Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 12:43 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times

Advertisements

What do you associate the cardinal directions with, aside from the obvious of climate? I associate the West with heat, wealth, sun, and progressivism, as in the West Coast of the US or the "Western world". Places like Cornwall, California, and Spain epitomize the "Western spirit". The East I associate with Asian culture obviously and with cold and humid weather, traditionalism, and dense population. Places like Shanghai, Ohio, and Moscow are very "Eastern".

I associate the South with poverty, though obviously there's some exceptions like England where the north is the poor part. "Southern" places include Africa, Wales, the Appalachians and the Phillippines. We use the term "Global South" to distinguish it from the "Global North" which means the West + Developed Asia. The North I associate with solitude and reservedness as well as a sense of wonder, and of course sparse population and wildness in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 12:10 AM

2,652 posts, read 3,410,408 times
North : Serenity, Paleness, Organized, Diligence, Industrialized, Neutral, Impassive, Calm, Quality, Blue, Tall, Big, Sharpness, Bravery, Open-minded, Liberty
East : Oriental, New, Rise(Sun), Populous, Alive, Active, Dazzling, Primary, Original, Dense
South : Laid-back, Irregularity, Easy going, Optimistic, Emotional, Passionate, Fertility, Solar, Warm, Swarthy, Quantity, Red, Short, Small, Traditional
West : Occidental, Old, Fall(Sun), Desolate, Tranquility, Arid, Secondary, Derivative, Sparse

Old 02-09-2015, 12:29 AM

2,652 posts, read 3,410,408 times
My favorite direction is Northeast (Those regions in North America, Asia & Western Europe as well.)

Old 02-09-2015, 12:52 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
What do you associate the cardinal directions with, aside from the obvious of climate? I associate the West with heat, wealth, sun, and progressivism, as in the West Coast of the US or the "Western world". Places like Cornwall, California, and Spain epitomize the "Western spirit". The East I associate with Asian culture obviously and with cold and humid weather, traditionalism, and dense population. Places like Shanghai, Ohio, and Moscow are very "Eastern".

I associate the South with poverty, though obviously there's some exceptions like England where the north is the poor part. "Southern" places include Africa, Wales, the Appalachians and the Phillippines. We use the term "Global South" to distinguish it from the "Global North" which means the West + Developed Asia. The North I associate with solitude and reservedness as well as a sense of wonder, and of course sparse population and wildness in general.
One of these things does not belong here.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:20 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
One of these things does not belong here.

Maybe he was referring to Shanghai Mama's Chinese restaurant, in Cincinnati? lol

Old 02-09-2015, 07:40 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I used to have an excellent sense of direction -- at any moment, I knew exactly which way was which, and I can associate certain memories because I remember which way I was facing at the time of an event.

But I lost all that, after a few extended trips south of the Equator. Because when in the southern hemisphere, the sun passes across the sky from right to left. You don't consciously realize it, but your sense of bearing is based on your subconscious awareness that the sun moves across the sky from left to right, and your body clock accommodates for that as the day passes.. When that compass gets reversed, the always-reliable cues are no longer valid.

Farmers have a very keen sense of direction. The first time I went to a Kansas farm auction, the auctioneer held up two similar shovels, and took a bid on either of them. When the winning bidder was asked which one he wanted, he said "The east one" -- while a city person would have said "the one in your right hand". That seemed quaint at the time, but I later learned that it is universal among farmers.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:11 AM

27,565 posts, read 28,665,617 times
1. Eastern U.S.

2. Western Europe

3. East Asia.

FTW :-)

Old 02-09-2015, 08:20 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,429,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I used to have an excellent sense of direction -- at any moment, I knew exactly which way was which, and I can associate certain memories because I remember which way I was facing at the time of an event.

But I lost all that, after a few extended trips south of the Equator. Because when in the southern hemisphere, the sun passes across the sky from right to left. You don't consciously realize it, but your sense of bearing is based on your subconscious awareness that the sun moves across the sky from left to right, and your body clock accommodates for that as the day passes.. When that compass gets reversed, the always-reliable cues are no longer valid.

Farmers have a very keen sense of direction. The first time I went to a Kansas farm auction, the auctioneer held up two similar shovels, and took a bid on either of them. When the winning bidder was asked which one he wanted, he said "The east one" -- while a city person would have said "the one in your right hand". That seemed quaint at the time, but I later learned that it is universal among farmers.
Your post confuses me. The sun moves from east to west regardless of where you are on the planet. I can't understand what you are trying to say about the sun moving left or right. That only depends on which way you happen to be facing and you can certainly face north in either hemisphere as long as you are not standing on the north pole.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:41 AM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post

Sorry to say the US climate is VERY humid, California including, where in Moscow the air is very dry. Cold - yes, but dry.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:51 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unihills View Post
Your post confuses me. The sun moves from east to west regardless of where you are on the planet. I can't understand what you are trying to say about the sun moving left or right. That only depends on which way you happen to be facing and you can certainly face north in either hemisphere as long as you are not standing on the north pole.
And which way do you have to be facing, to watch the movement of the sun across the sky? Toward it, or away from it? If you want to stand with your back to the sun, you can get the same effect by watching your shadow.

In Chicago, your shadow will rotate around you going clockwise, from your left to your right.. In Cape Town, your shadow will move counter-clockwise, from your right to your left. So does the shadow on a sundial, which is why clocks are made with the hands turning that way. Clocks were were invented by people who didn't even know there was a southern hemisphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World