Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 06:32 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times

Advertisements

As we approach MLK Day, I was wondering if there are any countries in the world where a member of the European Minority is revered as a national hero by the country's non-European majority?

One that comes to mind is Simon Bolivar, the liberator of several mostly Indigenous South American countries.

Another is Norman Bethune, a Canadian doctor of hero status in Mao's China.

Albert Schweitzer, another doctor, is revered in some African countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 10:19 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,929,115 times
Annie Besant - India. Maybe not "national hero" status but still very respected.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:26 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,398,000 times
Is Martin Luther King revered outside of the US?

Old 01-16-2015, 11:12 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,529,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
He does not hold the same 'revered' place in society as he does in the US for obvious reasons, but he is still a highly respected historical figure, similar to the way people in the US might think about Mahatma Gandhi.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:35 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
As we approach MLK Day, I was wondering if there are any countries in the world where a member of the European Minority is revered as a national hero by the country's non-European majority?

One that comes to mind is Simon Bolivar, the liberator of several mostly Indigenous South American countries.

Another is Norman Bethune, a Canadian doctor of hero status in Mao's China.

Interesting fact about Simon Bolivar
His dad died when he was about 4 and his mom when he was about 10
because of his mother's health problems and death he was breatfed and raised by his nanny/slave "Hipolita" who later on as an adult he would refer to her in letters as his mother.

Liberator of Nations, Page 1

Old 01-16-2015, 11:41 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
No... Why should he? "I have a dream"... the hell do I care. Here black people have always had the right to sit in the front of the bus.

Do Americans celebrate field marshal Mannerheim or Jean Sibelius? Probably not. So why should we celebrate Martin Luther King?

PS. No slavery since the 12th century.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:45 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,697,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
No... Why should he? "I have a dream"... the hell do I care. Here black people have always had the right to sit in the front of the bus.

Do Americans celebrate field marshal Mannerheim or Jean Sibelius? Probably not. So why should we celebrate Martin Luther King?

PS. No slavery since the 12th century.
That's because the country you come from has probably had no real power or global importance since the 12th century. The British, Spanish, and Portuguese did....

Old 01-16-2015, 12:03 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,398,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
He does not hold the same 'revered' place in society as he does in the US for obvious reasons, but he is still a highly respected historical figure, similar to the way people in the US might think about Mahatma Gandhi.
Thanks for your calm rational answer. As an American, I had no way of knowing the level until you explained it.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:08 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

Are you sure about this? I think he's revered mainly outside Africa, especially in Germany, where he was from. It's not like in Gabon, and elsewhere, they have an Albert Schweitzer Day.

Criticism of Schweitzer[edit]
Schweitzer was nonetheless still sometimes accused of being paternalistic, colonialist and racist in his attitude towards Africans, and in some ways his views did differ from that of many liberals and other critics of colonialism. For instance, he thought Gabonese independence came too early, without adequate education or accommodation to local circumstances. Edgar Berman quotes Schweitzer as having said in 1960:[35]

"No society can go from the primeval directly to an industrial state without losing the leavening that time and an agricultural period allow."

Chinua Achebe has quoted Schweitzer as saying: "The African is indeed my brother but my junior brother,"[36] which Achebe criticized him for, though Achebe seems to acknowledge that Schweitzer's use of the word "brother" at all was, for a European of the early 20th century, an unusual expression of human solidarity between whites and blacks. Schweitzer was more likely speaking in terms of modern civilization than of class relationship of man; this would be consistent with his later statement that "The time for speaking of older and younger brothers has passed.",[37] and his discussion of the modernization of "primeval" societies. Later in life he became more convinced that "modern civilization" was actually inferior to or the same as previous cultures in terms of morality.

The journalist James Cameron visited Lambaréné in 1953 (when Schweitzer was 78) and found significant flaws in the practices and attitudes of Schweitzer and his staff. The hospital suffered from squalor and was without modern amenities, and Schweitzer had little contact with the local people.[38] Cameron did not make public what he had seen at the time: according to a recent BBC dramatisation,[39] he made the unusual journalistic decision to withhold the story, and resisted the expressed wish of his employers to publish an exposé.

American journalist John Gunther also visited Lambaréné in the 1950s and reported Schweitzer's patronizing attitude towards Africans. He also noted the lack of Africans trained to be skilled workers.[40] After three decades in Africa Schweitzer still depended on Europe for nurses. One of those, Roslï Näf, assisted him for three years before returning to Europe to work with the Red Cross during World War II. By comparison, his contemporary Sir Albert Cook in Uganda had been training nurses and midwives since the 1910s and had published a manual of midwifery in the local language of Luganda.[41]

Old 01-16-2015, 01:30 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
The French find American civil rights heroes important enough to name a train station after them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_Parks_(Paris_RER)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World