Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 11:31 PM
 started this thread
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
From my personal experience:

Turkey and Canada: DARK blue; in both Istanbul and Quebec, even if we couldn't speak the language and they couldn't speak English, they'd be understanding about it and try their best to communicate anyway; the people were polite and helpful, but also reserved and not in your face

US: light blue; felt more comfortable in the North than the South (I doubt southerners are "mean", but I found them to be loud and outgoing, which can be off-putting if you're shy like I am.)

Pakistan: purple; nice enough, but don't speak English in the shops or else the shop owners will know you're a foreigner and try to rip you off :P

Greece: light-to-moderate red; got pickpocketed, almost got hit by a car, generally unsafe atmosphere, staff at airport were a little rude

Once again, though, these are only my limited experiences.
Can't believe if Turkey is really on the opposite side of xenophobic. Especially at the immediate interval of serious concern. The point of no return. Turkish language, and the communication patterns between any language must have just felt very welcoming to you.

If your experience was more than one year ago, there is undeniable suspicion the entire journey is going to not resemble the earlier encounters. With the country of Turkey.

Quebec on the other matter hasn't really altered that much in the past one decade compared to the other examples of the display.

Balkan area of Europe (Bulgaria, Greece, Macedonia, Albania, former Yugoslavian breakup republics up to Slovenia) is certainly the most traditional, and I am not very surprised Greece is at the not very welcoming end of the scale. Probably even worse at this stage. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...opo_fr.svg.png
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 08:32 AM

55 posts, read 50,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Can't believe if Turkey is really on the opposite side of xenophobic. Especially at the immediate interval of serious concern. The point of no return. Turkish language, and the communication patterns between any language must have just felt very welcoming to you.

If your experience was more than one year ago, there is undeniable suspicion the entire journey is going to not resemble the earlier encounters. With the country of Turkey.

Quebec on the other matter hasn't really altered that much in the past one decade compared to the other examples of the display.

Balkan area of Europe (Bulgaria, Greece, Macedonia, Albania, former Yugoslavian breakup republics up to Slovenia) is certainly the most traditional, and I am not very surprised Greece is at the not very welcoming end of the scale. Probably even worse at this stage. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...opo_fr.svg.png
I like Greece.

Romania though, surprised you don't consider it to be Balkan. It's a total Balkan culture that simply lacks the mountains whose name the term had borrowed.

Old 07-02-2016, 05:58 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times
I'll just post my opinions on countries I have been to based on my experiences.

US: Light Blue, I think we are mostly friendly, but there is a decent sized group of Americans who don't like foreigners or are not outgoing. But there is so much racial diversity, it's hard to imagine someone having too hard a time. And again, most Americans are fairly friendly.

Canada: Light blue, not much different from the US in friendliness. I met some friendly people and some very rude people, not different then the US.

China (mainland): Purple, most Chinese are very friendly to outsiders, but there can be tense moments when some Chinese person yells out racial slurs... But foreigners overall are treated very friendly and it's very easy to make friends.

El Salvador: Light blue, people are not very outgoing, but once you can get them to open up they are very friendly. I got invited to a lot of places, and similar to China the locals always seem to want to treat foreigners to meals or drinks.

Honduras: Light Blue, mostly the same as El Salvador. Perhaps a little more outgoing.

Mexico: Light Blue, again, Latin cultures from my experiences tend to be friendly and welcoming.

Italy: Light blue, People can be reserved until you get to know them, and then they can be the opposite of reserved and very fun to be around.

As far as government interaction goes, I've never had problems anywhere. In fact the police in Central America and Mexico are very friendly and helpful, same goes with China. Italian police basically didn't treat us differently, maybe just by looks they couldn't tell we were foreigners.

Old 07-05-2016, 04:55 PM
 started this thread
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilameit View Post
Romania though, surprised you don't consider it to be Balkan. It's a total Balkan culture that simply lacks the mountains whose name the term had borrowed.
Exactly Depending On The Region Of Romania To Qualify. Dobrogea beach land communities is the only area truly Balkan. Including according to the map. Approximately 5% to 7% of the entire nation is in the Dobrogea territory zone of the European region identification label. Especially feeling the ultimate sophistication of high Balkan energy around Eforie Nord Romania beach village with the extra magical Neo Brâncovenesc architecture buildings around with subtle original Ottoman empire influence when this area of Romania was belonging to Turkey(Similar to the history of the other Balkan affiliation countries of Southeast Europe), Romania Palace restaurant, and the authentic music concerts in the air resembling subtle Middle Eastern Turkish Romania sounds. Outside of Dobrogea, around 31% of Romania is actually mountainous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World