suck. And I'm saying this as an American myself.

Check out this guy's blog if any of you get a chance. There's a lot of useful information regarding economic collapse, Russia and the United States in there. The blogger himself is Russian-American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 10:20 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,615,223 times
Re: 'Orlov's blog'.....

If this came out decades ago the name would automatially dump it in a file titled 'Russian political sci-fi'. Bu we are in different times and there of course is a 'benevolent' response to it and of course it is an opinion.

Does the United States have problems? Sure. Does the world have problems? Ditto. But it can't be denied that this great and powerful country throws itself into the fray and tries to solve the problems of the world and nations. It is a leader not a follower in spite of its perception around the world.

I'd think it can be said that in the main if the world became bleak and bleaker with the constant increase of 'autocratic' states (Russias, Chinas, North Koreas, ISIS etc etc she'd, with a few no doubt, would be one of the last bastions to fight against that autocracy. As Russia and China aggrandize themselves on their 'destiny' (and ignoring their citizens on rights btw) so does the US on its defense of 'democratic' traditions. That probably really is the key when all is said and done in the context of extending civilization for FREE peoples.

'

Old 01-10-2015, 01:50 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,526,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
You want to know in what direction the so-called enlightened Russian government is moving? Russia has just placed a driving ban on transgender people. How very enlightened of them.

Russia is moving backwards and the Russian people will sit on their collective backsides and say and do nothing. When the Berlin wall came down people thought that the Russian people would grow a spine and start questioning their governments policies, but they didn't, maybe it was to much for them. After all they were used to being told what to do and to keep their mouths shut, seems nothing has changed.
Yawn. As usual, you are quite ignorant of a subject.
So that you'd educate yourself a bit, I'll re-post something from History forum, without being entangled into the whole "Fall of the Soviet Union" thread.
So here it is for you, on a subject of "Russian people will sit on their collective backside and say and do nothing."

This is the destruction of Russian parliament backed by Western powers in 1993, after which the presidential power (given obviously to Yeltsin, who was supported by Washington) was significantly expanded, while the powers of the parliament ( and deputies) were significantly curtailed. This was precisely the kind of power that Yeltsin handed to Putin, and Russians are not going to argue with it any longer.
They'll stick with their "dictator" and in case you wonder why their parliament has been bombed at the first place - oh, it was a matter of inconvenience for IMF/World bank, because that parliament was voting for budget deficit of 25% - much more than Western bankers were willing to accept.
So as I've said - Russians are not going to argue too much now and will follow what their leader will tell them to do, in the same manner as they've followed Stalin many years ago in desperate situation. This unification under one banner proved to be salvation; it will be a case one more time again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epeN3-zxDjs#t=147

So what were you saying about the "ban on transgender people"?

Old 01-10-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temeku View Post
Doesn't matter. Based on what I've studied on Russian history - I've learned that Russians can (as a society) survive anything. Think of the total economic collapse they had in the 1990s following the dissolution of the Soviet Union (as well as an additional currency crisis in 1998). And they're still here. Recession? Depression? Meh. I'm sure Russians will just shrug it off. They've been through horrific crime waves, financial meltdowns, dictatorships, etc.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not butt-kissing the Russians or anything like that, I'm not stupid - they have serious problems too. But here in America, we get all worked up for a relatively weak recession....? Let's not forget, that America's economy will collapse sooner or later. What then? Americans have never been through something like that before. It won't be pretty, that's for sure. Things will get interesting. This economic "rut" that we've been in for a few years now? That's nothing compared to what lies ahead. People need to be told, that there's s**t just down the road. I'm not a "doomer" or "prepper" by any means.....but just imagine the potential hyperinflation, massive spike in unemployment, and crime waves that we'll have to endure. Good thing the fertility rate is down.

America has a lot to learn from Russia. Like how to survive complete economic collapse. Russia was better "prepared" for such events....America (and Canada) are not organized in such a way. It's going to really suck. And I'm saying this as an American myself.

Check out this guy's blog if any of you get a chance. There's a lot of useful information regarding economic collapse, Russia and the United States in there. The blogger himself is Russian-American.
I agree with your assessment that Russia (and Russians) are much better equipped to deal with cataclysmic events comparably to Americans, but I wouldn't trust too much to someone quoting N. Starikov as a source of information. ( I am talking about Orlov's blog.) Both Starikov and Kurginyan ( they are well-known contemporary "gurus" of Russian political science and history) sometimes pass the questionable reasoning/material as "science." And in case of Starikov in particular - his constant "hosannas" sung to Putin are troublesome ( for a true professional that he pretends to be.)

P.S. I do understand that you are not a "doomer" or a "prepper," but... there are some reasonable concerns expressed by you I think.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Re: 'Orlov's blog'.....

If this came out decades ago the name would automatially dump it in a file titled 'Russian political sci-fi'. Bu we are in different times and there of course is a 'benevolent' response to it and of course it is an opinion.

'
What "sci-fi" Travric? The only thing I can think of hearing "Orlov" is this -

Orlov Trotter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by erasure; 01-10-2015 at 03:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World