Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 11:17 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times

Advertisements

The relationship between France and the U.S. is based on our mutual support in revolutions that were based on similar themes of liberty and equality, and the viability of republic forms of government arising from enlightenment philosophy.

On a more practical level, yes, the American system is much more derivative of British legal and governmental forms.

France in the air, Britain on the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 11:39 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Yep. Not patriotic.

I think you and I have both agreed that "America the beautiful" should be your national anthem.
I totally agree with this. It's my favorite song about our nation's beauty - and glory.

On that terrible day of 9/11, our local churches spontaneously filled at noon, and then again around 6 pm. They were packed with strangers in fact. People from surrounding neighborhoods streamed into the churches, and it didn't even seem to matter what denomination the church was.

One of my most poignant memories is of standing shoulder to shoulder in a church packed with fellow Americans I had never met, and singing this beautiful song together. There was hardly a dry eye in the place, but when we reached the lines about "alabaster cities" the entire audience literally choked up and the song nearly stopped. At that point - and this was totally spontaneous - strangers reached out and grabbed the hands of the people standing next to them and pushed through those heart wrenching lines and continued to sing.

I realized then that though we may seem to be divided politically, when we are attacked from the outside, we close ranks and cling together - and I think that's good.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:49 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Venezuela
I guess is more "Pro-Freedom" than "Patriotic"

Gloria al Bravo Pueblo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-10-2015, 12:39 PM

1,398 posts, read 1,488,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
You're probably right. Americans have this love/hate relationship with France.
Both two countries definately share same values and history

Old 02-10-2015, 01:17 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The relationship between France and the U.S. is based on our mutual support in revolutions that were based on similar themes of liberty and equality, and the viability of republic forms of government arising from enlightenment philosophy.

On a more practical level, yes, the American system is much more derivative of British legal and governmental forms.

France in the air, Britain on the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
Both two countries definately share same values and history
Good points. Our Statue Of Liberty was a gift from France. the French revolution was influenced byt he American one.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:08 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The USA is one of relatively few that rejoice over the glory of war.
doubt that , my own countries national anthem celebrates it

Old 02-13-2015, 02:20 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
Good points. Our Statue Of Liberty was a gift from France. the French revolution was influenced by the American one.
And vice versa.

I grew up near a street called Lafayette Avenue (pigeonhole, look up Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de Lafayette and study France's role in the US revolution, aka its secession from the British Empire), and not too far from the Statue of Liberty either.

In fact, I believe that the concept of Lady Liberty comes from French political philosophers of the so-called enlightenment (anti-European king) era. There are other monuments to her in New York State and possibly elsewhere in the US, and she is featured on some US coinage - and not the Queen of England like in Canada and maybe Australia and New Zealand.

In any case, the British, French, and US, and their other offshoots, are an incestuous bunch, prone to both infighting and love-making all at the same time, and there is nothing unusual about that among groups of humans.

Anyway, yes, the point of national anthems is to be patriotic. The US national anthem is fine the way it is, no need to change it.

My favorite, though, by far, is Canada's.

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons' command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free!

Finally, most, if not all, nation-states, and many other political-economic entities throughout history, have been carved out by war and conquest in some form or another. That is quite normal among groups of humans, and it is useless to pretend otherwise.

Last edited by bale002; 02-13-2015 at 02:35 AM..

Old 02-13-2015, 04:30 PM

723 posts, read 806,129 times
Quote:
Good points. Our Statue Of Liberty was a gift from France. the French revolution was influenced byt he American one.
And Lafayette helped us kick the butts of the British.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:05 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePage View Post
And Lafayette helped us kick the butts of the British.
Right, and shortly after the Revolutionary War, at least one of my ancestors was named Lafayette. I always thought that was cool.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:38 AM

1,398 posts, read 1,488,539 times
Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World