Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2008, 10:28 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
When I read the part about swearing allegiance to another country, it caught me off guard, I had never considered it before, but if your going to become a citizen of another country, it does make sense to honor it.
True, it makes sense to swear/affirm allegiance. No one wants trouble makers. But when you think about and get beyond what it sounds like to publicly accept a flag, the queen, whatever -- the legal "terms and conditions" if you will -- and instead consider that means in day-to-day living, changing your citizenship becomes less ominous. Provision being, of course, that you intend to stay in your host country for a long time. If that's the case, why not become a citizen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 10:29 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
unless you got buckets of money this is as good as it gets. where are the lines the longest? people become so memerized by their own complaining they begin to think we are living in a rotten country. also i have learned on CDF americans dont like other americans. most hated activity, looking in the mirror. live in another country, been there done that.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
where are the lines the longest?
In most cases, "the lines are longest" where economies hold promise, refuge offers safety, immigration barriers can be overcome, and distances are "traversable." I would say regionally this varies. My guess is that right now the lines are quite long leaving the Congo.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:00 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciggas View Post
go to australia it is clean, has nice people and you can buy a nice house in most cities for a cheap price. particually adelaide,melbourne,perth and the gold coast.
Unfortunately this is not true, 18 Australian cities were in the top 50 for least affordable:
Australian Housing Market Most Unaffordable in the World

Old 11-21-2008, 11:03 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by International Playgirl View Post
I have moved out of the country and found that there is a pretty fair amount of us who do this kind of thing. I was curious what other people are motivated by and where Ex-Pat's are headed for their "greener grasses".
My Utopian Quest landed me in Mexico, and we love it!
I have lived in Adelaide, South Australia and now Toronto.

Loved Oz, but my allergies were horrendous. It was expensive as well, but this has gotten better now that the AUD has tanked.

I like Toronto but found that its like New York without "all that stuff" (a quote from 30 Rock last night).

So my utopia is where I started: NYC.. as it seems to be the best of all places that I have lived.

I've travelled to 45 countries annd 47 states. I've lived in 5 countries. NYC and the Metro Area still pulls at my heart strings. Some people hate it.. I love it.. even more..

Old 11-23-2008, 07:47 PM

89 posts, read 303,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Speaking for my American boyfriend he headed for Scotland for a better life, he loves it here but obviously still loves his home land. Theres a uniqueness about both countries for sure.

Seems to be a hotspot for Americans these days. Where I live anyway.
If he really loved his homeland he never would have left. He is a traitor!

Old 11-23-2008, 08:40 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose1234 View Post
I know it might be hard for you to comprehend, but sometimes people leave their homeland for other reasons. Sometimes it's for the adventure and cultural experience, sometimes it's to be with an aging/dying parent or relative, sometimes it's for an education (yes, there are many excellent programs abroad) . Try not to be so small minded and judgmental about other people's choices in life. Often times leaving your homeland allows you to actually appreciate and love your country even more.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose1234 View Post
I know it sometimes seems as though America is on its way to being "hermetically sealed" where no one gets in or out, but it hasn't happened yet.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:20 AM

378 posts, read 626,207 times
I think everyone living in the U.S. can obviously see it's a ticking time bomb. Mass illegal immigration invasion, morals destroyed, a messed up economy, no one on the same page, etc. I'm thinking of moving to Ireland, personally.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:26 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17271 View Post
I think everyone living in the U.S. can obviously see it's a ticking time bomb. Mass illegal immigration invasion, morals destroyed, a messed up economy, no one on the same page, etc. I'm thinking of moving to Ireland, personally.
With the exception of the going to Ireland part. Comments like these have been made by people in this country every generation for the last 200 years. However, by all means, please leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World