Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 03:50 AM

827 posts, read 631,339 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow,

I ask myself why Singapor is a so succeesfull and rich nation? They haven't any natural ressource but they get a very strong economy?

And which place will be like Singapor in the futur?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 09:51 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Singapore works for the same reason that a corporation works. Decisions of state are made by insiders, who are educated and knowledgeable and have a clear vision of goals. The ignorant self-destructive masses are not represented in policy, nor even given the right to be heard protesting.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:05 AM

1,327 posts, read 2,605,848 times
There are plenty countries where the so called "ignorant self-destructive masses" are represented and heard that are successful.
Switzerland is a perfect example of this.
I would prefer a state where the "ignorant self-destructive masses" are well educated to take the good decisions.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:17 AM

653 posts, read 743,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citoyen View Post
Hello fellow,

I ask myself why Singapor is a so succeesfull and rich nation? They haven't any natural ressource but they get a very strong economy?

And which place will be like Singapor in the futur?
1) Free Trade

2) Open embracing of Global MNCs; make sure MNCs want to set up shop here and employ people

3) Make sure the airport and sea port is great and can serve as regional hubs

4) Make sure the local population is educated in technical skills to be engineers, technicians, mechanics, logisticians - hence, the lower focus on humanities

Singapore is really a one-off case but if you are looking at purely an economical basis, I would say Dubai is a leading contender for the time being.

Old 12-28-2014, 02:39 PM

827 posts, read 631,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
There are plenty countries where the so called "ignorant self-destructive masses" are represented and heard that are successful.
Switzerland is a perfect example of this.
I would prefer a state where the "ignorant self-destructive masses" are well educated to take the good decisions.
Sorry but i really don't get your point

Old 12-28-2014, 04:23 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,605,848 times
My point is that according to jt88, Singapore is successful because it is not a full democracy, what I disagree.

Old 12-28-2014, 04:46 PM

173 posts, read 404,309 times
Singapore is a tax haven - a place where the rich go to escape taxation. Singapore is successful because of that, and it cannot work on a large scale anywhere. Tiny city-state....works perfectly.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:38 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,444,813 times
Btw as long as you overlook the undemocratic administration and don't criticize them, the rule of law of Singapore is really strong, so many incorporations put their Asian head quarters there.
Btw English is official over there, so it has this condition of being international.

Geography plays a big part as well, I think, Singapore is also an extremely important hob.

But since it's a city state with more than 6 million inhabitants, the gap between the rich and the poor is scary, and their(or say, our, as it's a problem which entire East and SE Asia share) working hours are pathetically long.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:47 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
My point is that according to jt88, Singapore is successful because it is not a full democracy, what I disagree.
Up to this point the people have supported pro growth policies. If they do give a party opposing this power things could come crashing down quickly.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:24 AM

653 posts, read 743,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Geography plays a big part as well, I think, Singapore is also an extremely important hob.
the role of geography is way overrated; penang and malacca are better situated as sea ports, in terms of air hub, Sri Lanka is actually better positioned to be a transit point between South Asia and Asian Pacific.

Considerable investment in construction and post-construction maintenance gave its edhe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World