Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 06:40 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,169,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Few countries are as adept at pissing off their allies than the United States
USA! USA! USA! Yet another thing we're better at than everyone else!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 06:44 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
LOL - not all Americans but some.. Obama seems to be doing a great job of it

https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q=...ing+off+allies

Old 12-14-2014, 06:45 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,169,557 times
Quote:
I'm enjoying the low gas prices at the pumps as well! Having said that, I wouldn't get too comfortable with low oil prices... They most likely are not here to stay! As for the current low prices - its more to do with OPEC cutting back prod than what is happening in the U.S with shale - the U.S still can barely produce half of what they consume. Actually, Saudi Arabia and OPEC are trying to snuff out the shale industry in the U.S - its not like its some friendly partnership to hurt Russia..

Why low oil prices are unsustainable | Open Knowledge
Well it depends on who you listen to. There is a school of thought saying the US government asked the Saudis to do this as punishment for Ukraine, and it is willing to accept the consequences to its own oil industry. After all once the prices come back up new people will start exploiting American shake oil even if most of the companies do go out of business this time around. The Saudis have to know that.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:48 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
Where are your stats that the U.S no longer imports oil from Canada? I'll help you with a source - The U.S Energy Information Administration.. At no point have oil exports from Canada to the U.S decreased since Canada became a large producer of oil they have only increased and increased and increased!!
Sorry, I don't need help - but you apparently need help reading and understanding posts.

Re-read my post, learn the different between amount and %, learn the difference between oil and energy, and then get back to us. if you want to learn about U.S. energy needs, it might also help to consult actual data- the U.S. produces 86% of its own energy. Neither Canada nor Mexico, in terms of %, are significant contributors at this point.

That's in part, why the horrible Keystone pipeline will never be approved- it isn't needed, and would be an environmental nightmare.

Oh, and it might help to understand the difference between Russia, Saudi Arabia and Canada- they are different nations. The claim was that Russian and Saudi oil traditionally went to the U.S., and I stated that Canadian and Mexican oil traditionally went to the U.S., which is true, and which you seem to be arguing about, yet simultaneously agreeing with me.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Well it depends on who you listen to. There is a school of thought saying the US government asked the Saudis to do this as punishment for Ukraine, and it is willing to accept the consequences to its own oil industry. After all once the prices come back up new people will start exploiting American shake oil even if most of the companies do go out of business this time around. The Saudis have to know that.
I dunnnoooo a stretch but not beyond the realm of possibilities.. Anyway, as with any move there are winners and losers...

Old 12-14-2014, 06:49 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
Yet the funny thing is that the guy who made that statement is apparently a Canadian who just posted a bunch of Canada! Canada! Canada! propaganda, and was responding to someone who isn't even American. Ah, the irony...

Old 12-14-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Sorry, I don't need help - but you apparently need help reading and understanding posts.

Re-read my post, learn the different between amount and %, learn the difference between oil and energy, and then get back to us. if you want to learn about U.S. energy needs, it might also help to consult actual data- the U.S. produces 86% of its own energy. Neither Canada nor Mexico, in terms of %, are significant contributors at this point.

That's in part, why the horrible Keystone pipeline will never be approved- it isn't needed, and would be an environmental nightmare.

Oh, and it might help to understand the difference between Russia, Saudi Arabia and Canada- they are different nations. The claim was that Russian and Saudi oil traditionally went to the U.S., and I stated that Canadian and Mexican oil traditionally went to the U.S., which is true, and which you seem to be arguing about, yet simultaneously agreeing with me.
This is what you said quote end quote

"There is not one drop of Russian or Iranian oil used in the U.S. The fracking is used to gain energy independence, and pretty much only affects Canada and Mexico (the two nations formerly supplying large amounts of oil to U.S., but no longer, for the most part)."

Ohhh Bwoooy....Get back to us or get back to you lol..... Where do you get formerly supplying large amounts of Oil... As of September 2014 they are still supplying LARGE amounts of oil to the U.S especially Canada and month over month in increasing amounts.. As per my link that you probably didn't care to gander at... How can a country that is providing you with 21% of your imports of Oil not be a significant contributor.... So tell me what the heck am I missing here?????

As for Keystone.. Are you serious dude? The U.S already imports vast quantities of oil via pipeline.. They're all over the place... Any additional capacity required as has been the case is being transported using the more dangerous method of rail..

How the Keystone backlash gave a boost to oil sands exports by rail

Don't want Canadian Oil Nola? Become Amish lol! Really - people can whine and complain about the evils of oil all they want but until the world stops using it - well we are shooting ourselves in the foot and asking why are we getting shot..

Last edited by fusion2; 12-14-2014 at 07:08 PM..

Old 12-14-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Yet the funny thing is that the guy who made that statement is apparently a Canadian who just posted a bunch of Canada! Canada! Canada! propaganda, and was responding to someone who isn't even American. Ah, the irony...
How can it be Canada Canada Canada propaganda - the information regarding the amount of oil you import from Canada and other nations comes from the U.S Energy Information Administration

http://www.eia.gov/petroleum/imports/companylevel/

Seriously - any nation that trades with the U.S in large amounts should be supplied valium to deal... Cuban rum anyone???

Last edited by fusion2; 12-14-2014 at 07:21 PM..

Old 12-14-2014, 07:50 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,557,843 times
Quote:
As for Keystone.. Are you serious dude? The U.S already imports vast quantities of oil via pipeline.. They're all over the place... Any additional capacity required as has been the case is being transported using the more dangerous method of rail.
In all honesty I do wonder why the pipeline isn't being considered for rerouting options so it doesn't go right across the aquifer like it does. TransCanada sending a pipeline out east got complaints from Quebec about it going over water resources and they rerouted the pipeline. It seems to me if TransCanada wants to resolve the aquifer issue then just reroute the pipeline.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
In all honesty I do wonder why the pipeline isn't being considered for rerouting options so it doesn't go right across the aquifer like it does. TransCanada sending a pipeline out east got complaints from Quebec about it going over water resources and they rerouted the pipeline. It seems to me if TransCanada wants to resolve the aquifer issue then just reroute the pipeline.
I know that they have done several proposals to reroute - not sure what the latest one is and personally could care less.. I honestly don't think anyone cares about Keystone anymore including the Canadian government - its been what 5 years.. Time to move on.. and largely companies have 1) through existing pipeline capacity and 2) there is enough rail capacity to accomodate growth equivalent to Keystone anyway and even more- might blow away a few towns sans Lac-Megantic but hey - the pipeline was stopped woot!

I suspect if Canada really wants to move oil through a new pipeline it'll go east or west or both.. West to China would be alright - they always want oil and could give a r*ts behind where it comes from.. If Oil prices don't go down in two years I think both the Tar Sands and U.S shale will be hurting but I highly doubt cheap oil is here for the long run - just too much demand and growth around the world and a population that pretends to be concerned about the environent by and large without the willingness to actually change fossil fuel consumption meaningfully.. Keystone is largely a proxy - it makes people feel good to have quashed it but changes nothing.

Lets just hope there isn't some big middle east instability that will actually hamper supplies to N.A - I mean imagine if Darryl Hannah has to take a horse and buggy across the continent to protest in D.C because there hasn't been a reliable flow of oil in N.A and she can't fly anymore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World