Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 06:57 AM

270 posts, read 837,947 times

Advertisements

I've heard that Indian culture is extremely conservative in appearance, attitudes toward sexuality, arts and entertainment, and pretty much all other aspects of their culture. They also happen to be a poor country, I'm not sure if there is a connection. For anyone who knows a lot about this country, do you see any trends towards cultural liberalization? Do you think within our lifetime, Indian culture will be about as open as Western culture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 08:33 AM

159 posts, read 177,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD1985 View Post
I've heard that Indian culture is extremely conservative in appearance, attitudes toward sexuality, arts and entertainment, and pretty much all other aspects of their culture. They also happen to be a poor country, I'm not sure if there is a connection. For anyone who knows a lot about this country, do you see any trends towards cultural liberalization? Do you think within our lifetime, Indian culture will be about as open as Western culture?
For how long has our "western culture" been liberal during its history?

For how long has our "western culture" been prosperous during its history?

What you learn from history is that many dying cultures go through a mordant flourish at the end of their life spans even as the last vestiges of the civility imparted on it by former generations (the generations who built that culture to greatness) slowly fade away.

My opinion is: don't foist our own failures onto the rest of the developing world.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:35 AM

I guess I'm just too historically ignorant to understand the point you were making :-/

Old 01-22-2015, 08:47 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Societal_collapse

Though a wikipedia article, this has some pretty good links at the reference section.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:54 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,171,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUMBONyc View Post
For how long has our "western culture" been liberal during its history?

For how long has our "western culture" been prosperous during its history?

What you learn from history is that many dying cultures go through a mordant flourish at the end of their life spans even as the last vestiges of the civility imparted on it by former generations (the generations who built that culture to greatness) slowly fade away.

My opinion is: don't foist our own failures onto the rest of the developing world.
The OP asked about Indian culture and its degree of liberalization with regards to various social issues, and you gave him a lecture about "western civilization's imminent collapse". Whose to say India and other developing countries will also be facing imminent crisis and collapse - just having a relatively high GDP growth in the short run says nothing about a culture's success and resilience in the long run.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:59 AM

531 posts, read 594,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
The OP asked about Indian culture and its degree of liberalization with regards to various social issues, and you gave him a lecture about "western civilization's imminent collapse". Whose to say India and other developing countries will also be facing imminent crisis and collapse - just having a relatively high GDP growth in the short run says nothing about a culture's success and resilience in the long run.
You've not understood the point. Though it may not answer the OP it challenges its most important premise: Why should we strive to turn other cultures into mirror images of our own when we have reason to believe that it may not necessarily be a good thing?

Old 01-22-2015, 09:12 AM

367 posts, read 409,189 times
They are becoming more liberal as they become exposed to western television, pop music and so on. They're also taking on many of our nastier habits.

Personally, I generally like to be around traditionally brought up Indians than those who are westernized. The former tend to be much more pleasant, a bit more humble and easy to get on with. Among westernized Indians, I come across far too many who are sensitive about status and project this phlegmatic attitude that can be a bit uncomfortable.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineBlue View Post
They are becoming more liberal as they become exposed to western television, pop music and so on. They're also taking on many of our nastier habits.

Personally, I generally like to be around traditionally brought up Indians than those who are westernized. The former tend to be much more pleasant, a bit more humble and easy to get on with. Among westernized Indians, I come across far too many who are sensitive about status and project this phlegmatic attitude that can be a bit uncomfortable.
Are you referring to Indians who live in their native country, or differences between first and second generation Indian immigrants in your own country?

Old 01-22-2015, 09:43 AM

367 posts, read 409,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUMBONyc View Post
Are you referring to Indians who live in their native country, or differences between first and second generation Indian immigrants in your own country?
You're right but I can't see how it'll be that much different for Indians living in their home country.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggin of Rum View Post
You've not understood the point. Though it may not answer the OP it challenges its most important premise: Why should we strive to turn other cultures into mirror images of our own when we have reason to believe that it may not necessarily be a good thing?
If possible I would like to avoid the "what is best" conversation in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World