Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 09:06 AM

969 posts, read 825,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineBlue View Post
I agree but you can hardly call liberalism "well packaged". You'd either have to be young (with a bad upbringing) or stupid, or both, to not see that it's playing the usual game of 90% good 10% lethal poison admixture. Liberals are inclined knee-jerk dismiss anyone who disagrees with them as either bigoted or extremist which means that these people are often predisposed to black and white thinking.

What better way to bamboozle a generation than take things anyone of sound mind would agree with, such as respect for others, generosity, kindness and compassion, and alter these ideas in subtle ways with a view to levering a harmful social agenda? I would say it's pretty effective ... Just not quite effective enough to fool everyone. Far from it.

FYI I would consider myself young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 09:13 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Definitely Tucson. Most backward, economically depressed, ugly neighborhoods I have ever seen. Properties that are not kept up, with junk in the yards, dogs running loose. Many areas look like no one puts any effort into their property. Schools that are not funded. I have met people here that cannot read. They need a dictionary to look up the words to read a simple sentence. People that don't seem to have much knowledge, about anything beyond their little neighborhood. Very backward city in Politics and outlook, or at least look like a city that makes an attempt to improve itself. Tucson look more like it is only 1 step above, being part of the most backward areas of Mexico. Definitely feels very backward with little zest for life.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:25 PM

1,398 posts, read 1,488,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I know... just like the Middle Ages: everybody driving around in cars and going to the mall!
Actually in Europe that kind of a lifestyle is seen backwards. Progressive people live in the cities, use public transportation etc.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:27 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
its relative, to me living in some suburban city in the middle of nowhere with the shopping mall as the main cultural/entertainment option is kinda of backwards

i am sure there more backwards places but from what I've been to these are the ones that come to my mind
What are you talking about? the local mega church is the main cultural/entertainment option around here...

Old 01-06-2015, 02:36 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
Actually in Europe that kind of a lifestyle is seen backwards. Progressive people live in the cities, use public transportation etc.
It may be seen as backwards by some people (including by many in North America too) but it has nothing to do with the Middle Ages.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:56 PM

1,398 posts, read 1,488,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It may be seen as backwards by some people (including by many in North America too) but it has nothing to do with the Middle Ages.
But in this context the Middle Age is used as a figure of speech.

Quote:
A figure of speech is figurative language in the form of a single word or phrase. It can be a special repetition, arrangement or omission of words with literal meaning, or a phrase with a specialized meaning not based on the literal meaning of the words.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:03 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Being progressive has nothing to do where you live and how you get around.... one can be progressive and live on a farm.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:14 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Being progressive has nothing to do where you live and how you get around.... one can be progressive and live on a farm.
Agree.
It's not about "what's around you."
It's about what's in YOU.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:35 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
But in this context the Middle Age is used as a figure of speech.
I still don't get it and my English is pretty good and I know what a figure of speech is.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:44 PM

18 posts, read 15,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjthejetplane View Post
Georgia, United States.
i don't know where you went, but georgia is actually pretty nice nature/people-wise

ok, well the people can be a bit backwards sometimes

and yes, atlanta has a lot of sprawl, but suburbs are a lot less dense then, like, phoenix, or boston, and plot sizes are bigger if atlanta suburbs are your thing

and nature-wise, georgia, especially anywhere from atlanta to the north, is beautiful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World