Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 10:36 PM

531 posts, read 594,983 times

Advertisements

The OP hasn't defined what he/she means by backwards, so I will call the liberal progressive mentality backwards based on a reading of history.

What, for example, the Old Order Amish lack in technological progress and personal freedom (read: any excuse to be as morally obnoxious as possible), they are light years ahead in values that are severely found wanting in our divisive, terminally declining culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 11:15 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,310,013 times
As someone who spent about half of my life in Brazil and the other half here in the USA, I have to say, the Northern part of Brazil is incredibly backwards, I am talking about states like Para, Roraima, Rondonia and Acre.

You still have a lot of conflict between Native Brazilians(Indians), farmers and gold miners. Some of the miners illegally invade Indian reservations to mine on their lands, you still have a lot of land squatters and people who illegally cut timber on private land and Indian reservations.

Law enforcement is very inefficient in these places due to large and sparsely populated areas, so people still handle their rivalries like in the old days, if you **** some people off, they may put a hit on you. Not much different than the American West in the late 1800's

Old 01-05-2015, 11:17 PM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
In answer to the original question, in my experience I'd have say parts of the Ozarks in Missouri and Arkansas and parts of the American south--mostly isolated rural communities. I used to travel through those parts as part of my job. Internationally, I'd say rural Dominican Republic. I suspect these places are modernizing somewhat. Some homes will not have safe water or proper sewer or sanitary conditions but everyone will have a cell phone.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:11 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,840,285 times
Canada and middle America feel stuck in time, yes people have rights and internet and big cars and so on, but socially people are in the middle ages.... it feels so bizarre and isolated to be in oklahoma or anywhere in canada outside montreal or toronto.

you see no one on the street, everyone drives, life revolves around jobs and shopping malls and anything that is not from there always stands out

Old 01-06-2015, 06:44 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
Canada and middle America feel stuck in time, yes people have rights and internet and big cars and so on, but socially people are in the middle ages.... it feels so bizarre and isolated to be in oklahoma or anywhere in canada outside montreal or toronto.

you see no one on the street, everyone drives, life revolves around jobs and shopping malls and anything that is not from there always stands out
I know... just like the Middle Ages: everybody driving around in cars and going to the mall!

Old 01-06-2015, 07:22 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,840,285 times
its relative, to me living in some suburban city in the middle of nowhere with the shopping mall as the main cultural/entertainment option is kinda of backwards

i am sure there more backwards places but from what I've been to these are the ones that come to my mind

Old 01-06-2015, 07:46 AM

969 posts, read 825,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggin of Rum View Post
The OP hasn't defined what he/she means by backwards, so I will call the liberal progressive mentality backwards based on a reading of history.

What, for example, the Old Order Amish lack in technological progress and personal freedom (read: any excuse to be as morally obnoxious as possible), they are light years ahead in values that are severely found wanting in our divisive, terminally declining culture.
"When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic” – Dresden James

Liberalism is as good a proof you can get that all change is not progress.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:08 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
I'm just surprised that no none has mentioned Mississippi yet.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:18 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Well first you will have to defined backwards. Are we talking about pockets of countries, certain backwaters, or are we talking about the federal laws of the land and overall progressiveness of a country.

If it's the later, the US has struggled and has much more opposition to progressive matters.

Ratification of the ERA.

Federal laws protecting gays.

Where in Canada these things are a done deal.

Is the US on a global scale backwards? Of course not.
I just think that most western democracies are moving in a similar direction (at differing speeds) on most issues when it comes to laws and rights.

If you pick one (usually one that is dearer to your heart - gay rights for you for example) then it's easy to label one place as more backward.

For example, abortion is not criminalized in Canada but it is quite difficult to access the service in most of Atlantic Canada, and Canada is the only western country I think to not have authorized the use of the RU-486 pill, whereas it's legal even in the U.S. and has been for some time.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:25 AM

367 posts, read 409,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDominion View Post
"When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic” – Dresden James

Liberalism is as good a proof you can get that all change is not progress.
I agree but you can hardly call liberalism "well packaged". Someone would either have to be young (with a bad upbringing) or stupid, or both, to not see that it's playing the usual game of 90% good 10% lethal poison admixture. Liberals are inclined knee-jerk dismiss anyone who disagrees with them as either bigoted or extremist which means that these people are often predisposed to black and white thinking.

Last edited by MarineBlue; 01-06-2015 at 09:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World