U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 05:13 AM

21,141 posts, read 22,394,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Like I said, my main reasons for not being even slightly interested in ever living there are the typical issues I have with very large, congested cities and their cost of living. I don't care for the pace of life, the cost of living, etc. To each his own. I prefer living in a smaller city.
I can see how a person who is used to living in a wide open area wouldn't like living in a more congested place. Personally, I have no problems dealing with traffic because I've been working from home for years now. Admittedly, when I used to drive to work, the traffic got horrible on too many occasions.

I do find the cost of living here kind of annoying - that is my least favorite thing about living in the Washington DC area. However, I was able to refinance my mortgage at a pretty low rate a few years ago and that helped out my family's financial situation significantly.

All in all, most people here accept the high cost of living because of the exceptional job market, access to so many amenities and the practically endless things to explore and do in this area and region. Still, it would be nice to be able to live in a huge house for the same amount that my current house is worth. Life is all about trade offs, I guess.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 08:05 AM

56,615 posts, read 44,901,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I can see how a person who is used to living in a wide open area wouldn't like living in a more congested place. Personally, I have no problems dealing with traffic because I've been working from home for years now. Admittedly, when I used to drive to work, the traffic got horrible on too many occasions.

I do find the cost of living here kind of annoying - that is my least favorite thing about living in the Washington DC area. However, I was able to refinance my mortgage at a pretty low rate a few years ago and that helped out my family's financial situation significantly.

All in all, most people here accept the high cost of living because of the exceptional job market, access to so many amenities and the practically endless things to explore and do in this area and region. Still, it would be nice to be able to live in a huge house for the same amount that my current house is worth. Life is all about trade offs, I guess.
LOL I guess so - my personal trade off is that I have foregone living in my very favorite state (Virginia) to live in my second favorite state (Texas) to be close to family. But I'm so happy here that I don't consider it a matter of a trade off. My husband and I could live literally anywhere due to the nature of his work, as long as we live near an airport and in fact we did consider moving out of state a couple of years ago but we decided when we weighed all our options that Texas was the best fit for us overall.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:28 PM

13,711 posts, read 18,224,361 times
I worked inside the Beltway for almost ten years. Not a bad place as cities go but I much prefer dusty rural Texas South Plains.

Out here we have a lawyer behind every tree and a politician over every hill.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:30 AM

4,666 posts, read 3,025,441 times
yes, jakarta, like it as vacation, but considering living there is another thing...
have some relatives there though

Old 08-01-2015, 04:18 PM

852 posts, read 896,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by User1771 View Post
If you have, what is your story on how you got there? What was it like?
Yes, I was already in adult when I went to DF the first time and it was truly an overwhelming experience. The city has all the goods and bads of any other city, but in big quantities.
Incidentally, I visited DC before Mexico City. The mall, the museums, the white monuments and the Capitol are impressive, but the city not so much.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:37 PM

7,668 posts, read 4,563,141 times
Yes a few times.

Some other countries aswell.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:38 PM

5,445 posts, read 3,939,481 times
Yes I have, in 2008. Good interesting question OP, there are plenty of Americans and people around the world who have not been to their country's respective capital.

I was one of them once until age 21.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:41 PM

12,315 posts, read 3,908,161 times
Yes, grew up in the surrounding area. Been there more times than I can count...

Old 08-01-2015, 08:44 PM

4,715 posts, read 2,776,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
I was born there.

Me, too.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:07 PM

4,715 posts, read 2,776,076 times
As a child growing up in DC, it was an idyllic life. Family, neighbors, magnolia trees, beautiful art and architecture, the lore of American history in a slow southern style. It's truly a beautiful city. Funny that some say it is a 'big city', when, for someone who has lived there their entire life, it is actually a small town. I'm from a family that has lived in DC and surrounding areas since the 1600's, so obviously we see it differently.

When we were young, my siblings and I practically lived in the Capitol (kind of hard to imagine a time when all one had to do was walk in and explore, but there was such a time); the Lincoln, Washington and Jefferson monuments; National Gallery of Art and the Smithsonian, etc. There also are tons of museums you've never heard of, but somehow as kids we found them!

BTW, I've always felt that every citizen of the US should be allowed a free trip to DC after completing high school through some kind of a national civics program.

I've also visited capital cities of other countries and I've been amazed that so many of their citizens have not visited (places like Madrid), same as in the US with DC; however, I find that this is true even of people in any given state in the US- they haven't visited their state capital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World